cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux Ubuntu and/or Slackware install help on G750JH

Randomname
Level 8
Hi there,

Just like the title says, I want to install Ubuntu and/or Slackware on my G750JH and I want it to be on Dual/Triple(?) boot with my Windows 8
I've already setup the partitions for both of them (2x50Gb), a friend of mine tried to install Ubuntu on his laptop (Compaq) and he was successful until the part when he turns his computer on there is no dual boot option, the laptop only boots Win 8, so I don't want to run into some trouble like he did, so I thought about asking the experts 😄

It would be great if I could install Ubuntu and Slackware, since I'm a noob when it comes to computers, could you explain it so that I can understand 😄
Thanks 😄
ASUS G750JH-T4086D
CPU: Intel Quad Core I7-4700HQ@ 2.4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M
RAM: 16GB
Memory: 1TB + 250GB SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 250GB)
Display: Anti-Glare (yup, I'm bragging about it :P)
14 REPLIES 14

Perlange
Level 7
Hi! I have finally succeded to tripleboot my G750 JH with Linux Mint (which is based entirely on Ubuntu) and Linux Manjaro.
Weeks of painful trial are over!
I did like this:
1. Created partitions one for Mint one for Manjaro on the SSD disk after shrink of Windows partition and deletion of the 20 GB Windows recovery
partition at the end of the SSD which was instead copied to an recovery USB with ASUS BAcktrack.
2. Started computer with F2 kept pressed until BIOSmeny appeared and put secure boot to disable and disabled fastboot in Windows
3. Installed Manjaro on one of the partitions from a DVD. To start from the DVD I kept Esc pressed until boot menu appeared and
chose UEFIDVD as boot option. I did NOT install any bootloader for Manjaro at all
4. Then I started from a liveDVD with Mint. Started from the option UEFIDVD NOT the normal DVD option.
5. Installed Mint in its partition and the bootloader, GRUB, in the EFI partition of the Windows installation. On my computer it was DEV/sdb1
6. Restart. Now GRUB appears first and has Mint, Windows and Manjaro listed as boot choices. All work!

Good luck!

+rep, @Perlange. Thanks for sharing all the details. I might have to try Manjaro at some point - not familiar with it.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Since the GRUB that Mint installed found the Manjaro the same method should work for any other distro or distros
installed in the same way.

stress4ever
Level 7
I"ve been tring to install fedora, with all the bios options disable i'm unable to create a partition suitable for linux. message during installation if I try automatic partitioning failed "failed to find suitable stage1 device".

Geraldo29
Level 7
Thank for information.