cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden framerate drops. Computer seems fine and optimal!

raggamuffin66
Level 7
I've recently been experiencing dips in framerate during the last week across all my games, even things that don't take up much power or space like Gone Home. I'm confused because this is happening on a two-month old ASUS gaming laptop which was working perfectly fine almost a week ago!

Solutions I've tried:

• Making sure the battery is connected

• Checking my security for malware

• Deleting heaviest mods (this was before I'd discovered it effected all games beyond Skyrim)

• Deleting unneeded save files

• Restarting the laptop

• Updating GeForce drivers

Could anyone recommend other solutions to try? The hiccups proceeded a few days of a heat wave in my house, but everything else is working fine and my temperature is remaining fair. It started exactly when I tried to play Skyrim and update SWTOR at the same time, causing a freeze which I had to pull the harddrive out and restart to fix.
14 REPLIES 14

abvolt
Level 11
welcome, do you game on battery only or do you plug your laptop in a wall outlet ? when I game on my laptop its never with the battery.
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

Nate152
I make it a habit to close all programs before running any updates. I'ts possible the cpu is throttling due to heat. Have you been monitoring your temps?

@abvolt
I always game while plugged into an outlet. I learned early on that these ASUS models throttle otherwise.

@Natel52
I ran a temp monitor after I discovered the low framerate. it was lagging even before it reached any temperature worth considering a risk, though I'll keep it under mind that heat could still be a problem (I live in florida. pretty humid)

and thanks for the quick responses 🙂

Nate152
If it is happening while gaming and it is not the cpu, let's take a look at the gpu temps.

@Natel52

Just performed an hour long test. GPU temp averaged at around 60 degrees celsius.

Nate152
Hmmm, If both cpu and gpu temps are fine we can rule out a throttling problem. Are you getting the low frames per second right off the bat or are you playing for a little while then it happens?

raggamuffin66
Level 7
it happens right as I start a game. there's been a 2-second framerate drop every time I open a Skyrim save, and continues in more minor fps drops. id give an exact fps number, but the performance monitor im usuing (skyrim performance monitor v3.54) lists my fps as non-applicable. would you like me to download FRAPS and provide an average?

Nate152
No that's ok, When you updated the NVidia driver, did you do a custom install and check the box that says perform a clean installation?

raggamuffin66
Level 7
No, I told it to perform an express instillation. would you recommend reinstalling?