cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LINUX Install

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Hello again, everyone. It seems that we haven't discussed LINUX here in a while. I thought it is about time to change that, since summer is here, and I am nearly done rebuilding my laptop. Considering what I said above, I figured I would go ahead and share my experiences with the system.

I had mentioned previously that I was planning on putting Windows in a VM, and going Penguin all the way. :)Well, my friends, that has happened, and I am running LINUX Mint 14 on my Seagate Hybrid drive (15 sec boot time :)). I have Windows 7 in a VM now, and it seems happy there, and is easier to manage than Windows on a drive with LINUX. I have to say, getting rid of Windows made things easier, since only Windows doesn't respect other people's bootloaders, and is arrogant enough to think that it is the only OS you want. :mad:

I did some research on the best partitioning scheme for LINUX, and which filesystems to use for which partitions, and so this is the partitioning scheme that I chose, given that I am planning on having multiple VMs on this machine, so the maximum storage is ideal.
/dev/sdb2 /boot 255 MB ext2
/dev/sdb3 Extended partition
/dev/sdb6 / 50 GB ext4
/dev/sdb7 /home 418 GB ext4
/dev/sdb5 swap 32 GB swap

I have 16 GB of RAM, and so went with the rule-of-thumb 1.5-2x RAM for swap space. I don't tend to hibernate my system, but if I ever do, I want the option of doing so. I could probably have gone with 16 GB, and if I were more pressed for space, I would have.

I've heard that some suggest splitting /boot and the / partitions, so I decided that it can't hurt, and it can keep some of my other stuff separate. If you guys don't think that this is necessary, I'd like to know that for the future.

I'm a firm believer in separating the /home partition from everything else, especially since I sometimes change LINUX distros, and this allows me to preserve all my files. 🙂 For someone who just wants to try LINUX out, I go with the simple partitioning scheme of (/ and swap), but since I use LINUX for my daily tasks, I wanted a better system.

TODO:
* Install nVidia drivers to obtain better graphics performance and power management.
* Download LINUX kernel sources and learn more about building LINUX kernels.
* Try out other distros and configs in VM - more learning.
* Upgrade to LINUX Mint 15 when it comes out.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions? I'm happy to have feedback, and would like people's thoughts. I'm particularly interested in starting a flame war about distros, as well as filesystems. :cool:
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23
141 REPLIES 141

chrsplmr
Level 18
I have to admit this thread lost me when I read a Mod asking for Flames !!! ???
Then come to find out if you don't speak Linux you don't know Geek ??? That doesn't even rhyme.

I am always 'game' for a teachable moment .. but .. still lost.
I hope Nodens is at home here .. @ least he speaks in english .. not that I am opposed to Greek or
any other language .. not since GoogleTranslator.
I spent a few hours today reading background and founding of Minux/Linux ect .. and am more
confused than when I started.
Nothing points to 'The Best' .. lots of downloading, a trademark war .. some enthusiastic hobbyists.

I don't see this being 'mainstream' anytime soon though. Afterall isn't Apple's success based on
'you turn it on and it works' ?

My favorite 'disto' so far is Win7 Pro .. effortless, since virtually the lion's share of hardware and
software is built around windows.

No disrespect to the Linux Masters .. amazing .. and I do see serious usefulness in it (ie Nodens ServerBoxes, DC, Zy, Gorman and the rest.)
but mostly I see Geekery run amuck in 'Greek'.

Lastly .. I am a registered member of Geek.com .. does that count ??

Nodens
Level 16
Lol Arne! These were my personal Rosetta Stone back in the day:
http://www.amazon.com/Assembly-Language-Step---Step-Duntemann/dp/0471578142/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=U...
http://www.amazon.com/Winn-Rosch-Hardware-Bible-Compatibles/dp/0131609793/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8...

@chrsplmr:

Nothing points to best because you were reading history of Minix and Linux, not an architectural analysis:) But even with history you should have read about Unix in general. Unix operating system architecture (Linux is a Unix variant) is superior.

So let's go deep into Geek territory now:P
Understanding operating system designs: http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~jacobsen/os/2007s/os-architecture.pdf

So the it boils down to Monolithic vs Microkernel design.:)
It is not by accident that wherever performance is critical a Unix variant is used!

Analysis of Linux Kernel Architecture: http://ssrnet.snu.ac.kr/course/aos2013-1/lecture_note/lect2-LinuxUnix%20Kernel%20Overview.pptx
Unfortunately I can not find a similar analysis for the Windows Kernel that's free (Several books and ebooks on the subject but nothing free..which brings me back to the point of being "open").

Now Unix variants were always extreme Geek (or business/IT) territory, If you want a mainstream Linux version go with Ubuntu because that distro aims at exactly that. Being mainstream (too much imo):)

Apple's OSX btw, since you mentioned it, is actually proprietary Linux. Apple just made a proprietary mainstream version of Linux (which is exactly the opposite of what Linux stands for: open/free software/ultimate power to the user/etc).

Lastly I want to say that I work with both operating systems, I develop for both (in the past I've worked with even more such as OS/2 and VAX/VMS) and I know their insides inside-out (pun intended:p). There are pros and cons with both but if I had to choose to only work with one, both as a developer and a power user, I would always choose to work with Unix variants. Ultimately the only reason I keep Windows on my main development system is one..games. If it were not for games, I could do everything else better on a Linux distro..even developing software for Windows..and I would test my software using VMs only (I already use VMs to test software on Win7 for example..and I still use a 32bit Win XP VM to do most of my Windows reverse engineering when I need to (due to issues with Ollydbg and 64bit Windows) unless it's something big that needs IDA instead heh) .
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
Lol Arne! These were my personal Rosetta Stone back in the day:

Excellent! just what I meant...thanks as always Nodens 🙂

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Hey DC!!! what happens exactly when you try to install OpenSUSE and which version did you try? cos i had 12.2 running on my CHVF for a brief time.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Now that's what I'm talking about .. teachable moments .. thank you. [i have some reading to do.].c.

Nodens
Level 16
Unfortunately these books are a bit outdated nowadays:p (I think the Hardware Bible book has a current edition though;)).
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm I see a definite physical profile of rugged handsomeness to the Geek....;)

Nodens
Level 16
Gentoo is nice because it compiles everything on your system. Installing packages takes a while just for that reason (everything has to have a downside right? :p) but everything is optimized specifically for your system!

RealBench Developer.

Gorman
Level 12
actually installing gentoo? lol.

Nodens
Level 16
Yes the main benefit is on "/" since it holds files that are accessed continuously. /home holds small configuration files and whatever you save there so the performance boost would be negligible.:)

RealBench Developer.