cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RX480 GPU Tweak II fan setup

Jarulezz
Level 7
Hello everyone,

this is my first post on this forum, so just a very short intro - im Jarulezz, I am 23 years old and I have been into building computers and gaming since I was about 12. Have built 3 systems in that time with constant upgrades to my current one. Also, I have bought an ROG Strix RX480 8GB in April, which I am very happy with because my old EAH4850 started giving me artifacts after 8 years 😞
Now that we got that out the way, lets get down to it!

With the RX480 driver CD came ASUS GPUTweak II (I updated to the latest now, drivers too) and I was surprised at the amount of customisation I was able to do. My main dilemma is as follows.

I dont like my card idling hot (I run multiple screens; usually 2 monitors but sometimes I also use a TV at the same time, so 3 max) because im worried that its lifetime will shortened.
Up until now, I have been using the "Gaming mode", but I turned off "0db fan" feature because the card was getting close to 50C with all 3 screens connected. This meant that the fans were at 35% constantly but the idle temps below 30C, which I was happy with until...
After about a month of use, I noticed slight dust build up on the heatsink, which got me concerned because with time, the dust will get worse.
I am not worried about max temps, because the cooling is great with this card, but its just the idle temps that bug me.

At the moment, I have come up with a short-term solution of making the fans kick in when the temps get to 35C, but otherwise they are off.

My dilemma is -
Do I have the fans on all the time to keep the temps lower than 35C, but have more dust build up?
Or
Turn 0db fan back on and let the card decide when to turn the fans?

Extra: does anyone know if it is possible to take the fans off the heatsink to clean the dust without voiding the warranty?

What do your cards idle on? What would you do in my position?
I would like to make sure the card can last at least 5 years.

Thanks for taking the time to read such a long post! Should have done a TL;DR to be honest...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cant really change or measure my room temperature cause I am still in university accommodation but summer is coming, so it is getting warmer and I definitely tell by an increase in my CPU temps (used to idle around 25C, now its 30C)

Some info about my rig that may be useful:
Corsair Carbide 300R chassis (1 intake fan with a dust filter and 1 exhaust fan) - hence, equal pressure
Intel i5 760 2.80Ghz (not overclocked yet, but I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO so will in the future when I need to) - idle temps around 30C

I have good cable management, so inside the case is pretty neat and I clean the dust often
0 REPLIES 0