cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GameFirst IV - Flagged as malware by McAfee

Milambar
Level 7
I acquired a brand new ROG GL502VT recently and absolutely love it. It came with a free McAfee Antivirus Subscription, the store requires it for warranty purposes.

Everything was great until McAfee did its first scan. It immediately quarrantined two files, c:\Program Files (x86)\Asus\Game First IV\nfapi.dll and nfapinet.dll. I re-downloaded the GameFirst IV software from Asus, and reinstalled it. Two days later, McAfee again flagged the same two files as malware.

I have been in touch with McAfee Support, and even got through to one of their software engineers, who checked the files for me and confirmed that its not a false positive, it is a true positive, and McAfee are classifying them as malware.

I am wondering what the next appropriate step to resolve this issue will be, and if I actually need GameFirst IV installed in the first place. I can't seem to find a lot of information about it.

Many Thanks
29 REPLIES 29

haihane
Level 13
for what it's worth, sony doesn't have good track record about its DRM softwares.
reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Bahz
Level 12
My recommendation is to just use a different antivirus program, there are so many better ones to choose from that are also "free"

Korth
Level 14
Just use a different antivirus product.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/

Lots of detailed reviews about each one of (almost) all the antivirus products on the market, point by point analysis and testing in fine detail. Or just click on the charts/graphs if you want simple summaries.

Based on their testing (since 2014, anyhow), Avast and AVG are basically the best free products and Trend Micro is consistent the best product overall, while McAfee is consistently mediocre or below average in several categories. (Alas my preferences - F-Secure and Kaspersky - also didn't fare as well, lol.)
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hey so it was not being detected as a virus for a while until my virus database updated this morning. Then it detected and deleted it again. If I knew it was going to be this problematic I wouldn't have purchased the antivirus license, I am regretting it so much. Any solutions?

PMaqueo wrote:
Hey so it was not being detected as a virus for a while until my virus database updated this morning. Then it detected and deleted it again. If I knew it was going to be this problematic I wouldn't have purchased the antivirus license, I am regretting it so much. Any solutions?

What version of the antivirus software do you have? I am told that our teams, both notebook and motherboard side have updated McAFee

Bahz wrote:
What version of the antivirus software do you have? I am told that our teams, both notebook and motherboard side have updated McAFee

Sorry I didn't answer earlier, the good news is that with a new update my laptop got a couple of days ago, the problem is now again solved. I hope it stays like this now. Thanks for the support.

PMaqueo wrote:
Sorry I didn't answer earlier, the good news is that with a new update my laptop got a couple of days ago, the problem is now again solved. I hope it stays like this now. Thanks for the support.

Thanks for providing your update on this, they did provide the updated build to them sometime ago so now I guess they finally got around to updating their list.

JJAskiz
Level 7
Milambar wrote:
I acquired a brand new ROG GL502VT recently and absolutely love it. It came with a free McAfee Antivirus Subscription, the store requires it for warranty purposes.

Everything was great until McAfee did its first scan. It immediately quarrantined two files, c:\Program Files (x86)\Asus\Game First IV\nfapi.dll and nfapinet.dll. I re-downloaded the GameFirst IV software from Asus, and reinstalled it. Two days later, McAfee again flagged the same two files as malware.

I have been in touch with McAfee Support, and even got through to one of their software engineers, who checked the files for me and confirmed that its not a false positive, it is a true positive, and McAfee are classifying them as malware.

I am wondering what the next appropriate step to resolve this issue will be, and if I actually need GameFirst IV installed in the first place. I can't seem to find a lot of information about it.

Many Thanks

Hey,

There should be a "Add program to safe list" option somewhere in the McAfee Internet Security settings so you can add the Game First IV program to the safe list so it doesn't pick it up as a Virus/Malware. I had the same problem with Kaspersky Total Security when downloading, installing or using Trainers/Cheats Programs on my Gaming Laptop. But when I found the "Add programs to safe list" option and added some of the Trainers/Cheats Programs to the Safe List, most of them worked without me disabling Kaspersky Total Security completely. You should do the same with the Game First IV program. I hope this helped.

JJAskiz.

JJAskiz wrote:
Hey,

There should be a "Add program to safe list" option somewhere in the McAfee Internet Security settings so you can add the Game First IV program to the safe list so it doesn't pick it up as a Virus/Malware. I had the same problem with Kaspersky Total Security when downloading, installing or using Trainers/Cheats Programs on my Gaming Laptop. But when I found the "Add programs to safe list" option and added some of the Trainers/Cheats Programs to the Safe List, most of them worked without me disabling Kaspersky Total Security completely. You should do the same with the Game First IV program. I hope this helped.

JJAskiz.

It doesn't work. I had to swap AntiViruses and its fine now, but before I tried to MANY times and it would still block it. Good job, McAfee.:mad:

Firefox8821 wrote:
It doesn't work. I had to swap AntiViruses and its fine now, but before I tried to MANY times and it would still block it. Good job, McAfee.:mad:

Yeah, I use Kaspersky Total Security and when I add the programs to the White List, it's all good.