cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are Armoury Crate Settings Stored?

gimbal
Level 7
I have an ASUS Z690 Extreme board and if I uninstall Armoury Crate, or even if I do a clean install of Windows, all the prior RGB settings I made in Armoury Crate are still maintained somehow. So these settings must be written/stored on the board somewhere. Does anyone know where?
7 REPLIES 7

xeromist
Yes, I believe basic color schemes and animations are stored on the board(solid, breathing). Complicated routines from Aura creator are going to be software driven. That's why some people notice more CPU usage with complex lighting.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks for the input. It can't be in the BIOS, but there must be like a EEPROM chip somewhere on the motherboard that stores the settings. That's kind of important to know because if you don't like Armoury Crate and want to uninstall it, one better change the settings to what you want before you do ...... otherwise you there's no way to change them short of installing Armoury Crate again. I would think it should operate by implementing perhaps a set of RGB defaults if one uninstalls Armoury Crate. Then again, you'd be stuck with the defaults which you may not like. Bottom-line, the way ASUS has designed this almost forces everyone to install Armoury Crate whether they like it or not.

gimbal wrote:
Thanks for the input. It can't be in the BIOS, but there must be like a EEPROM chip somewhere on the motherboard that stores the settings. That's kind of important to know because if you don't like Armoury Crate and want to uninstall it, one better change the settings to what you want before you do ...... otherwise you there's no way to change them short of installing Armoury Crate again. I would think it should operate by implementing perhaps a set of RGB defaults if one uninstalls Armoury Crate. Then again, you'd be stuck with the defaults which you may not like. Bottom-line, the way ASUS has designed this almost forces everyone to install Armoury Crate whether they like it or not.

can you not clear it with a power reset? You know pull plug and press power button. Seems to work on my system.

You mean in order to drain the capacitors? Hmmm, I'll try it and repost back.

gimbal wrote:
You mean in order to drain the capacitors? Hmmm, I'll try it and repost back.

Yep, it has also been my experience that *many* issues with devices not being recognized or getting "stuck" with a particular effect or color can be fixed by shutting down and - this is the important part! - turning the power off at the PSU level and keeping it like that for a few seconds until all the leds in the motherboard go off. If you don't do this the PSU will still provide 'juice' to the motherboard despite the PC being off.

Well, I uninstalled AC, and tried the power reset several times along with re-imaging the operating system, and all the RGB settings are still persistent. Can't get rid of them. If it worked for you, then you must have a different motherboard. Looks like the Extreme must have some sort of NV Ram chip on it .... perhaps either powered by the BIOS battery or some huge capacitor that doesn't want to drain. The only thing I didn't do is pull the onboard battery because I didn't want to have to reload the CMOS values.

gimbal wrote:
Well, I uninstalled AC, and tried the power reset several times along with re-imaging the operating system, and all the RGB settings are still persistent. Can't get rid of them. If it worked for you, then you must have a different motherboard. Looks like the Extreme must have some sort of NV Ram chip on it .... perhaps either powered by the BIOS battery or some huge capacitor that doesn't want to drain. The only thing I didn't do is pull the onboard battery because I didn't want to have to reload the CMOS values.

surprising. Yeah I do not think it should be necessary to remove battery. Only other tho it is to actually ground the power plug to help discharge and while pressing power button. If that does not do it I draw a blank.