cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows performance tip: Smartscreen is a cpu hog

Jimbo93
Level 12
Some folks might be very comfortable with turning off smartscreen. Smartscreen is a guard against you clicking the wrong link. The option can be found under windows security - Apps and Browser control, and, in there... turn off all that smart screen stuff, well maybe leave the microsoft store option enabled. I just did this and whammo, 5% better multi-threaded score in CPUZ. Oh, and Armoury Crate installed in one click no failure. Not sure if that is related.
5 REPLIES 5

Squall_Leonhart
Level 8
Nonsense, smartscreen isn't an active process.

Squall Leonhart wrote:
Nonsense, smartscreen isn't an active process.

The behavior was inconsistent, not reproducible. But there was something funny going on with defender. Seems to be sorted out with a WMI repository rebuild I just posted about. Also, I have a frequency locked CPU so getting the best benchmarks takes a different approach.

Edit: I just want to add this for any readers, as you probably know, it is almost never recommended to rebuild the repository. I had exhausted all other possibilities over weeks of working on this. Also, I use a special script written by a Microsoft expert that I have previously tested. See my recent posts in the Armoury Crate tips thread fpr more backgound.

Jimbo93 wrote:
The behavior was inconsistent, not reproducible. But there was something funny going on with defender. Seems to be sorted out with a WMI repository rebuild I just posted about. Also, I have a frequency locked CPU so getting the best benchmarks takes a different approach.

Edit: I just want to add this for any readers, as you probably know, it is almost never recommended to rebuild the repository. I had exhausted all other possibilities over weeks of working on this. Also, I use a special script written by a Microsoft expert that I have previously tested. See my recent posts in the Armoury Crate tips thread fpr more backgound.

kicking the thread for the edited info.

Squall_Leonhart
Level 8
WMI corruption can be horrible, it actually breaks dotnet applications that perform graphics device queries, prevents nvidia drivers from installing (classic "Can not continue" error), and also but not limited to abnormal cpu utilisation for system queries.

Squall Leonhart wrote:
WMI corruption can be horrible, it actually breaks dotnet applications that perform graphics device queries, prevents nvidia drivers from installing (classic "Can not continue" error), and also but not limited to abnormal cpu utilisation for system queries.

I am not surprised that it could do those things S. L. My theory though, is that windows setup failed to do everything right from the start. The repository passed the standard tests, but NETFX performance has lagged performance wise and AC has given me problems. Im finally feeling really good about the system.