cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realtek Audio Drivers and SupremeFX

bamajon1974
Level 7
ASUS ROG STRIX Z-390-E motherboard with Soundblaster AE-9 soundcard.

The SoundBlaster AE-9 is used over the Realtek. I would disable the onboard sound in the BIOS/UEFI but I want to keep it active so I can install Linux on a second drive. Creative Labs has poor Linux support at best so I will be forced to use the Realtek onboard sound.

Questions...

What does SupremeFX software do? Do I need it? It is bundled with the ASUS sound drivers, right?

Can I install the Realtek drivers (most updated versions) from the Realtek website rather than the ASUS versions and do without the SupremeFX software?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

SupremeFX = Realtek Audio for ROG products, so SupremeFX software = Realtek HD Audio Manager (HDA drivers) = Realtek Audio Control (UAD drivers).

You have an ASUS ROG SS3 motherboard, so :

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3) from the first post of this thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

SupremeFX = Realtek Audio for ROG products, so SupremeFX software = Realtek HD Audio Manager (HDA drivers) = Realtek Audio Control (UAD drivers).

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG/PRIME/TUF MB) from my UAD drivers thread. Follow scrupulously your INSTALL process with cleanup step, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow the UPDATE process.

Note (in order to choose correctly the install/update process to use) : You have a ASUS ROG SS3 motherboard.

Also, If you are looking to perform a custom install (like minimal, which is such as Microsoft built-in drivers without any SupremeFX/Realtek Audio software), please refer to this post : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117596-DRIVERS-Realtek-Audio-(UAD-Intel-2xx-3xx-4xx-amp-AM...

Thank you for the reply:

A few follow-up questions, comments and clarifications:

So SupremeFX is just the Realtek Audio platform rebranded and modified for ROG Motherboards, right?

The next Realtek Drivers UAD release by you can be updated through the normal vendor update process as opposed to the lengthy tutorial, correct? When do you expect to release the new drivers?

I don't use the ROG onboard Realtek Audio but a Creative Labs AE-9 soundcard instead. I keep the onboard sound enabled to eventually use in Linux. It is my understanding that Realtek sound is better supported in Linux than Soundblaster. In this context, do your UAD drivers support Linux? Should I opt for the minimal driver install rather than include SupremeFX if I don't use the Realtek, but just want to keep it active?

Thanks!

bamajon1974 wrote:
So SupremeFX is just the Realtek Audio platform rebranded and modified for ROG Motherboards, right?

Right.

bamajon1974 wrote:
The next Realtek Drivers UAD release by you can be updated through the normal vendor update process as opposed to the lengthy tutorial, correct? When do you expect to release the new drivers?

It is technically possible but the install methods are different, so :

- If you want to switch to the drivers offered on the support page of your motherboard, you need to uninstall the drivers that I offer by simply following your CLEANUP process and then install the drivers offered on the support page for your motherboard.

- If you want to switch to the drivers that I offer, you must uninstall the drivers offered on the support page of your motherboard by simply following your CLEANUP process and then install the drivers that I offer by following your INSTALL process. For the next drivers packages that I would release (when they are available), you will can directly follow the UPDATE process

bamajon1974 wrote:
I don't use the ROG onboard Realtek Audio but a Creative Labs AE-9 soundcard instead. I keep the onboard sound enabled to eventually use in Linux. It is my understanding that Realtek sound is better supported in Linux than Soundblaster. In this context, do your UAD drivers support Linux?

No, only Windows 10 64 bit 1709/RS3/16299.x or more recent.

MoKiChU wrote:
Right.

It is technically possible but the install methods are different, so :

- If you want to switch to the drivers offered on the support page of your motherboard, you need to uninstall the drivers that I offer by simply following your CLEANUP process and then install the drivers offered on the support page for your motherboard.

- If you want to switch to the drivers that I offer, you must uninstall the drivers offered on the support page of your motherboard by simply following your CLEANUP process and then install the drivers that I offer by following your INSTALL process. For the next drivers packages that I would release (when they are available), you will can directly follow the UPDATE process

No, only Windows 10 64 bit 1709/RS3/16299.x or more recent.

Right.

Ahhh so since your drivers just support Windows and the only reason I am keep the Realtek integrated sound enabled is for Linux, then I should opt for the Realtek drivers and obtain and install these drivers from their website, right?

There is no issue with installing the most uptodate Realtek drivers supplied by the manufacturer, right? I have a ROG STRIX Z390E gaming MoBo.

Thanks!

bamajon1974 wrote:
Ahhh so since your drivers just support Windows and the only reason I am keep the Realtek integrated sound enabled is for Linux, then I should opt for the Realtek drivers and obtain and install these drivers from their website, right?

If you keep enabled your audio chispet on the BIOS of your motherboard, it will be active on Windows and Linux, so you need drivers for both :

If you talking about the Realtek audio drivers for Windows : the drivers from the Realtek support page are obsolete. What's the point of installing obsolete drivers for something you're not using ? If you do not want to install the drivers that I offer or the drivers from the support page of your motherboard, simply install nothing at all and leave the Microsoft built-in drivers.

If you talking about the Realtek audio drivers for Linux : Linux is not field, I cannot advise you.

bamajon1974 wrote:
There is no issue with installing the most uptodate Realtek drivers supplied by the manufacturer, right? I have a ROG STRIX Z390E gaming MoBo.

Thanks!

If you talk about use the drivers from the support page of your motherboard on Linux, no they won't work.

If you talk about use the drivers from the support page of your motherboard on Windows, yes, probably, I can't guarantee the operation of something that I have not packaged.

MoKiChU
Level 40
bamajon1974 wrote:

If you keep enabled your audio chipset on the BIOS of your motherboard, it will be active on Windows and Linux, so you need drivers for both :

If you talking about the Realtek audio drivers for Windows : the drivers from the Realtek support page are obsolete. What's the point of installing obsolete drivers for something you're not using ? If you do not want to install the drivers that I offer or the drivers from the support page of your motherboard, simply install nothing at all and leave the Microsoft built-in drivers.

If you talking about the Realtek audio drivers for Linux : Linux is not my field, I cannot advise you.

bamajon1974 wrote:

Thanks!

If you talk about use the drivers from the support page of your motherboard on Linux, no they won't work.

If you talk about use the drivers from the support page of your motherboard on Windows, yes, probably, I can't guarantee the operation of something that I have not packaged.

OK. A couple of more questions....

In context of the onboard sound, is ROG STRIX Z-390E Gaming MoBo the S3 or S3+DTS Sound Unbound?

If I am not mistaken, the onboard sound for the ROG STRIX Z-390E is the Realtek ALC 1220, right?

If I chose to install just the standard Realtek drivers, can I use the ones from this page?

https://codecpack.co/download/realtek-audio-drivers.html

Thanks!

MoKiChU wrote:
If you keep enabled your audio chipset on the BIOS of your motherboard, it will be active on Windows and Linux, so you need drivers for both :

If you talking about the Realtek audio drivers for Linux : Linux is not my field, I cannot advise you.

bamajon1974 wrote:
OK. A couple of more questions....

In context of the onboard sound, is ROG STRIX Z-390E Gaming MoBo the S3 or S3+DTS Sound Unbound?

I already answered you ...

MoKiChU wrote:
You have a ASUS ROG SS3 motherboard.

bamajon1974 wrote:
If I am not mistaken, the onboard sound for the ROG STRIX Z-390E is the Realtek ALC 1220, right?

S1220A more exactly like indicated in your motherboard specs.

bamajon1974 wrote:
If I chose to install just the standard Realtek drivers ...

I already told you the choices available to you for your motherboard ... the conversation is going in circles and I'm going to stop this discussion here.

hi, can you please tell me how to install this supremefx sound .. although I have an asus masimus hero x3 motherboard it is built in but it only shows me the one from Reatek