cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI Suite <-> Fan Xpert: Fan speed issue

dmt_taran
Level 8
I have problem with fans rapidly kicking in full speed without any known reason. They just randomly throttle to the max without any reason. It could be when PC is idle, when it's under load - whatever it could be, fans just push to the max, though a moment ago they just worked silently. Temps can be idle (33-43C) or high load (50-55C), doesn't matter, the glitch comes out. Fans can work flawlessly for a week, or they can glitch dozens of times per one day.
I don't know what causes it, or how long this bug lives - fans can kick in for 1-3 seconds and drop down the speed to set numbers again, or they can work at full speed forever until I manuaally stop or change any option via fan xpert.

Problem occurs only when Fan Xpert is used (unproven, but I have strong feeling about that, because no issues when UEFI Qfan utility is used).

As for fans - ATM, I use 6 nb eloops, connected to 2nd and 3rd cha_fan via 4pin splitter, 1 by 3. Before, I used 6 vardars, each connected separately, 4 of them I've connected with 1->2 splitter after a while. All this time I had such a problem. I had this problem before Spectre/Meltdown, with AI Suite temporary fault, and afterwards.
MB is X hero.

Using Qfan only is not a variant, because ASUS is a joke here because of 75C limit and aabsence of GPU bind. I have silent custom loop with CPU thrown at 5 GHz at high voltage, so I can't decrease time-to-time spikes up to 79C. That is said, Qfan is no go variant for me. Xpert has an option to break 75C limit, plus, it has an option to bind fan speed to GPU temps - the most intensively used piece of hardware in my PC.

Any ideas/suggestions?
22 REPLIES 22

dmt_taran
Level 8
So, this is the BUG, personally, himself. (took some time to catch him out) 75173

dmt_taran
Level 8
Ok, so my conversation with asus support ended up with aadvice to send "My router to service, in order to repair LAN port".

@Asus,

DAFUQ is goin on in ur service center?

dmt.taran wrote:
Ok, so my conversation with asus support ended up with aadvice to send "My router to service, in order to repair LAN port".

@Asus,

LOL, ROFLMAO.

Was this by chat or email? Perhaps they accidentally replied to the wrong message/customer. That clearly has nothing to do with the issue you were asking them to resolve.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

mr_fox_rox wrote:
LOL, ROFLMAO.

Was this by chat or email? Perhaps they accidentally replied to the wrong message/customer. That clearly has nothing to do with the issue you were asking them to resolve.

e-mail.*
Whatever they’re trying to feed me, I’ve already seen enough to understand that I 99% not going with asus anymore.*

Starting with MG279Q screen - it had flaws like dead pixels, unknown “faded” spots, and refresh rate malfunction; I’ve sent it to repair service, and u know what? They didn’t found any refresh rate issues, however they confirmed screen’s pixel’s flaws - and changed it with another dead pixels screen! FFS!
Then gtx1080ti with awfull coil whine, around 50 dbm

And now this?

And u know, I really doubt Fan xpert glitch has hardware origin, that motherboard should be sent to repairs...*

dmt.taran wrote:

@Asus,

That's ASUS customer service at its best. Absolutely incompetent.

I have the exact same problem. Randomly all fans are going full speed.

I never thought that it could be after installing a non-ASUS GPU (didnt have this issue when i had ASUS, but recently switched to EVGA GPU because ASUS screwed me over with my 1080ti, so i went 2080ti with EVGA instead).

This is ASUS way of punishing you for not throwing all your money at them. Absolutely disgraceful.

As a solution to this, i will uninstall all ASUS software (since ASUS doesn't know how to make software anyway) and find another fan control software that i can actually count on.

GG ASUS, i spend more than $5000 USD on my ROG-only build, to be punished for switching GPU brand after you wouldn't RMA my 1080ti that was faulty but still had warranty.

This might not be the forum to say this, but i'll never buy anything from ASUS again. Partly because of the terrible software, but mostly because of the more terrible customer service and product quality:
* 49inch ultrawide came with dead pixels from the factory
* 1080ti STRIX that crashed all games - and ASUS lack of support with more than 6 months of warranty left <- made me switch to EVGA
* ROG XI FORMULA OLED display screen burn-in after 1 month
* ROG Ryujin 360 OLED display screen burn-in after 1 month
* Terrible customer service
* Terrible software for your products.

Asus should make PCH fan zero rpm mode for X570

cranium1
Level 7
I am having the exact same issue as shown by dmt.taran in that screenshot. Some fan randomly decides to glitch and stay at max speed. And its a different fan each time. Weird.

towerelect
Level 7
Same problem with myself and I have an Asus founders edition blower style 2080Ti Graphics Card. It thinks my top fans are water pumps and runs them full speed. They are 4 pin types and not DC control. I uninstalled the AI3 DP matrix and have been uysing the motherboard Q Fan controls to manage the fans. Tried the official Asus fan expansion board as well and that did not help but left them on that as I could not be botherd going head to head with Asus software. C'est La Vie. Getting the new Dark Hero MB and AMD 5930 CPU so leaving Intel behind. Hopefully I will leave this behind as well. Note my fans are non RGB and different makes not that this should make any difference!

Mergatroid
Level 7
dmt.taran wrote:
I have problem with fans rapidly kicking in full speed without any known reason. They just randomly throttle to the max without any reason. It could be when PC is idle, when it's under load - whatever it could be, fans just push to the max, though a moment ago they just worked silently. Temps can be idle (33-43C) or high load (50-55C), doesn't matter, the glitch comes out. Fans can work flawlessly for a week, or they can glitch dozens of times per one day.
I don't know what causes it, or how long this bug lives - fans can kick in for 1-3 seconds and drop down the speed to set numbers again, or they can work at full speed forever until I manuaally stop or change any option via fan xpert.

Problem occurs only when Fan Xpert is used (unproven, but I have strong feeling about that, because no issues when UEFI Qfan utility is used).

As for fans - ATM, I use 6 nb eloops, connected to 2nd and 3rd cha_fan via 4pin splitter, 1 by 3. Before, I used 6 vardars, each connected separately, 4 of them I've connected with 1->2 splitter after a while. All this time I had such a problem. I had this problem before Spectre/Meltdown, with AI Suite temporary fault, and afterwards.
MB is X hero.

Using Qfan only is not a variant, because ASUS is a joke here because of 75C limit and aabsence of GPU bind. I have silent custom loop with CPU thrown at 5 GHz at high voltage, so I can't decrease time-to-time spikes up to 79C. That is said, Qfan is no go variant for me. Xpert has an option to break 75C limit, plus, it has an option to bind fan speed to GPU temps - the most intensively used piece of hardware in my PC.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I have this exact same problem. In fact, this has happened over two main boards with assorted versions of AI Suite. Right now I am using an ASUS Prime Z-490A, AI Suite 3, Dual Intelligent Processors 5 V2.00.31. System information says 2.00.05.

Same problem. System will be working fine, and suddenly the CPU fans are at 100%, or the case fans are at 100%. It never seems to be both. (I have three into one PWM controlled from CPU_FAN header, and three into one PWM case fans controlled by motherboard front header, and one rear PWM fan controlled by rear motherboard header). Both of the splitter cables are correctly configured.

This fault has been an issue for years. Across two different main boards (the other one was a Sabertooth Z87), assorted video cards, assorted brands of fans and different splitter-cables, even different CPU coolers. My current one is a DeepCool 360mm AIO.

If I enter the software, and click on either the fan profile I have set up, or on one of the icons for preset ranges, the problem goes away....until the next time. Thinking about dumping the software and just control everything from BIOS. That's not very convenient but the software is not functioning properly. Never has.