cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Build Log] Project: Xyla, a Custom DIY Water-cooled PC Desk

TechKhris
Level 7

Project: Xyla is a personal custom project of mine that I have been designing for some time now. This was my first time using a 3D modeling software and as much as I enjoyed designing it, I am eager to actually start building now. It is a scratch DIY PC desk build so this will take some time as I want knockout any imperfections as I go. Overall it is my third computer build and my first custom water cooled system as well. I’ve done tons of research on the dos and don’ts of watercooling so in theory, I shouldn’t run into any problems (major ones at least). I’ve always had a big interest for DIY anything, but more so for computer technology and such. It’ll be a fun project, modding is always fun.

It took me a few months+ to design this... Sad to say that long (first time using SketchUp ever) but I went in detail about literally everything in here (I will post more pictures down the road). I wanted to make a "manual" for myself when I start building this project.

As for assembly for the desk, the main parts will be CNC milled and every other part will be done with power tools and a touch of pixie dust. I’m going to stain the legs dark, carbon fiber wrap the desk’s “guts and skin”, and paint everything else matte black. The glass will be custom cut and tempered for durability.

I will be using MDPC-X for sleeving all PSU cables and other computer wires to make cable management as easy and as pretty as possible. All other visible wires (fans wires, LED wires, etc.) will be in accordance with this colorway as well. I have received*my MDPC sample kit and these cable sleeves are stunning! I can't wait to start sleeving these.

I am pretty patient when it comes to building anything but if there seems to be any flaws or something that seems like it wouldn’t work, please feel free to let me know. I am open to your beautiful minds.

PC Components

CPU: Intel 8600K*

Cooling: EKWB Cooling

MOBO: Asus ROG Strix Z370-E**

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3000MHz

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 1080 Ti (ordered - on back-order fml)

Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

Seagate 2TB FireCuda Gaming SSHD

PSU: Corsair HX1000i 80+ Platinum

Keyboard: Corsair K70 Lux

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro

Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Speakers: Logitech Z623 2.1 Speaker System

Monitor: TBD (haven't decided, would like your opinion)

Desk Components

4x Corsair LL120 RGB fans

3/4" Plywood by Columbia Forest Products

1/4" Frosted Plexi-glass

A lot of Black Carbon Fiber Wrap

A lot of LED strips

2x 20" 100 lbs Gas Prop

2x 10" Drawer Slides

Lian Li USB 3.0 & Power/Reset Button 5.25" Bay

USB 3.0 & Audio Output/Microphone Input 3.5" Bay

5 Military Switch 5.25" Bay

Kingwin LCD Fan Controller 5.25" Bay

*Awaiting Cannon Lake/Ice Lake - also depends if it’s worth to get or not.

**May change if Z370 chipset does not support Cannon Lake or Ice Lake (most likely won’t support)

Overall, this project is not immediate as I expect it to take over a couple to several months with my available free time.
0 REPLIES 0