cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LINUX Posters Suggestions

Zygomorphic
Level 17
All LINUX users out there:

Greetings! We now have a subforum to play in (thanks Marshall):). In the interests of not separating the software from the hardware, it is my suggestion that you post your thread in the appropriate software section of the forum (here), and then PM me (or @Nodens) to get a redirect placed to the appropriate hardware section of the forum. That way, anyone who is familiar with the hardware (and frequents those forums) can chime in as well, since the LINUX threads will have redirects.

If you have a better way, then I'd love to hear it!

--Zygo
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23
23 REPLIES 23

Hey all, im considering setting up my PC to do a dual boot. Well because i can. lol
My last system i had dual boot on was an imac17" ( first to have the intel chipset ) with win XP.
It was a beautiful thing to be able to do. I didnt realize how far Ubunto has come in the last 4 or 5 years. I built my current PC 2 years ago and would like to get back into Linux. Just read about dual booting Win and Ubunto and i cant resist trying it. If anyone has any tips before i take the plunge i would appreciate any input. I have repair disk, backed up my boot drive and i have about 20 GB of space available. I chose 14.04.3 because it is stable. I dont want to try the newer one until i know i can make this one work. Anyway thanks in advance.

Thanks for looking out for the Linux users. I understand that ROG is all about gaming (and thus, Windows) but a couple things:

1. Just because someone games, doesn't mean they don't want to use that same rig for other things that Linux might be better at
2. Some people are chasing specs/price combos and ROG models are often strong competitors in the bang for buck game (meaning non-gamers, including Linux users, end up with these machines)

I'm kinda in the second camp myself. The GL553V I'm working on isn't even mine. It's my CFO's new work machine (seriously) and our whole company is on Linux. I was surprised when she picked this machine, but I told her that, based on the specs, she made the right decision. I was willing to take on the challenge of getting Ubuntu going on it rather than going for a "safer" (tested, proven, documented using Ubuntu), less sexy machine. Hopefully I haven bit off more than I can chew.

Thanks again for accommodating friends of the penguin.
Linux bruh.

truelai wrote:
Thanks for looking out for the Linux users. I understand that ROG is all about gaming (and thus, Windows) but a couple things:

1. Just because someone games, doesn't mean they don't want to use that same rig for other things that Linux might be better at
2. Some people are chasing specs/price combos and ROG models are often strong competitors in the bang for buck game (meaning non-gamers, including Linux users, end up with these machines)

I'm kinda in the second camp myself. The GL553V I'm working on isn't even mine. It's my CFO's new work machine (seriously) and our whole company is on Linux. I was surprised when she picked this machine, but I told her that, based on the specs, she made the right decision. I was willing to take on the challenge of getting Ubuntu going on it rather than going for a "safer" (tested, proven, documented using Ubuntu), less sexy machine. Hopefully I haven bit off more than I can chew.

Thanks again for accommodating friends of the penguin.

Hi, I have the same machine and I would like asking you if she could configure the laptop properly?
In my case I could not get FN keys work.

I am unable to boot a USB to dual boot with a Linux distro. Can someone assist me? I have BIOS Version 306.

joplass wrote:
I am unable to boot a USB to dual boot with a Linux distro. Can someone assist me? I have BIOS Version 306.

Which distro? i have tried many distro but only ubuntu works

Acidphase
Level 7
It's nice to see a community not born from open source acknowledge Linux users. Even more so in a enthusiast environment. I was browsing the forums coincidentally right before I was about to reboot and start a fresh install of gentoo on this new box I just built. lol
I hope this trend will reflect in Asus support as I think Linux has a bright future looking at companies like Valve. If Asus starts getting more involved with the open source community this will definitely keep me as a customer.
Creative Labs lost one because they dropped all Linux support with their newest DSP(ca0132) and I was in the market looking for a new sound card for this new rig. I was already looking at some ROG sound cards this is helping but I still need to check what cmedia chips are supported by recent kernels.

Anyway I'm eager to see how things go with this Rampage V Extreme and a i7 5960x (anyone else running similar setup?). Especially compared to my other box with gentoo installed which has a Crosshair Formula V with a FX-8150. (Compile times should be substantially faster).

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
A question for the Linux power users herein:

The system in question is the one shown in "Dr. Zchivago PC Specs" above my avatar:

Has anyone encountered an issue where Ubuntu install (from Live USB) will run normally, but once installation is complete, the display goes crazy and looks completely distorted? I don't know of a better way to describe it, but everything past boot looks like a Picasso with even less definition. I cannot see any windows, read any text, etc.

I have been told that it is a problem in Crossfire/SLI setups, but everything looked fine when booted to Live USB. I have also tried disconnecting X-Fire bridges, turning cards off, etc., but the problem remains whenever more than one graphics card is installed. With my water setup, it is quite impossible to physically remove any one graphics card without completely tearing down the entire system.

Any thoughts?

Z

Probably a kernel driver or simple config/missing app issue.

I have read the whole kernel configurations options a few times since i build my own kernels for my g53sx gentoo build, so feel free to ask or send kernel .configs and hardware info like lshw lspci dmidecode... if you want me to check wheter your kernel is missing something.

Other than that you could be missing x-11 drivers, apps, or some use flags not enabled in your programs(tends to happen with prebuilt binaries from non source distro)

EDIT: done some quick research and it looks like you also need to install amd catalyst to setup crossfire/sli and possibly tweak .xorg config too in order to get it to work.

SIDE NOTE: Most linux threads seems to mention sli and crossfire as dodgy to enable and configure , mainly because of the lack of documentation on the subject and the fact that most of it is not up to date (because most people dont have a need for it or dont use it)

Jimmybarr
Level 7
G'day.. I've used a lot of Linux distro's over the years, am currently on Linux Mint and Ubuntu...but my favourite is Mint.

Unfortunately, I cannot get my Mint to work with my current Z97 setup, the Linux graphics drivers for Nvidia cards are woefully bad.

If anyone has been able to get Linux Mint running on a Z97 system with success, please let me know.

Thanks,

J.

russiandivxclub
Level 7
Thumbs up for Linux ! I'd love to see something like Ai Suite for linux. Myself not the favorite thing but very useful for a lot of people. And then I must agree for people with linux I think they better mess with BIOS , set everything in there and be safe not thinking some app messing with Core Voltage in real time 😄 ...and then again ....sounds exciting !