cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awesome looking modified PC case with lighted ROG logo

asura1987
Level 7
These are not my personal pics, i got them from the internet.
The reason i am posting it here is can anybody tell me the way to make this modification.
Do we cut out the logo shape in the plastic of the 5.25" drive bay and then light it from behind.
Also how is the lighting done.

Any ideas, please help. The forum from where i got these pics, nobody tells the technique.
They keep it secret.

2 REPLIES 2

BarneyC
Level 8
Plenty of ways to do the cutting. Personally I'd throw it in one of the laser cutters we have here on campus. BUT fair play those aren't general household items. Manually I'd make a template first, probably from some light card.

Then I would use masking tape to fully cover the area on the case where I wanted the logo, and transfer the template to the masking tape.

Given you want the front edges to look sweet I'd put a drill bit through the case from the front somewhere in the middle of one of the cut outs and using either a small hand scroll saw (or even better a machine one) I'd carefully cut out each piece.

Finally I'd use some light grit paper to very carefully clean up the edges and smooth out any misshapen curves.

As for backlighting, affix some coloured perspex behind the cutouts (say some that is translucent white, and same in red) and use a diffuse LED light. You could get tricksy with the lighting but that way it is simpler.

BarneyC wrote:
Plenty of ways to do the cutting. Personally I'd throw it in one of the laser cutters we have here on campus. BUT fair play those aren't general household items. Manually I'd make a template first, probably from some light card.

Then I would use masking tape to fully cover the area on the case where I wanted the logo, and transfer the template to the masking tape.

Given you want the front edges to look sweet I'd put a drill bit through the case from the front somewhere in the middle of one of the cut outs and using either a small hand scroll saw (or even better a machine one) I'd carefully cut out each piece.

Finally I'd use some light grit paper to very carefully clean up the edges and smooth out any misshapen curves.

As for backlighting, affix some coloured perspex behind the cutouts (say some that is translucent white, and same in red) and use a diffuse LED light. You could get tricksy with the lighting but that way it is simpler.

Thanks for the method.