cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AURA Lighting Service using high CPU resources

bhorv67
Level 8
Running the latest version as of this post - I end up having to force quit the Lighting Service process, as it uses between 10-15% of the CPU resources. If I can't find a fix, I'm just going to uninstall and turn all the LED off, it's really not that important.

Anyone have a fix or ideas of what's going on? Thanks
95 REPLIES 95

after some time after the system starts, the power consumption becomes very high if the aura sync is enabled for third-party memory, for example, Kingston hyperx fury
a huge bug that must be fixed

As of today I uninstalled ASUS software and manually removed any leftovers.

I noticed my fans doing a constant higher rpm than usual. Took a look into ProcessExplorer and what do you know: LightningService.exe was doing a constant 48% CPU-load.

The moment I killed the process my fans returned to their usual rpm routine, same for temps.

Until ASUS and all the others keep forcing you to use their bloatware with background processing, possible memory leaks... instead of open sourced standard methods... I'm through with this.

icezolation wrote:
As of today I uninstalled ASUS software and manually removed any leftovers.

I noticed my fans doing a constant higher rpm than usual. Took a look into ProcessExplorer and what do you know: LightningService.exe was doing a constant 48% CPU-load.

The moment I killed the process my fans returned to their usual rpm routine, same for temps.

Until ASUS and all the others keep forcing you to use their bloatware with background processing, possible memory leaks... instead of open sourced standard methods... I'm through with this.

This is amazing and depressing. I came here today because all of a sudden all my games and my entire PC were slowing down about every 30 seconds. I mean it would almost slow down to where I couldn’t even watch a YouTube video and this is basically a high-end build with a 2080 RTX. I go to task manager and what do I see? *Out of the blue the poorly written‚ lightingService.exe is taking from 2%-30% CPU usage!

I basically gave up on trying to fix this broken ASUS software 2 years ago. It seem ASUS still can’t figure out how to hire competent software authors. *Next build I will not be using ASUS hardware.

@WowMags
In case you still want to control some aspects of your RGB, give OpenRGB a try.
It lets me set 'Back I/O', 'RGB Header', 'Center' and the 'Adressable RGB' (my case) of my Prime X299-Deluxe without problems.

I will never go back.

I went from corsair to g skill rgb memory im suffering high cpu usage to if i remove ene rgb from g skill own software and do a full uninstall of armoury crate and reinstall when memory is detected rgb is glitchy as hell with 1,5% cpu usage and a random blue or green color on 1 of my memsticks shows up randomly, if i then by some reason manage to find the uninstaller hidden in the folder and run it and install the aac ene rgb from g skill them self it works just fine no random flicker syncing just fine but cpu usage is constant 3% to 4% and aura creator also picks up my ram, if i then uninstall again the ene rgb from g skill from vision 1.00.18 and install the latest non beta 1.00.22 everything again still works rgb syncs up still 4% cpu usage however aura creator does not show ram while armoury crate does, this vision was to adress sticks not being detected on newer 5000 series systems, however i have amd 3000 series.

This software is a mess and i do not want random flicker on my memory let alone higher cpu usage then 0% its always been 0% if i unsync memory its 0% so i want 0% this is with adressable strip + motherboard
I dont know whats going on but rgb is a mess if it works via the ene rgb hal driver, the memory sticks aren't even invidually adressed its just one big bar compare that when you have corsair where it looks much better, this is annoying it feels like a lot of problems are just ignored and we are left with broken software until some one will spam the forums about this issue.

HooliGUN wrote:
after some time after the system starts, the power consumption becomes very high if the aura sync is enabled for third-party memory, for example, Kingston hyperx fury
a huge bug that must be fixed

I have the same bug - it loads CPU and power ONLY when memory is activated/ My sticks are T-force Xtreem ARGB white, 32GB. It's very frusrating to have ARGB modules and hardware, but being forced to use only single color mode. ASUS, what do you think of yourself, guys?:mad:

Oddie65 wrote:
I know this is reviving an old thread but I too had some major issues wiith Aura a little over a month ago, neither Asus nor I could figure out the issue and the board was about to be RMA'd (I even had an official RMA number). My I/O RGB LED's never turned on again after a power outage. (I have since finally bought the UPS I knew I needed long before that happened) Finally one night while deciding which manufacturer to go with next (I was less than happy with Asus support and have had multiple ROG products that failed in an incredibly short time, or were DOA) I decided to check the updates page for the millionth time to make sure there wasn't something I had missed for my board. I noticed the most recent, at the time, AURA download was actually labeled "LightingService" something and that got me thinking.

By this point I of course had done EVERYTHING possible to avoid sending off the board because not have access to my PC is not a viable option for me, and ASUS would not let me send in the bad board and get some kind of credit towards the exact same model, just the updated model because my board was not in production anymore. I wipe every trace of aura, AI suite, GPU tweak, everything. Cleaned the registry of old and invalid keys, reverted my windows back from 1903... everything. If you browse the forums theres even links to a tool called "Aura Cleaner," though I can't confirm it works. For me it opened and closed command prompt quickly. I even went as far as to take the board out, which was not at all fun, and remove the actual I/O cover and inspected the LED's and board that they're soldered to.

THEN, I figured I'd give it one more shot. Everything wiped, newest version downloaded, I even was sent the original firmware and tool to flash the AURA controller back to its original setting and version. Still nothing. Everything about was working again except the I/O shield was still dark, zero lights. So while I was once again re-wiping any traces of AURA, I noticed in the update folder is another folder called Lighting Service. Inside of this folder was an installer specifically for the Lighting Service, or so it appeared at least. I ran it FIRST, then installed the newest version of Aura. During the install for lighting service, my I/O LED's suddenly lit up. HOORAY!!!!

TL;DR,
Manually delete Aura and the lighting service from your PC, restart. Run a registry cleaner or DIY and remove anything related to aura AND the lighting service. Restart again. If you haven't already, download the newest version of Aura OR the newest version that includes the lighting service folder/update/installer. I installed 1.07.66, it downloads as "Lighting_Control_1.07.66," inside of the main folder where the installer is, is a second folder labeled "LightingService." Inside of here should be an installer called, "AuraServiceSetup." Run THAT INSTALLER FIRST, then restart again. (I know, I know, but for me this is the only solution that worked and I spent weeks trying to figure it out) Then install Aura, and finally, restart again. Hopefully this solution helps a lot of people, I did contact ASUS support and described in detail my findings. They replied and thanked me but whether or not that information made it anywhere is beyond me.

Thanks for the detailed instructions

Thanks for this. Went from 15% CPU to 0% going static.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

These are the different effects that generate this CPU load, if you stay with the Static effect, you should not have this problem (on my PC currently, configured with Static effect full red on AURA, LightingService.exe uses 0% CPU resource, and 15.2 MB of RAM).

Hi there,

Just wanted to thank you for this post. It's regarding the "LayerManager Support (32 bit)" process that was eating up my CPU.

Now, in Asus Armoury Crate, I Switched my profile from "Adaptive Color" which was taking up 18% of my CPU, to "Static" which now only takes 0,1% CPU load 🙂

My new TOP SPECCED machine was always load before, with that 18% CPU but now it's DEAD SILENT again! Thanx! 🙂

bhorv67
Level 8
Also, in previous version, I've been able to select the 'sync at shutdown' tab, and choose 'off'. When I do that now in the latest version and choose off, a different effect is applied.

All I want to do is turn off the LEDs when the system is off. I'm not able to do that now using Aura.