cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Build Log] X7900D Corsair 900d with the First LED Midpanel

abirli
Level 7

Hey ROG and Welcome to My first build log

Working Title for this project is x7900D because it is an x79 system in a Corsair 900d!

i was fortunate to get the 900d form one of the first shipments from ******, This case is huge! i've never seen any case this big before in person!

I got lucky with a lot of these parts, finding them on craiglist or **** for cheap.

The Specs:
Motherboard: Asus RIVE
Processor: I7 3930k
SSD- OCZ Vertex 4 256 x 2 in Raid 0
PSU- Corsair ax1200
Case- Corsair 900D
Ram- Kingston Hyper x 1600mhz x 32GB
GPUs- Evga Titans

The Cooling:
Coolgate 480 Rad
Coolgate 360 Rad
EK Supremecy
EK Titan Blocks
Ek 250 res
Ek Res/Pump combo
Switfech MCP655
1/2" fittings
a ton of Corsair AF and SP fans

now for some pictures. This is my first time trying to take nice photos so please dont hate on me too hard. i used my bed sheet that is wrinkled and my iphone 😄

This case is massive!

Now, i've always wanted a Asus Rampage board but i hate the red and black color scheme, i was so happy to see the Black RIVE only to find out it wasnt a production product, so i painted mine! i didnt get too deep into the RAM slots because they wouldnt be visible

Heres the CPU

Corsair AX1200- my Neighbor gave this to me for free!

This is just half of the fans! i have a total of 17 fans i think?

Ram

Coolgate 480

SSDs, these already had the OS on them so i had to make sure i kept them in the right order

Pump- this thing was way bigger than i thought (thats what she said :D)

EK res

and one of two Titans

23 REPLIES 23

abirli
Level 7
UPDATE Time.

things are starting to finally come together, i had a good bit of time this weekend to sit down and crank out the work!

First copied my template over to the white plexi and cut it out. i also marked and cut holes for the cables

Once that was complete, it was time to cut the black plexi piece, so i transferred the template over. and scored it

but when i went to snap it it broke :mad: :doh:

so now that piece is ruined. but not to fear i have an idea to get me close to where i wanted to be!

so i did some masking

and bought out my trusty friend PLASTI DIP!!! i love this stuff

tacked it up

layer 2

layer 3,4,5,6!

peeled the tape off, and there ya go! not exactly how i had it planned but until i take the measurements and what not for the black plexi piece, this will do.

oh in the mean time while the paint was drying, i decided to redo the ssd panel. the carbon got all dirty and i wasnt happy with the cuts

Installed

I also tackled most of the sleeving! i originally wanted to use heatshrink, as i think if you can pull it off perfectly it looks the best. but after many tries, my hat goes off to you all who use heatshrink, it is so hard to get a consistent and uniform look for it even with the tools!

so i went the shrinkless route

4 pin cpu

8 pin and 4 pin cpu together

photo DSCF0605_zps24d0fdd7.jpg

24 pin

getting close!

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!][/SPOILER]

and i leave you for now with some extra led panel bonus picks

and of course

xXx
Level 10
Dude , nice. Its gonna be awesome..
4 GHz 4790K i7@ 4.6GHz (1.18v) , 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Dominator GT , Asus Maximus VI Formula Motherboard , Cosair GT 240 GB ( Boot )
Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower Case , Asus GTX 680, LG Blu -Ray combo , Cosair HX 1000 PSU , Custom water loop.( EK and Rasa )

abirli
Level 7
thanks man

abirli
Level 7
ok small update

yesterday i wired up the fans for the quad rad. this seems like an easy task but holy smokes is it difficult with all black wires! it took me almost 2 hours to complete one side of the rad. of course i didnt get the wiring right on the first try so i had to desolder and then wire again. thankfully i got 3/4 right.

The second side took a little less time to complete and, this time i got it right! unfortunately i did a much better job on this side so now i had to redo the other side. and wouldnt you know, i'm out of the proper shrink ughhh so more of thats on the way and then ill take pictures of the finished product!

since i also miscalculated how many fittings i would need, i had to order those as well. nothing like spending 7 dollars in shipping for a 6 dollar fitting!

so in the mean time i decided to tackle the cable management of the back side. i love the clean wire management that many of you all implemented so i did my best at routing and securing.

heres all the wires from the front panel, the sata data and power. Also the pump wire, and the top rad wires. soooo many wires!

and after much manhandling heres how it looks now

wide view of the front panel, sata, 24 pin, 4 and 8 pin cpu

4 and 8 pin cpu

24 pin

Thats it for now!, until my fittings arrive im going to resleeve (again) the led panel wires. sleeve and possibly extend the front fan wires. sleeve and extend the rear fan wires. reshrink the front panel connectors.

thanks!

Brilliant work man, loving it so far !

LeviathanPT wrote:
Brilliant work man, loving it so far !

thanks man

slowly getting there, realized that my fittings arent going to work. :mad: so i ordered compressions. if anyone wants to buy my bp 1/2" low profile fittings let me know. theyve only been installed not used.

anyway, i tackled the first hole for the gpu water loop

masked off the area:

cant really see it but the titans are installed with fittings.

i marked where i wanted the hole and used one of my favorite bits!

drilled through it to the proper diameter

installed tubes, i will keep working the tubes to get it straight since i have to take it apart anyways for the new fittings

slowly getting there, realized that my fittings arent going to work. :mad: so i ordered compressions. if anyone wants to buy my bp 1/2" low profile fittings let me know. theyve only been installed not used.

anyway, i tackled the first hole for the gpu water loop

masked off the area:

cant really see it but the titans are installed with fittings.

i marked where i wanted the hole and used one of my favorite bits!

drilled through it to the proper diameter

installed tubes, i will keep working the tubes to get it straight since i have to take it apart anyways for the new fittings

Skull6
Level 10
Awesome looking build so far. & I hope your new photography companion is working out--he's evidently a friend of mine. Please tell him Skull6 says "Hi!"

Oh, & I have to ask... Based on the 1st two pics you've posted...is Captain Morgan one of your sponsors?! 😉
"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. & if you can't pick it up...paint it RED & BLACK !!"
G75VW-BBK5 {stock}

............ Macrium Reflect ..................Full G55VW/G75VW model list!

phillyd
Level 7
subbed! nice looking build man.
Philly D Mods fan page!
Follow me on Twitter!
Build logs!
Pride and Prodigy (awaiting approval)