cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux (Preferably Ubuntu) and G750JX

Demonicpagan
Level 7
Has anyone been able to successfully install Ubuntu (or any Linux, Debian based) OS on their G750JX machine? I have been having a horrible time trying to install it on the partition I created on my TB drive. Problems I have been dealing with are all detailed in this Ubuntu thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2176364. I would love some pointers/tips/suggestions that just might help me get it installed.
72 REPLIES 72

Demonicpagan
Level 7
No one?

I saw that someone else on here had a more advanced version of Linux running, but not Ubuntu.

I'm all ears if you can get it working. Sadly I'm no where near experienced enough to play around with it without screwing something up.

Steam OS should be out "soon", maybe that will boot up properly on the JX?
ASUS G750JX-TB71

• CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
  • Screen: 17.3' Full HD Matte Screen @ 100Hz
  • Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz. RAM 2x8
  • Storage: 500GB SSD 850 EVO + 750GB HDD @ 7200rpm
  • TC: IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

villiansv
Level 11
I am in the process of installing Arch (most likely with Cinnamon) and will let you know what works/doesn't.

I'll be installing Slackware64-current on my 2nd hard drive either tonight or tomorrow. I'm trying to go 100% EFI/GPT so we'll see what happens!

villiansv
Level 11
Quick feedback - everything works (some tinkering required to get touchpad right-click working, and I can't change backlight yet). Will add more info when I have time.

Edit: Everything does work just fine. I installed it on a MBR HDD (didn't want to deal with UEFI on my primary SSD, which doesn't have that much space anyways). Used the syslinux bootloader, installed it in the MBR of the HDD. BIOS was set to secureboot off, fastboot off, launch csm on - then I just hit ESC at startup and selected either my SSD for windows or HDD for Arch.

Out of the box, the glaring issues were:

1. 3d acceleration didn't work with nouveau (at least Cinnamon complained). I didn't bother with this (it may work with tinkering), as I installed the binary nvidia driver, which works fine. Note that KMS did work and booted fine to Cinnamon's fallback 2d mode, no crashes whatsoever.
2. Touchpad right-click button didn't work (though two-finger-tap worked as right-click). http://superuser.com/questions/619582/right-elantech-touchpad-button-not-working-in-linux has the solution, it worked just fine in Arch, no reason why it wouldn't work in any other Linux. I did have to install the xf86-input-synaptics package though.
3. The brightness buttons don't work. To fix this, I appended

acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor

to my syslinux.cfg boot line, you can add the same to the relevant grub/grub2 files if using that. Then, make sure you

modprobe asus-nb-wmi

and make sure you auto-load it if needed. Once done, you can use

xbacklight -inc 10

to increase brightness by 10% (use -dec to decrease). I used the cinnamon custom hotkeys (any DE should have an equivalent) to set up ctrl+alt+up/down to up/down brightness by 10%.

I hope this helps. Note that Arch, being a rolling distribution, has the newest packages, so Ubuntu may be running older kernels/xserver versions that cause your issues.

thank you for the informations. i just ordered g750jw and linux hardcore fan too. i just want to ask you some more question
1. which about the graphics driver you used in linux . Download from Nvidia official website ?
2. What about how video card switch in linux, can or can not or use bumblebee optirun or can disable intregated graphic on bios or not ?
3. Nvidia-settings can detect external monitor connected via dsub, hdmi, thunderbolt out of the box ?

Thank you for advanced 🙂

MaYaSeVeN wrote:
thank you for the informations. i just ordered g750jw and linux hardcore fan too. i just want to ask you some more question
1. which about the graphics driver you used in linux . Download from Nvidia official website ?
2. What about how video card switch in linux, can or can not or use bumblebee optirun or can disable intregated graphic on bios or not ?
3. Nvidia-settings can detect external monitor connected via dsub, hdmi, thunderbolt out of the box ?

Thank you for advanced 🙂

1. Being on Arch, I used "pacman -S nvidia" which is just the Arch package of the nvidia driver. If I had been using a different distro, I'd probably use their package manager. I wouldn't use the nvidia installer in general, as it will probably not work when the kernel updates (but in theory the end result would be the same, as it's the same driver, just repackaged for the relevant distro).

2. G750 laptops have the built-in intel card permanently disabled. The nvidia is always in use, so there's no switching to worry about. This can't be changed.

3. Will have to check, as I never usually use a 2nd monitor. I have a HDMI TV - will reply here when I get around to it. It should be plug and play though.

villiansv wrote:
Quick feedback - everything works (some tinkering required to get touchpad right-click working, and I can't change backlight yet). Will add more info when I have time.

Edit: Everything does work just fine. I installed it on a MBR HDD (didn't want to deal with UEFI on my primary SSD, which doesn't have that much space anyways). Used the syslinux bootloader, installed it in the MBR of the HDD. BIOS was set to secureboot off, fastboot off, launch csm on - then I just hit ESC at startup and selected either my SSD for windows or HDD for Arch.

Out of the box, the glaring issues were:

1. 3d acceleration didn't work with nouveau (at least Cinnamon complained). I didn't bother with this (it may work with tinkering), as I installed the binary nvidia driver, which works fine. Note that KMS did work and booted fine to Cinnamon's fallback 2d mode, no crashes whatsoever.
2. Touchpad right-click button didn't work (though two-finger-tap worked as right-click). http://superuser.com/questions/619582/right-elantech-touchpad-button-not-working-in-linux has the solution, it worked just fine in Arch, no reason why it wouldn't work in any other Linux. I did have to install the xf86-input-synaptics package though.

THANK YOU!! Right button is now working!

villiansv
Level 11
3. It's indeed plug and play. Plugging the HDMI TV results in an automatic extended desktop (TV showing up as "on the right" of the laptop display). The nvidia settings program that comes by default with the driver allows you to change this easily (including a clone mode).