cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded my G750J from Win8 to Win10. Step-by-step. Daebak (awesome).

yeongmin
Level 7
G750J
Used primarily for World of Warcraft. Some Video and Image Editing and watching Kpop videos.

Pre-Install Recommendations:
1. Always create the first user as "Admin". A password is not necessary, leave it blank.
Use this account to initially install updates, drivers and all your programs and if necessary, backup data and blow up/create user accounts.
Create a second account for yourself and use this account for your every day functions.

2. I don't use the touchpad. Disable it in the BIOS using F2 during a Reboot. (F2 is NOT available in cold boot.)
Do NOT install touchpad drivers. Windows will install basic drivers, that's fine; but any additional drivers will cause a Startup policy that uses unnecessary resources.

//-----

I upgraded to Windows 10 via DVD (used M$ Media Creation tool since I had to upgrade 4 other machines).
Selected Save Nothing option during installation.
*note: it still creates a "Windows.old" folder and puts all of the "User" folders in there.

After installation, run Windows Update. Reboot. Run Windows Update. Reboot if necessary.

Goto: http://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/

Download and install the Video Drivers.
-I recommend you do NOT install "Experience".

I had some sound; but distorted at higher volume and quality.
Download and install the corresponding Audio Drivers from the above site to solve issues.

Windows runs faster. World of Warcraft is perfect. Haven't seen the BSOD "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE".

//-----

Post-install Recommendations for EVERY account created:
1. Go through all the Privacy Settings and Disable as you see fit. I only have SmartScreen Filter enabled.
2. Go to: Updates & Security -> Windows Update -> Advanced Options -> Choose how updates are delivered.
Switch Off "Updates from more than one place".
3. NEVER update your video drivers from nVidia or anywhere else other than from ASUS. Ever.
4. If using the M$ Edge browser (I do), in the browser settings, goto Settings -> Advanced Settings and disable Flash until you need it.
5. Watch/listen to Kpop.
0 REPLIES 0