cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG MicroATX Monster

Bozzified
Level 7
I've been building monster ATX computers for years but as I grew older and want to have a workstation for work and occasional quality gaming I've decided to go small this time around. Wanted to keep things clean.

ASUS plays a big role in this build.. Everything I could get from ASUS I did.. however I'm really sad that the new ROG Keyboard and ROG Gladius mouse are still not out, including the ROG 27" Display.

I was a bit disappointed that the new ROG monitors are TN panel based and while I would have waited I do graphics design and coding and stuff and I really benefit from an IPS display. So I ended up getting two ASUS PB27Qs which are fantastic.

The build:
i7 4930k 6-core Ivy Bridge
ASUS Rampage IV Gene X79 microATX
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2133Mhz
Corsair RM850 (full modular)
ASUS GTX 780 Poseidon 3gb
Corsair H100i Water Cooling (with Cougar silent fans)
2x Samsung 840 EVO 256gb in RAID0 (OSX system)
Samsung 840 512gb (Windows 8.1 system)
2TB Hybrid HDD/SSD 7200rpm (projects/cloud storage as I upgraded my NAS device as Time Machine/Backup with 4x4TB drives so no need for more storage in the machine)
ASUS OC Panel
Stunningly beautiful brushed aluminum Lian Li PC-V360B (miniATX case)
2x ASUS PB27Q 27" PLS 2560x1440 displays
Keyboard: Will have to go with Corsair K70 with blue switches on this
Mouse: Razer Black Mamba (red hue) - I would kill if I could get ASUS Gladius ROG right now and keyboard but I'll have to pick it up when it is finally released. Does anyone know when they will be available for purchase?

A quick

Just so you get an idea how cool the little Lian Li case will be with this stuff (all black components - matte with red lights)

Will post more as I build but wanted to share as I'm very excited.
20 REPLIES 20

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
ROG Swift is available next month, the keyboard and mouse all we know so far I believe is Q3 sometime

Antronman
Level 10
I believe you need to put an i7-3xxxk into the RIVG in order to update the BIOS for use with i7-4xxxk.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
I believe you need to put an i7-3xxxk into the RIVG in order to update the BIOS for use with i7-4xxxk.

Is this seriously true? That seems like a big issue.. I mean I have 3930k in another machine but this sounds very unlikely.. anyone else had issues? I would have imagined that Newegg would have gotten new boards with updated BIOS considering I just bought the board.

I've read from everyone who has 4930k and other 4xxx series CPUs that instructions say to put the latest BIOS on the USB and plug it into the machine and you can flash it without an alternate CPU.

Having another CPU to flash BIOS would be a total disaster and nobody would buy this board for Ivy Bridge setups.

totalrognoob
Level 7
From what I can tell you don't need a CPU, the info page shows an empty board, where you just plug in power and go.
No CPU or memory install is needed, only the ATX power connector is required.

If it doesn't work that would be an issue that should be reported, so the official page can be updated.
Also, it seems like the motherboard might not support the OC panel, just FYI.

Firedcylinder
Level 7
Yeah that motherboard does not work with the OC Panel. Everything looks good otherwise.

Also, with BIOS Flashback you will not need a processor or memory installed to update the BIOS. There are instructions in the user manual how to do it. You'll only need the ATX power hooked up to do it.
The Kraken
Xigmatek Aquila
Asus Rampage IV Gene
Intel i7-4820k
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR 3 1866MHz
Asus Geforce GTX 780Ti DirectCU II
NZXT Kraken x60
Corsair AX860
Creative Soundblaster ZX

Firedcylinder wrote:
Yeah that motherboard does not work with the OC Panel. Everything looks good otherwise.

Also, with BIOS Flashback you will not need a processor or memory installed to update the BIOS.

+1 Correct
rig looks great..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

X-ROG
Level 15
Just use BIOS Flashback and you'll be fine.

Looking forward to seeing the build!

Bozzified
Level 7
Well I am returning OC Panel (said about it but sadly it no go on Rampage board)..

And I picked up the Zalman wattage/amper/current controller which is pretty slick and useful as well

Ordered the metal ROG stickers.

Bozzified
Level 7
Wow this case is absolutely gorgeous, amazing quality and super small