cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AURA stopped working after latest Windows 10 updates (July 2019)

slamscaper
Level 7
Okay so while AURA has always been buggy, it did at least run on my system until now. The day before yesterday, MS released three updates, one of which was a security update to mitigate a RAD loophole found by Russian hackers, so I'd say it's a very important update. But after installing all three updates, which I'll provide a screenshot of, AURA stopped working immediately. I noticed because my DRAM was blinking orange. I tried launching it but got the error "your administrator has blocked this program."

This was strange seeing as I'm the admin of my system and my network. So I did what anyone with experience would do. I wiped all traces of AURA and installed the latest version. But now it just crashes with a general error saying "AURA.exe closed unexpectedly." Restarting the "lightingcontrol" service does nothing. I troubleshooted for about an hour and a half but NOTHING I do will get it running now, on a system where it ran perfectly before. The only thing I haven't done is uninstalling the updates, because I don't feel that is a solution I can live with.

So far, I have yet to hear if others are having this same issue. I really need to find out if this is isolated, because if it is, I will continue to troubleshoot because I'll know it's a bug related to what's on my own system and not a bug in the code of AURA or Windows updates. Perhaps AURA needs updated for the new security update, which I read did affect how windows interacts with services. This needs to be checked. Here are the updates that broke AURA for me.

I tried to create a thread about this but I kept getting the "access denied" error. So all I can do is post it here.

7 REPLIES 7

slamscaper
Level 7
So in the end I had to go all the way back to v1.0.7.55 to get it working. The newest versions just crash every time. This is definitely a bug with the software. I'm just glad I can change my MOBO colors again. It's seriously annoying when AURA can't run because you're stuck with whatever color you last set and that's that.

ASUS really needs to start debugging. This is unacceptable.

slamscaper wrote:
So in the end I had to go all the way back to v1.0.7.55 to get it working. The newest versions just crash every time. This is definitely a bug with the software. I'm just glad I can change my MOBO colors again. It's seriously annoying when AURA can't run because you're stuck with whatever color you last set and that's that.

ASUS really needs to start debugging. This is unacceptable.

EDIT: SOLVED

May I ask where did you find v1.0.7.55 download link? I may need to do that myself, since nothing else helps. Hope you can help with download link for that version.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Found it. For all interested, here is the download link: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Utility/SW_AURA_WEB_W10_64_VER10755_20190412R.zip

Mariola wrote:
EDIT: SOLVED

May I ask where did you find v1.0.7.55 download link? I may need to do that myself, since nothing else helps. Hope you can help with download link for that version.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Found it. For all interested, here is the download link: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Utility/SW_AURA_WEB_W10_64_VER10755_20190412R.zip

Unfortunately, not even v1.0.7.55 worked on my end. "ASUS AURA has stopped working" and there is nothing I can do about it. This is really sad. And yes, I uninstalled previous version, used AURA cleaner tool too. Restarted my machine and exactly the same problem keeps happening when trying to start AURA. The only thing I can do about it at the moment, is to disable lights in BIOS, so at least I don't have to look at this ugly-ass green light that's constantly there.

This is by far the worst piece of software ever released. It shouldn't be even allowed to circulate around.

Mariola wrote:
Unfortunately, not even v1.0.7.55 worked on my end. "ASUS AURA has stopped working" and there is nothing I can do about it. This is really sad. And yes, I uninstalled previous version, used AURA cleaner tool too. Restarted my machine and exactly the same problem keeps happening when trying to start AURA. The only thing I can do about it at the moment, is to disable lights in BIOS, so at least I don't have to look at this ugly-ass green light that's constantly there.

This is by far the worst piece of software ever released. It shouldn't be even allowed to circulate around.

OK, another update. What helped me is the oldest version I could find. v1.04.31 ( https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Utility/AURA_Win10_V10431_20170511.zip )

After the reboot, everything came back to normal. Finally. Since I don't care anymore, I will try gradually updating with newer versions, one by one, and see which one breaks everything again. Will report back.

I've installed the latest version 1.07.66 and works fine with all security update released from MS.

Mariola
Level 7
So, this is what I found...

v1.07.66 breaks everything for me. Same problems all over again (My MB is B350-F, so if it works on your end, you might have different board or combination of applications/services running on your end).

If I try to uninstall v1.07.66 and go back to any other version but the oldest one I could find (v1.04.31), I always get the same problem.

So, what I did to fix my problem on Strix B350-F:

1. uninstalled v1.07.66
2. restarted my PC
3. installed v1.04.31

Worked instantly! After that, I was able to uninstall v1.04.31 and install any other version perfectly fine, except the latest one (v1.07.66). Even v1.07.55 that did not work directly after uninstalling v1.07.66. I had to go back all the way to the very old version v1.04.31, uninstall it and install v1.07.55 perfectly fine. It works without any problems.

The thing is... I just realized, I don't even need ASUS AURA. Why wasting my system resources when I don't even need it. I just wanted to fix that constant solid green light that was stuck on before I finally managed to fix this problem. I fixed it now, all back to normal rainbow effect. I don't need anything else anyway. So, I uninstalled AURA completely from my system now (even though v1.07.55 works perfectly fine), restarted my PC, and it's all back to normal. You can run rainbow without this software ever touching your machine.

Happy camper again, goodbye AURA.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
i try to make these again, but

clean install, 1903, isntall windows uopdates and then store. install aisuite, then aura and then in mi case live dash.

instlall drivers OEM

I will try to duplicate these to 10 machines and see what is up.
Learn, Play Enjoy!