cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use ROG software on non-ROG ASUS motherboards

Petosiris
Level 9
Hi!

I'm about to build a new PC and have bought most parts now, but a motherboard, M.2 SSD and RAM remains. I've had several ASUS MBs before and was thinking about the ProArt X570 Creator WiFi this time.

However, I also like the tools & utilities that are included with ROG MBs and wondered if it's possible to use, say, RAMcache III on the ProArt MB or is it only compatible with ROG MBs?

Sorry in advance if this question has been answered before. I tried to search the forum before posting but didn't find a relevant answer.

Edit: I'm of course willing to purchase a user license for the ROG software, if needed. A link to the store would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Petosiris
Best,
Petosiris           About me  |  PC specs  |  Favorite game  |  How to make a PC specs image and link to it in your signature
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

xeromist
Software cross-compatibility is going to be mixed(even among different ROG products). Plus, even if something works today, an update could break it. And if it's not intended for your product then it might not work again. The best guide would be what software is available on the support page for the specific product. If it's available on the support page then it will be supported on that hardware.

To my knowledge ASUS doesn't sell any of its software separately, but there are alternatives for just about any general purpose software. If you want to pay for caching I've used PrimoCache in the past and feel it's worth the price. The only reason I'm not still using it is I've since changed to all SSDs for local storage and those are fast enough for me (although PrimoCache does support RAM caching for SSDs).
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
Software cross-compatibility is going to be mixed(even among different ROG products). Plus, even if something works today, an update could break it. And if it's not intended for your product then it might not work again. The best guide would be what software is available on the support page for the specific product. If it's available on the support page then it will be supported on that hardware.

To my knowledge ASUS doesn't sell any of its software separately, but there are alternatives for just about any general purpose software. If you want to pay for caching I've used PrimoCache in the past and feel it's worth the price. The only reason I'm not still using it is I've since changed to all SSDs for local storage and those are fast enough for me (although PrimoCache does support RAM caching for SSDs).
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks for your reply. It's good advice.

Actually, after I posted my question I googled for other alternatives and found an article which linked to Romex Primo RamDisk on top, so I'm reading about it now. Romex also has PrimoCache I see. So you're right, there are good alternatives to ROG RAMcache III out there.

I'm not sure yet, but I think Primo RamDisk (or similar) may be best suited for my use. Will have to read carefully the feature specs of both Primo RamDisk and Primocache and see which one offers the most advanced fine tuning. I don't need to load an entire disk into RAM but only some game files (program and game assets primarily) so I'd like if I could specify which files to load into memory, not just which disk to monitor.

I will also use a fast SSD but I feel that loading things into memory, which they say is 100x faster to load from later, may be needed/wanted anyway. We'll see, I can add software later, after testing the SSD in gaming. But this is also one of my main reasons for buying lots of RAM.
Best,
Petosiris           About me  |  PC specs  |  Favorite game  |  How to make a PC specs image and link to it in your signature