cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UAC prompt at startup since Windows 10 FCU (Led Service and GPU Fan Helper)

MaXeLL
Level 7
Hello,

since I updated my Windows 10 installation to the new Fall Creators Update (build 16299.15), everytime after i log into my account, I receive these two UAC prompts:

ledcontrolservice.exe and GpuFanHelper.exe, the first one is from this package:

AURA RGB Lighting Control for Graphic card & ROG-XG-STATION-2 (needed to control heatsink leds for a GTX1080 Strix O8G VGA)

The second one is from AI Suite 3 package for my Asus Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard.

I have to press everytime "Si/Yes" to make them disappear, then I can use my computer without any issues, but you know, it's very frustrating.

Obviously I tried to reinstall the two softwares, but it didn't resolve.

What I have to do?
108 REPLIES 108

JustinThyme wrote:
UAC is just tougher.
This is not on Windows this is on ASUS for not filling in the publisher name.
uninstall the program/programs run a sweep with Ccleaner. Delete all orphaned folders it left behind.
Reinstall it, do not select start with windows then create your own entry in task scheduler.

I did it does not do anything. the only difference is the author. Example, aura is asus. Gptweak is me. Even that. still asking me the UAC
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MaXeLL
Level 7
Asus simply needs to update their apps to make them compatible with the Fall Creators Update, nothing else. We, users, can't do anything about it.

I also got this issue after Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. Both GPU Tweak and Asus 'ledcontrolservice' now ask for UAC elevation after every reboot.

Windows FCU has some new "feature" that automatically opens user's applications after a reboot. If an app was started with elevated privileges this new feature doesn't automatically elevate the program after restart but instead asks for approval with UAC prompt.

Automatic launch of previous programs can be avoided by shutting them down manually before reboot, or by rebooting Windows from command line (shutdown.exe /s /hybrid /t 0). So far I haven't found any other way to bypass this issue.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/77djmf/how_to_stop_apps_restarting_upon_reboot/

Getting the same problem. Anyone know how I can disable it altogether? It's annoying as hell, fix it already Asus!

muurain wrote:

Automatic launch of previous programs can be avoided by shutting them down manually before reboot, or by rebooting Windows from command line (shutdown.exe /s /hybrid /t 0). So far I haven't found any other way to bypass this issue.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/77djmf/how_to_stop_apps_restarting_upon_reboot/

As the above user said it's due to the new Win 10 feature, and the installation / update process needing an "on reboot/ on restart" command, if you click restart from the start menu, it doesn't actually "restart" to a fresh boot state.

You can use Alt + F4 from the desktop to get to the old style shutdown menu and choose restart from there.

I made a shortcut for Shutdown.exe with the argument /r /t 0 which sits on my desktop.

mdzcpa
Level 12
Does need addressing still. I have 3 affected rigs in the house. thanks

As a work around for now until they address the issue this post on the previous page has fixed it for me.

You just use Alt-F4 from the desktop and select shutdown or reboot and no more annoying UAC msg.

He explains why it is doing it as well which hopefully someone from ASUS who reads these threads passes on to those writing the software.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Here is a work around from tenforums. You can add a shut down and restart context menu to the desktop right click. Works perfectly, credit to Brink at tenforums. Actually faster than clicking the start, shutdown then restart or shut down.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/95776-restart-fall-creators-update-reopens-apps-before-20....

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Here is a work around from tenforums. You can add a shut down and restart context menu to the desktop right click. Works perfectly, credit to Brink at tenforums. Actually faster than clicking the start, shutdown then restart or shut down.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/95776-restart-fall-creators-update-reopens-apps-before-20....

So you’d use the 5th selection for our purposes?

WowMags wrote:
So you’d use the 5th selection for our purposes?

I used the first selection to close apps and shut down with no warning. Thats like a normal shutdown used to be except for the warning that apps are open but whats the point of that pause is you already closed them?

If there are no apps open there are none to reload.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein