cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Windows 8.1 behavior

kourgath
Level 7
For some reason my windows install will start lagging real bad after about 48-72 hrs. these are the symptoms. clicking on a web browser or other program takes 2-3 minutes to open. attempting to access task manager, control panel, pretty much anything just stalls. computer will not shut down when this happens as explorer stops responding. admin logs generate no events when this happens. when a program does open it doesn't actually do anything ie browser cant access anything, explorer can't access drive contents.
Have run most every virus scanner malware scanner spyware scanner available and system is clean.

system is as follows
asus maximus v formula
intel 3770 clocked to 4.3 ghz on all 4 cores
Samsung 240 gb ssd with win 8.1 installed on it
Seagate 1.5 tb sata 6 hdd
Seagate 3 gb sata 6 hdd
Seagate 1 gb sata 3 hdd
wd 1 gb sata 3 hdd
xfx r9 290 DD black edition vid card at stock clock
Samsung br reader
pc power 1200 watt power supply
haf x case
cpu, gpu both water cooled with xspc rx 240 and rx 360 rads
using comodo internet security for firewall and antivirus
6 REPLIES 6

sk2play
Level 13
First assumption is a bad SSD (primary) -test the heat-
Second assumption is a bad HDD (secondary) -test the heat and ticking-
Third assumption is a software program causing a memory leak, especially software that is set to monitor activity all day like back-up, stock-trades etc . . .
Forth assumption is bad Ram, CPU and/or MB

Oh, there might be one other thing. Check for media in your optical\thumb drive(s) as some programs (esp games) cause a system to hang just as you describe. I know it happened to me up to W7. I rarely have media in my optical/thumb drives nowadays, so I don't know about W8.x

Sorry, all I got are assumptions atm
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit

kourgath
Level 7
ssd temps have never gone above 40c. the Western digital on the other hand has been reaching 100-115(think it's Celsius but not sure) ram and cpu have been repeatedly tested with prime95 and memtest neither showing errors in a 24 hr test.

i'll pull the western digital drive and see if that does any good. will post back in 4 days with the results

kourgath
Level 7
well i'm on day 5 and still hasn't presented any of the behavior I was seeing before. it looks like it was that WD drive causing issues but not really throwing any errors. thanks much for the help

kourgath
Level 7
well made it 8 days then the system hung again. corrupted vid drivers when it rebooted and wouldn't let me do a refresh or reset so just started from scratch. we'll see how long it lasts on a fresh install. hopefully it was a software corruption of some sort.

Duke_of_Alinor
Level 7
While it is running right, test it by looking at your drive smart reports, running Prime 95 overnight and Furmark for 10 mins. If you crash or overheat something is wrong. Note that these are extreme tests so you may be OK if they fail but may not.

Duke of Alinor wrote:
While it is running right, test it by looking at your drive smart reports, running Prime 95 overnight and Furmark for 10 mins. If you crash or overheat something is wrong. Note that these are extreme tests so you may be OK if they fail but may not.

well it's been 17 days straight of testing via prime95 and furmark at night without any reboots or reappearance of the unresponsive behavior. I've got everything running that I had before so I can only think it was a corrupted driver or something vid card, motherboard, cpu and memory are all watercooled with 2 separate loops for vid/motherboard and cpu/memory. temps of the water never gets above 31c and components are right in that area as well. no smart errors so far though I haven't put the older 1tb wd driver back in to tempt fate