cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing WIndows 7 on a UEFI Based Computer.

Budnarrow
Level 7
Hello again friends,
-I am used to installing windows on the M5A99X EVO but it looks to be a whole different thing when it comes to the M5A99FX PRO R2.0.
-I am trying to install windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM with a M5A99FX PRO R2.0 motherboard onto a Samsung EVO 1tb SSD.
-I tried to install windows 7 professional 64-Bit OEM with the legacy settings and non-UEFI in the bios because I couldn't get the installation drive seen and ask to boot from the DVD. i was able to install windows but as soon as i tried to install SP1 the computer Blue Screened with code: 0X000000F4. and i wasn't logged on for very long.
i have seen the TechNet post on this;
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh290675(v=ws.10).aspx but it doesn't say what settings in the Bios that need to be set. i am a little confused on how they are doing things from TechNet because it ventures off into other things and it isn't really clear on how to install windows.
-My question is what are the complete steps to install windows on this UEFI Based Computer? CSM?, Legacy? UEFI?,

thank you in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

Clintlgm
Level 14
Here are tutorials on how to install windows 7 SP 1 in UEFI mode
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thank you for responding Clintgm.
-I was actually looking at that before I saw that you responded.
-It says to disable secure boot but in the bios there is no enable or disable option. I put it into UEFI mode and put CSM into auto and tried to boot both from the UEFI optical drive option and the non-UEFI optical drive option. and both time it would load the windows files for installation and as soon as it got to the starting windows splash screen the computer would completely shut off and then restart.
-some people say to disable CSM and some say to enable it.

Budnarrow
Level 7
if I could get to the windows installation windows and start command prompt I could format the drive and then go into the partition windows and delete them where I am told from these forums windows with format into a GPT format and that is where windows can be installed on a UEFI based computer.

Well In the tutorial first off you have to have a Windows 7 SP 1 64bit iso! also you have to Edit the boot section of the ISO to boot 64 bit if you have that completed. Turn off CSM as you don't want to boot legacy turn on UEFI and hard drive set to AHCI. As Kunrau stated hit the shift F10 brings up the command prompt where you use diskpart to first clean and the convert to GPT, no need to format the windows install will handle that.
The windows 7 forum is pretty clear on how this install is handled in there tutiorals. I Have installed windows 7 UEFI several times with out issues.
http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/321097-how-install-windows-7-uefi-mode-usb.html Step 4 explains how to edit your ISO so that it can boot 64 bit remember only win 7 With SP1 can boot UEFI
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

kunrau
Level 7
Hi, I'm new to posting here, but I saw this thread and had to put in my two cents.

First, you can start the command prompt in the Windows Installer by pressing Shift-F10 after you pass the language selection screen.

Unfortunately, it may not do you any good. I have tried several methods for installing Windows 7 in UEFI mode - I spent days at it - and none of the methods that I tried would work. Apparently, it can be done, but I couldn't make it work. Good luck to you, but fair warning.

You're better off to turn the CSM (Compatibility Service Module) in the Boot section of your BIOS on. You can then install Windows 7 without problems.

Kelley

Budnarrow
Level 7