cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI Suite 3 Bugging Overclock Stuck at 3.8GHz

B3L13V3R
Level 7
Here's the TLDR;

AI Suite 3 bugged my OS so that it will not obey BIOS settings for CPU overclock. Reset CMOS, cleaned the registry using two different tools, I even tried to use Intels XTU to override whatever AIS3 did. Nothing will fix it so far.

The rest of the story...

So, I knew better than to install AI Suite 3, but I was looking for a specific outcome that it gave me on this X99 system about a year ago where I was able to get a stable OC on my 6850K using the software to 4.7 on the best core, and 4.5 for the rest. I could couple this with XMP and get a full 3200MHz on 16-17-17-36-2 timings using this ROG edition Corsiar Platinum RAM (16GB kit). Also, CPU cache gave a nice little twitchy feel to the system set to 37.

So, once I tried a few times to run AI Suite's overclocking (forgot the name) module, it would never clock over 3.8GHz. So I gave up and reset the BIOS to defaults, then proceeded to configure my very stable 4.4GHz in the BIOS as the system has operated this way for the past year or so under a custome water loop. Then, I booted into the OS (Win 10 Pro v1809 / build 17763.55).

This is where I became aware of a problem. While checking all the normal software reads with CPUID, Task Manager, AIDA 64, Aquasuite, etc... they all confirmed that the OS was not recognizing the correct BIOS settings for CPU clock. So I booted back into the BIOS, settings were still correct, and continued back to Windows and still the same issue with being stuck at 3.8GHz, although RAM was actually correct. Even changing the RAM timing, Windows sees my changes in the BIOS which tells me that it seems to be an OS issue with AI Suite.

I worked on this for a few hours, searching here for answers, hopefully finding something from HiViz or Arnie. They are two of the super stars that have helped me before with hard things. This one seems to be a prevalent thing with AI Suite being very poorly implemented. Especially since it has to support so many SKU's across various teirs and quality levels of product..

This system runs like a beast when it's right, but I guess I forgot what it took to get this board running when I first got it. It wasn't fun and it required the pain of other RVE buyer experiences to get me through it. But it's what I got and it is a monster when it's right.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I have in fact reset CMOS at least 5 times and even pulled everything apart (because I upgraded my loop, not because of this issue). I just don't want to have to reinstall Windows as I don't really have the time to set everything up again right now since spending last weeks nights making to physical updgrades that took a little longer than planned. We have a baby coming, I'm working through a software launch (using THIS machine daily), and frankly, this is a complicated build of Windows that is otherwise handling my workflow super well. It would take me no less than 5 or 6 hours to be back up and running at a basic level if I had to reinstall Winblows. I don't even have a weekend available to do that ATM.

Here's a shot of the system for reference:

2 REPLIES 2

JustinThyme
Level 13
Did this just pop up or has it been going on for a week or two?
There was a recent windows update that fubared the CPU microcode, new BIOS due soon if not already.
Some other posts here about it that some found replacing a file with the previous version on fixed it.
For me
Uninstall KB4100347 it will prompt a restart, before restart download and install wushowhide and hide this update until they get a BIOS fix.
Back to where I was with a 4.8GHz OC on a 7900X all 10 cores.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Did this just pop up or has it been going on for a week or two?
There was a recent windows update that fubared the CPU microcode, new BIOS due soon if not already.
Some other posts here about it that some found replacing a file with the previous version on fixed it.
For me
Uninstall KB4100347 it will prompt a restart, before restart download and install wushowhide and hide this update until they get a BIOS fix.
Back to where I was with a 4.8GHz OC on a 7900X all 10 cores.

Nice!! That's definitely something I haven't tried. I'll do this now.

I figured it might be something with one of these non-tested Windows updates lately. Abysmal product quality for the past year across almost all of MS's mainline products. If it isn't Asure, they don't really care until it get's public.

And thanks for the suggestion.