cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI Suite 3, CPU/PCH temps, Fan Xpert 3

faridc
Level 7
I have recently upgraded Mobo and CPU and installed the new ASUS AI Suite 3 and I had a few questions regarding the temp readings I've been getting.
I am familiar with AI Suite 2 and Fan Xpert 2 that came with it on my previous Mobo (P8Z77-M PRO), after 2 years of use, I had started getting some weird temp readings such as +100C or - 60 C CPU temps, while every other temp monitoring software I ran alongside with AI Suite 2 did not register any of these temps.

Now, with my new Mobo (ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA) and using AI Suite 3, I'm getting some readings I wanted to see if they are acceptable or not.
See pictures below:

As you can see, the CPU temps tend to spike with every minor PC activity, opening a folder, moving mouse cursor around the screen...etc.
The old AI Suite 2 did not display such variations!
Then if you look at T_Sensor1, it shows a temp of 33C even though there is no sensor plugged into the header on the Mobo.
On the other hand, the PCH temps show random dips into 0C.

So, is it the software that's malfunctioning, the sensors that are defective or is it my CPU cooling system?
As far as CPU cooling, I'm using a 212 EVO with push-pull configuration. Ambient air inside the case is around 24 C with a total of 7 fans running.

My specs:
Windows 10 (home 64 bit)
i7-6700k (stock) - Heat sink: Cooler Master 212 EVO
RAM: 32 GB (G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 C15 2x16GB)
MoBo: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC Gaming ACX 2.0+ (04G-P4-3975-KR)
PSU: Corsair CX750M
SSD 1: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB
SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2

By the way, I had contacted ASUS support last year when I was getting the weird readings with the AI Suite 2 and they suggested to clear CMOS and/or uninstall AI Suite, use AI Suite cleaner and reinstall AI Suite. It did not make any difference.
15 REPLIES 15

JustinThyme
Level 13
Load test showing curves in action using liquid temp as control point. before start, one minute in then 5 mins in.

Edit Now I simply changed the control point to CPU, opened min/max on the curve from 25-32 to 30-45 no need to even load to show the difference, these are at idle, Fist five minutes, then 10 minutes. Note the graphing of the rad fans..........yeah thats nice and smooth and stable.....NOT.

Enough of that, its drivng me bonkers! Up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down!
Change back parameters to follow liquid temps and min/max back to 25-32. Note how it smoothed right out........

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

quark54
Level 8
Your ramping up and down when merely surfing is not normal. Something is amiss. I'm sure you're aware that with modern CPU's there is a relatively high frequency temp output variation, you'll see it on the graphs, Aida64 graphs for example, but that's normal. What you're describing is a lower frequency affect that impacts fan RPM.

I'm air cooling of course. Noctua NH-D15S and five Noctua PWM case fans. All controlled by my FanXpert fan curves.

Where is your CPU rad fan RPM/Temp curve? That's the important curve to see! Is the curve too steep, so that even a slight change in temp changes fan RPM? Did you try a flatter curve? If the CPU fan/Temp curve is flat enough there can't be sudden up and down RPM changes, just while surfing the net. Not unless your motherboard temp sensor is screwed up beyond belief.

Default fan curves are often less than effective and sometimes display the over sensitivity you mention, so change it

Your three attachments don't work.

My fans don't ramp up and down as you describe even under load Justin, They don't do it any time at all. That applies to my very old 17 920 system, my 3770K system my son now has and my new 6700K system. My 6700K CPU has not been delidded.

It may not be true for you when you have your CPU undervolted and underclocked. Any chip, delided or not will jump 40C at the drop of a hat when put under load.

Yes you are right, if you put a chip under load the temp will increase rapidly. But that doesn't mean your fans have to. FanXpert includes the "Fan Spin up" and "Fan Spin Down" option. This can be set anywhere from zero seconds to around 204 seconds. It's designed to prevent any sudden increase in fan RPM. In addition, everything that can be set in FanXpert can also be set manually, by you, in the UEFI. So even if you don't like FanXpert, this can easily be configured.

Have you tried entering your UEFI and adjusting your fan spin up and down time??? It will stop your fans reacting instantly to temp changes. Should smooth things out.

Menial tasks like surfing the web and the fans would ramp up out of nowhere from 400 rpms to 2500 then back down again........repeatedly and had the same result with 3 6700Ks. Search the web and you will see this same scenario literally thousands of times across every enthusiast forum out there. How to fix it? Use a different reference that doesn't move so drastically.

Justin, menial tasks like surfing should NOT cause your CPU load and thus temp and thus fan RPM to suddenly jump up and down. CPU load doing those things shouldn't cause a load of sufficient intensity and duration to cause fan RPM to spike. If that's happening to you something is wrong. I suspect your fan curve is wrong with no spin up or down delay set.

I've not had issues like that with ANY system I've built Justin, and that must be about 9 systems now over the years, built for me, my friends and family. I can surf the web all day, watch YouTube videos, talk to you on the forum, whatever... and my fans stay at almost a constant RPM, maybe one or two RPM variation. Under load, the fans ramp up to whatever the RPM is that my fan curve deems is appropriate and they stay there.

Can you give me some links to this phenomenon that you say happens literally thousands of times? I'm interested reading about it.

and I would ask anyone who claimed otherwise to post up a video showing their CPU temps and fan speeds as Id have to see it to believe it.

Believe it Justin... I don't tell lies, I have no motive to.

The variable between our two systems of course is I'm on air and you water.

There is one occasion I've seen this.... when FanXpert occasionally chooses to ignore my fan curve. Then there is a minor ramping up and down. But as I say... it's because the fan curve is wrong!

quark54
Level 8
In case it's any help, my D15S CPU fan/Temp curve is as follows. And bear in mind FanXpert measures CPU temp, not core temp, so the temps are lower than core temps. So it's the curve angle I'm highlighting, which I bet is a lot shallower than yours.

Fan RPM CPU Temp

20% - 40 Degrees

55% - 60 Degrees

100% - 75 Degrees

The above, plus a sensible spin up and spin down time equates to zero fan RPM ramping issues.

Spin up - 6.3 seconds. Spin Down 8.5 Seconds.

I know you don't like AiSuite, but were you aware that every aspect of FanXpert is available in the UEFI, including exactly the same temp/RPM graph you can drag and drop. There should be no reason to have the issues you mention when using CPU temp to guide fan RPM.

The images above, What software is that? Have you tried different software other than the software you currently use to configure your fan curves. I have heard of dodgy fan control software causing issues with fan RPM's, namely ramping up and down???

In short... my suggestion to you is that if you set up a "flat" fan curve up to about 50 degrees or so [you choose] then the fans literally "can not" change RPM while surfing the net like you describe. It would be impossible. Mine is set up to 40 CPU temp which is roughly 50 Core Temp. From that point, under load, the fan RPM increases. There is no reason at all to have you fans ramping up at low temps. Any brief temp peak, as long as it's not ridiculous, is unobjectionable and wont cause CPU degradation.

Set up a spin up and down delay too.

YOU have full control over your fan RPM, so the phenomenon you describe is easily mitigated.

quark54 wrote:

In short... my suggestion to you is that if you set up a "flat" fan curve up to about 50 degrees or so [you choose] then the fans literally "can not" change RPM while surfing the net like you describe. It would be impossible. Mine is set up to 40 CPU temp which is roughly 50 Core Temp. From that point, under load, the fan RPM increases. There is no reason at all to have you fans ramping up at low temps. Any brief temp peak, as long as it's not ridiculous, is unobjectionable and wont cause CPU degradation.

Set up a spin up and down delay too.

YOU have full control over your fan RPM, so the phenomenon you describe is easily mitigated.

I did some more research online and found several threads/posts on multiple forums that talk about the I7 6700k and temp spikes with minor everyday operations such as opening windows/surfing web, folders...ext.
It seems it's just the way this thing is built!

I readjusted the fan profiles to prevent those annoying ramp ups.

quark54
Level 8
Do you have those links? Can you post them?

Yep, if you are getting that sort of thing a fan spin up and spin down delay is the way to go.

I manged to recreate this by eliminating the spin up and down delay on one of my fans. I have to say though, it wasn't an extreme issue. Would be more noticeable if your fans are set to high RPM I guess.

quark54 wrote:
Do you have those links? Can you post them?.

I just googled I7 6700K temp spikes, or something like that.