cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[FIX] How to fix slow AURA animations

Alexandre_ma
Level 7
So I have been fighting the AURA software for a while and i found out why my animations got slower and slower as I increased devices. If only using the motherboard LEDs, the animations were smooth, but as I added the CPU block and a Aura Terminal, the animations began to stutter, alot.

After browsing the forums for a while, i found out many people where having these issues, many when adding the Aura Terminal, others when adding Aura monitors.

What i found out is that what causes this issue is Aura not knowing how many LEDs each addressable strip has and giving it massive default numbers. For my 6 LED cpu block it gave it 120 and for my Aura Terminal it gave it 360 LEDs.

How to fix the problem

• Open Aura Sync
  • Set the light mode to "Smart"
  • Go to Settings -> Port Setting -> LED Numbers
  • Configure each strip, monitor, terminal port or whatever you have to exactly how many LEDs it has connected in that port.

It might take some trial and error because most Aura products don't say how many LEDs they include.

The reason I recommend setting the lights to "Smart" is so that all LEDs are used. Using modes such as "Static" or "Breathing" will not help since they dont treat the LEDs as addressable and as such ignore the number of LEDs, thats one of the reasons why Breathing does not stutter.

For reference, these products have these numbers of LEDs:
Asus Thor: 5 LEDs
EK-FB x399 Asus Waterblock: 6 LEDs
Aura Terminal 30cm strip: 15 LEDs
Aura Terminal 60cm strip: 30 LEDs

By doing this, the animations become much smoother. The giant default LED numbers probably make Aura Sync do crazy calculations for the effects and end up pretty much breaking the software and animations.

Hope this helps somebody! 😮
10 REPLIES 10

The same issue showed up for me, all of a sudden today. Until now, Aura Sync was smooth for all the devices in my system.

I've tried the Aura Sync suggestion above, but as it turns out Aura Sync is no longer a separate product, but rather part of the Armoury Crate:
https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/us/download.php

In Armoury Crate I could not find any settings about the number of LEDs, so that did not help.

I've solved the issue with the following steps:
-In Armoury Crate I've went to Aura Sync
-Unselected all Aura devices
-Started to add them back one by one (so far the Aura Sync was smooth)
-Once I've added back ROG CLAVIS, the Aura Sync became low again
-I've unplugged ROG CLAVIS from the system, then plugged it back again
-Added ROG CLAVIS back to the sync, and luckily everything stayed smooth

I know this solution might not be viable if the sync problem is caused by ram for instance, just wanted to share maybe it helps someone.