cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AURA Lighting Service using high CPU resources

bhorv67
Level 8
Running the latest version as of this post - I end up having to force quit the Lighting Service process, as it uses between 10-15% of the CPU resources. If I can't find a fix, I'm just going to uninstall and turn all the LED off, it's really not that important.

Anyone have a fix or ideas of what's going on? Thanks
95 REPLIES 95

How is this STILL a thing 2 years later!? Fix your **** ASUS. FFS.

There is a new utility called OpenRGB. Supposedly it can be used instead of Aura and its LightnigService.
Haven't tried it yet. Here is the link if someone wants to try it.
https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB/-/releases

andrescirulo wrote:
There is a new utility called OpenRGB. Supposedly it can be used instead of Aura and its LightnigService.

This set off my antivirus, not sure if it's a false positive, but be careful.

andrescirulo wrote:

That's a great news. Would be great getting rid of unsupported and buggy ASUS Aura one day (ATM ASUS gaming laptop support is very limited)...
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

TL;DR,
Manually delete Aura and the lighting service from your PC, restart. Run a registry cleaner or DIY and remove anything related to aura AND the lighting service. Restart again. If you haven't already, download the newest version of Aura OR the newest version that includes the lighting service folder/update/installer. I installed 1.07.66, it downloads as "Lighting_Control_1.07.66," inside of the main folder where the installer is, is a second folder labeled "LightingService." Inside of here should be an installer called, "AuraServiceSetup." Run THAT INSTALLER FIRST, then restart again. (I know, I know, but for me this is the only solution that worked and I spent weeks trying to figure it out) Then install Aura, and finally, restart again. Hopefully this solution helps a lot of people, I did contact ASUS support and described in detail my findings. They replied and thanked me but whether or not that information made it anywhere is beyond me.

Bud, this solved my AURA issues, not the app. opens without crashing!!!! I can control back my motherboard's RGB.
The only issue I've found is that seems LiveDash and Aura now uses different version of Lighting Service, so If I use Aura, LiveDash app cannot control the OLED display in my Max X Formula.
And if I install the Lighting Service which let's me control the OLED display, Aura Crashes...
ASUS has great hardware, but regarding software and support they really suck at it so bad:mad:
ASUS Products: Maximus X Formula - RT-AC87U/AC88U

Same problem as most of you. I've used Razer products for years and have never noticed a problem with their software. Day after i install Asus Aura my CPU is throttling and sits at 50 Degrees Celsius (Normally Idles around 30). I found this thread and found out its a problem that has persisted for years. I saw a couple roundabout solutions that were probably a pain to figure out, and the fact that it has come to that is absurd. First time buying Asus GPU.. kind of sad to see all this BS. I'm not one to reset my computer after all of the things I've added over the years. Quite frankly shouldn't have to for a RGB program. I'm sorry im not really adding anything to help, i just waited 24HRs after creating the account to, i suppose, put my "voice" out there for once. Letting Asus know that one more person is having this issue.

Oddie65 wrote:
I know this is reviving an old thread but I too had some major issues wiith Aura a little over a month ago, neither Asus nor I could figure out the issue and the board was about to be RMA'd (I even had an official RMA number). My I/O RGB LED's never turned on again after a power outage. (I have since finally bought the UPS I knew I needed long before that happened) Finally one night while deciding which manufacturer to go with next (I was less than happy with Asus support and have had multiple ROG products that failed in an incredibly short time, or were DOA) I decided to check the updates page for the millionth time to make sure there wasn't something I had missed for my board. I noticed the most recent, at the time, AURA download was actually labeled "LightingService" something and that got me thinking.

By this point I of course had done EVERYTHING possible to avoid sending off the board because not have access to my PC is not a viable option for me, and ASUS would not let me send in the bad board and get some kind of credit towards the exact same model, just the updated model because my board was not in production anymore. I wipe every trace of aura, AI suite, GPU tweak, everything. Cleaned the registry of old and invalid keys, reverted my windows back from 1903... everything. If you browse the forums theres even links to a tool called "Aura Cleaner," though I can't confirm it works. For me it opened and closed command prompt quickly. I even went as far as to take the board out, which was not at all fun, and remove the actual I/O cover and inspected the LED's and board that they're soldered to.

THEN, I figured I'd give it one more shot. Everything wiped, newest version downloaded, I even was sent the original firmware and tool to flash the AURA controller back to its original setting and version. Still nothing. Everything about was working again except the I/O shield was still dark, zero lights. So while I was once again re-wiping any traces of AURA, I noticed in the update folder is another folder called Lighting Service. Inside of this folder was an installer specifically for the Lighting Service, or so it appeared at least. I ran it FIRST, then installed the newest version of Aura. During the install for lighting service, my I/O LED's suddenly lit up. HOORAY!!!!

TL;DR,
Manually delete Aura and the lighting service from your PC, restart. Run a registry cleaner or DIY and remove anything related to aura AND the lighting service. Restart again. If you haven't already, download the newest version of Aura OR the newest version that includes the lighting service folder/update/installer. I installed 1.07.66, it downloads as "Lighting_Control_1.07.66," inside of the main folder where the installer is, is a second folder labeled "LightingService." Inside of here should be an installer called, "AuraServiceSetup." Run THAT INSTALLER FIRST, then restart again. (I know, I know, but for me this is the only solution that worked and I spent weeks trying to figure it out) Then install Aura, and finally, restart again. Hopefully this solution helps a lot of people, I did contact ASUS support and described in detail my findings. They replied and thanked me but whether or not that information made it anywhere is beyond me.

Just wanted to say, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.
About 6 months, 3 bios-es, 3 Aura versions, and a whole lot of different workarounds tried (including setting up a virtual machine), none of them worked, but yours did.
Finally, I CAN TURN OFF THE OUT OF SYNC LIGHTS.
Damn. Thank you SO much.
I will never buy anything with RGB ever again.

ive had this problem for years, across many versions of software and hardware from Asus.

my old FX8350 on a Asus 990FX Sabretooth would constantly max at 25% for lighting service, Just for the one Strix video card light. thats 2 cores running at 4400ghz each.

on my current system, Ryzen 2700X, Asus crosshair VIII X570($450), the process runs at a constant 2% CPU use(700hz). when bugged out at 15%(many core)(?5,250mhz?) (a half life 1 counter strike 32 player server ran on 700hz)

yes this lags spikes every other game and application

ive unplugged my RGB fans at this point, with only the ram sticks, mobo chipset lights and GPU left on, and ASUS fusion 700 bluetooth headset lights, (the ones i cant see, as they just distract me from the game)
PS: (( My ASUS fusion 700 BT headset Mic Distorts with static in Apex legends with no remedy, getting yelled at to Buy a not crap mic, when I Paid $200 is frustrating)

basically everytime I reboot, I go to task manager and hard end the APP

ya when Shut down, Without this App running, the lights work. but lucky i turned that off the Last time the menu was Accessible

the new Armoury Crate (#1or3??) that was a forced download. During Still Beta Verions, which now controls the LEDs, will go weeks & months not working. they sent out an automatic update to Armoury II, disabling it(headsets app), with a message saying download the new stuff or nothing. Armor Crate beta's LED device kit auto update will download and not install(HTML files?). in a state of constant you must update to access the hardware's menus(worked b4). the menu buttens disappear! i clicked the download and update button 20 times over months, watched the progress bar move across, it would require reboots and then completely forget what it was doing. my LED headset was stuck with bad sound effects filters for the longest time.

a classic advanced menu vs this Nooby Apple GUI would fix so much
as an old school guy i dug in looked for all the configs and bat files, looking for any editable thing to no luck, its hidden, locked down. undocumented, in the awful windows store style installation. ive uninstalled and reinstalled all of it and windows many times.
the bios them Selves order the armoury Crate download on a hardware root level, turn it off on the last Bios menu if you want, before a Fresh windows install.

as of right now the menu says error failed to install your ASUS 570x crosshair 8s LED update.
so my Sync hardware menu for my #7 Asus controllable devices is a blank list.

at random over the many updates it will populate and work

this app takes Several Minutes to bootup. even installed on a Samsung m.2 NVME SSD(3.5Gig speeds).
(so no on the fly changes if your having a microphone problems in game)

funny its returning an error message of this Item, now

"Armoury Crate UWP App 2.7.13.0
ROG Live Service Not installed
AURA Service (Lighting Service) Not installed
Armoury Crate service Not installed"

all of this is installed and running
some 40 ASUS background apps

Asus is not a Software company, they Should open source their software since they cant afford to make it work right. they would gain so much respect from their customers. till then they will only get criticism.

im just posting this information. not even looking for a fix. its just the way things are

PS: i bought a RGB Logitech keyboard and mouse. it uses 0 to 0.1% CPU running in the back round when all 125 keys doing constant flowing rainbows. the software is still sloppy trash, I hate for its menu, but... I forget its even there.

i´ve had the same issues with high cpu usage on LightingService.exe (up to 12% - which is - fair to say- more than what it needs, even on an highend cpu).

i uninstalled armoury crate but the lighting was stuck so i searched for another resolution.

Downloading the Aura Sync standalone Version (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/Lighting_Control_1.07.79_V2.2.zip) fixed the problem for me and its now about 0,1-1% cpu usage.

You´re Welcome 🙂

OCRaptor wrote:
Downloading the Aura Sync standalone Version (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/Lighting_Control_1.07.79_V2.2.zip) fixed the problem for me and its now about 0,1-1% cpu usage.

This version does not work with the rtx 3080 strix video card.