cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant get audio through multiple devices

UltraBlaze7
Level 7
Hello!

I recently build my own pc with an ASUS ROG Strix Z270 E gaming motherboard.
Anyway i have been receiving my sound through my gaming headset which has a audio jack for mic and sound along with usb for power. I have been trying to connect a speaker through the optical audio output on my motherboard but for some reason no device even shows up. Im not sure if this is because i need to update the audio driver or if its some settings in my computer. I am very new to all this audio stuff but all i want is to hear something through that speaker because my headphones are simply not loud enough when im watching something from the other side of the room. I was talking to someone at my work and they said it could be something that the optical cord only does SPDIF or i think pcm and that my computer could be doing Dolby digital which doesn't work with the optical cable. If this is the case i have no idea how i would change it from dolby digital to pcm

If anyone has had this problem or might know the solution i beg that you help me cause i have been really patient and spent alot of time trying to figure this out and i have had no luck.
9 REPLIES 9

SherardG
Level 7
Did you install Realtek HD Audio Manager and Sonic Studio 3?

Yes they came already installed with the motherboard.

xeromist
You have to set your digital output as the default device. Windows 10 allows you to choose one device at a time. Right-click the speaker icon in your system tray and select playback devices. From there you can select an output and click the default button.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Ok i see what you mean but im pretty sure that i cant find the optical input as an option like its not recognizing it or something. And would i find this in the audio control panel?

Edit: Should i update to the newest audio driver for my motherboard from the website?

xeromist
Optical *input* or *output*? Playback devices only applies to outputs.

As with most things Windows there are many ways to get to the audio properties, but the simplest is right-clicking the speaker icon as I mentioned. If there is no digital output listed in the playback devices (you may have to scroll) then I would check the Device Manager to see if there are some devices without drivers. This shouldn't happen though as Windows would find a basic driver to get it working even if it's not the latest & greatest.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

ok ill try it when i get home, if i set it to primary i will still be able to switch between that and my headphones?

UltraBlaze7 wrote:
ok ill try it when i get home, if i set it to primary i will still be able to switch between that and my headphones?

Yes, but you will have to switch the primary each time. It's kind of a pain, imo, so I have mine go to an external desktop amp and my headphones and speakers both route through that. You CAN set a second device as a primary communications device so if you are really just using your headphones for VOIP then you can leave everything that way.

xeromist wrote:
Yes, but you will have to switch the primary each time. It's kind of a pain, imo, so I have mine go to an external desktop amp and my headphones and speakers both route through that. You CAN set a second device as a primary communications device so if you are really just using your headphones for VOIP then you can leave everything that way.

Ok cool thanks! ill give it a go

OK so i tried lots of things before i finnaly decided to do a simple audio driver update so after that it worked! Thank you guys for your help!