cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We're done

zzr1400
Level 8
I've had enough of being a beta tester for software which shouldn't even be released. Since Armoury Crate was released on an unsuspecting public I've spent more time fixing Armoury Crate issues on my PC than anything else. I've invested time in creating profile after profile, only to have to wait ages for fixes to things that break after an update and sit there wondering when it will start working again, then an update shows up which fixes one thing but then breaks another. It's like watching the slowest and most frustrating game of whack-a-mole being played by the Asus Armoury Crate Developers. It's not just minor tweaks or some part of the functionality of a particular device that breaks ... it's normally the whole device! Just gone and not working at all in Armoury Crate. This has to be the worst piece of sofware that has been written to do the most important of tasks (RGB isn't an important task) such as configuring mouse and keyboard binds, polling rate, etc. If that stuff doesn't work then you're no longer competitive, and thats the reason we bought this stuff in the first place.

What is even more upsetting is that I've invested LOTS of money on Asus peripherals yet the confidence I have that they will continue to work at any point in the future is absolutely zero. The most recent issue being that the updates for my X299 TUF Mark II motherboard simply broke and it refused to update itself with error code 12. The only resolution was to download the uninstall tool and remove everything and start from scratch - which would be about the 5th time I've been forced to do this. Add to that the iCue integration is completely broken and has been that way for almost a month.

If the software to configure the products that I purchased doesn't work reliably and doesn't allow me to configure aspects of that product that I paid extra for, then the hardware itself is "not fit for purpose".

So here's my intended course of action, and I suggest others do the same are else Asus will never get the message that the total absence of QA when developing software is not acceptable :-

1. X299 TUF Mark II motherboard - RGB completely lighting turned off in the BIOS. Pretend RGB on it just doesn't exist.
2. Replaced 32Gb Team Group RGB RAM with Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro - I've already sold the RAM to someone that doesn't care about RGB.
3. About to sell Asus Claymore keyboard on eBay. Have ordered a Corsair K70 Cherry Red to replace.
4. About to sell Asus Spartha mouse on eBay. No replacement as I wasn't using it anyway.
5. About to sell Asus Chakram mouse on eBay. Still looking at options.
6. About to sell Balteus Qi mouse pad on eBay. Still looking at alternatives that include QI charging, but options are limited. Might not replace it at all.

Asus have already missed out on two sales, as I've recently acquired a new headset and managed to get my hands on an RTX 3090 from an AIB manufacturer other than Asus. I'll replace my X299 TUF Mark II in another couple of years time when it's time for an upgrade as it's currently got a Core i9-7900X which will serve me well for a while yet. I'm about to move my entire build into a Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL and so I'll be refreshing all my lighting and fans in any event. I'm never going to buy another core system component which supports RGB as I refuse to be tied into such terrible software eco-systems for aspects of my setup which are so expensive. My CPU is already water-cooled by a custom loop, so if I want to add RGB to my GPU I'll just do it via a waterblock.

I've been an Asus customer for 20 years, either for my gaming needs or for hardware I've needed to acquire for my work as an IT professional. I can't list how many Asus motherboards, laptops and AIB's I've purchased over the years, but I can tell you this, I won't be buying any more. The hardware IS top quality, but if it's so dependant on software to function correctly and if that software is garbage then I'm afraid to say that the quality of the hardware is suddenly irrelevant.

I shouldn't need to have to put myself financially out of pocket by selling off my next-to-useless Asus peripherals, and I've seriously considered returning all of the above items to the various vendors and if a refund wasn't forthcoming then simply raise a "small claim" in the UK courts, but frankly I can't be bothered with this for one moment longer.

Yours Faithfully,
A once loyal fanboi but now an ex-Asus customer
10 REPLIES 10

zzr1400
Level 8
Aaaaand they're gone ... they're all gone.

Thats it. I'm finally done with this rubbish and can move on with my life. No more Asus products and I can say I'm actually delighted with the Corsair alternatives I've chosen. I've disabled RGB lighting in the motherboard BIOS and can now uninstall this total garbage and never have to worry about it again. Life is good!

yep been a year and i still can not use my rgb properly, may be last for me as well. FIX THE RGB for christ sakes!!

puttesnutt
Level 7
zzr1400 wrote:
I've had enough of being a beta tester for software which shouldn't even be released. Since Armoury Crate was released on an unsuspecting public I've spent more time fixing Armoury Crate issues on my PC than anything else. I've invested time in creating profile after profile, only to have to wait ages for fixes to things that break after an update and sit there wondering when it will start working again, then an update shows up which fixes one thing but then breaks another. It's like watching the slowest and most frustrating game of whack-a-mole being played by the Asus Armoury Crate Developers. It's not just minor tweaks or some part of the functionality of a particular device that breaks ... it's normally the whole device! Just gone and not working at all in Armoury Crate. This has to be the worst piece of sofware that has been written to do the most important of tasks (RGB isn't an important task) such as configuring mouse and keyboard binds, polling rate, etc. If that stuff doesn't work then you're no longer competitive, and thats the reason we bought this stuff in the first place.

What is even more upsetting is that I've invested LOTS of money on Asus peripherals yet the confidence I have that they will continue to work at any point in the future is absolutely zero. The most recent issue being that the updates for my X299 TUF Mark II motherboard simply broke and it refused to update itself with error code 12. The only resolution was to download the uninstall tool and remove everything and start from scratch - which would be about the 5th time I've been forced to do this. Add to that the iCue integration is completely broken and has been that way for almost a month.

If the software to configure the products that I purchased doesn't work reliably and doesn't allow me to configure aspects of that product that I paid extra for, then the hardware itself is "not fit for purpose".

So here's my intended course of action, and I suggest others do the same are else Asus will never get the message that the total absence of QA when developing software is not acceptable :-

1. X299 TUF Mark II motherboard - RGB completely lighting turned off in the BIOS. Pretend RGB on it just doesn't exist.
2. Replaced 32Gb Team Group RGB RAM with Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro - I've already sold the RAM to someone that doesn't care about RGB.
3. About to sell Asus Claymore keyboard on eBay. Have ordered a Corsair K70 Cherry Red to replace.
4. About to sell Asus Spartha mouse on eBay. No replacement as I wasn't using it anyway.
5. About to sell Asus Chakram mouse on eBay. Still looking at options.
6. About to sell Balteus Qi mouse pad on eBay. Still looking at alternatives that include QI charging, but options are limited. Might not replace it at all.

Asus have already missed out on two sales, as I've recently acquired a new headset and managed to get my hands on an RTX 3090 from an AIB manufacturer other than Asus. I'll replace my X299 TUF Mark II in another couple of years time when it's time for an upgrade as it's currently got a Core i9-7900X which will serve me well for a while yet. I'm about to move my entire build into a Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL and so I'll be refreshing all my lighting and fans in any event. I'm never going to buy another core system component which supports RGB as I refuse to be tied into such terrible software eco-systems for aspects of my setup which are so expensive. My CPU is already water-cooled by a custom loop, so if I want to add RGB to my GPU I'll just do it via a waterblock.

I've been an Asus customer for 20 years, either for my gaming needs or for hardware I've needed to acquire for my work as an IT professional. I can't list how many Asus motherboards, laptops and AIB's I've purchased over the years, but I can tell you this, I won't be buying any more. The hardware IS top quality, but if it's so dependant on software to function correctly and if that software is garbage then I'm afraid to say that the quality of the hardware is suddenly irrelevant.

I shouldn't need to have to put myself financially out of pocket by selling off my next-to-useless Asus peripherals, and I've seriously considered returning all of the above items to the various vendors and if a refund wasn't forthcoming then simply raise a "small claim" in the UK courts, but frankly I can't be bothered with this for one moment longer.

Yours Faithfully,
A once loyal fanboi but now an ex-Asus customer
They should be ashame and sued for falsh advertising!

DJEmir
Level 7
I've been running my Customized PC with Asus motherboard for over 7 years now and it is still running strong same with my ASUS Gaming laptop. I did have problems with my Logitech wireless mouse and had to buy a new one. Sometimes they just go bad. It was starting to double click on its own which was causing problems and frustrations when working in photoshop. I would take the time to tediously do a selection for masking and as I would do it the mouse would double click and prematurely finish the selection process sometimes cutting across areas I did not want to be selected and eternally frustrating me until I replaced the mouse. I tried changing the settings but then read somewhere that sometimes this just happens to your mouse and it needs to be replaced. You having issues with all your peripherals however sounds like you should speak with customer service directly and see if they can replace your entire motherboard or see what they can do for you. - DJ Emir

DJEmir wrote:
I've been running my Customized PC with Asus motherboard for over 7 years now and it is still running strong same with my ASUS Gaming laptop. I did have problems with my Logitech wireless mouse and had to buy a new one. Sometimes they just go bad. It was starting to double click on its own which was causing problems and frustrations when working in photoshop. I would take the time to tediously do a selection for masking and as I would do it the mouse would double click and prematurely finish the selection process sometimes cutting across areas I did not want to be selected and eternally frustrating me until I replaced the mouse. I tried changing the settings but then read somewhere that sometimes this just happens to your mouse and it needs to be replaced. You having issues with all your peripherals however sounds like you should speak with customer service directly and see if they can replace your entire motherboard or see what they can do for you. - DJ Emir

There's no hardware fault in any of my peripherals. This is Asus software which is fundamentally broken so as to render aspects of the hardware unusable. If you read the Armoury Crate section of these forums you will see that I am not alone and that this same issue persists for many customers. To treat customers in this manner is simply unacceptable.

same, completely.

My ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO hardware is great but not one bit of the software it came with works and armoury crate is garbage.

aura "works" but not really. I don't even open it, it just sits there and Synapse 3 or Icue control all the mobo RGB.

before this mobo I never had any issue with asus products, my optical drives are both ASUS, so is my monitor.

the simple software for them works without issue, but the mobo software is trash.

so as I can replace my mobo with an MSI one, im gonna.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Just Chiming in as Ive been trying to get this to work since before it was called Armory crate. I just tried again and now my R6EE wont even sync with Ique as it did before. This software has never worked correctly from the first steps of Aura. The only thing left now are my PG35VQ, MOBO and Core keyboard that never synched like ever. So Ill just leave the keyboard and MOBO on the standard out of the bow rainbow wave, set monitor to internal control with its own pattern or solid colors and run all my fans and stips with Ique. I give up too. Took me severall hours last night and a few hours today to get rid of all traces of this garbage. The Uninstall leaves all sorts of orphaned files, DLLs and registry entries behind. OMG what a PITA but at least thats been consistent from day one. ASUS makes some great hardware but the software guys they lock up in the basement need a new espresso machines and some serious exposure to daylight because literally anything else on the market works far better. Even the cheap stuff.

CGTExpert
Level 9

My x299 tuf Mark 2 has been working for at least 5 years, and still working, just made an upgrade of the CPU, no complains about that. RGB? ))) I mean it's cool that my mobo is shining multicolored lightning out of the back, but it's definitely not a critical thing for me . And yes, most rgb software is garbage, so I don't install them, but almost everything else is great.

My first Asus mobo, was working for 12 years and in not a great conditions, with a lot 100% loadings. 

cjmnews
Level 9

My next system will be zero RGB.  No more ASUS or Armoury Crate.  The fact that Windows reinstallation is part of the uninstall process (when their separate uninstaller fails to remove the software) for Armoury Crate shows how bad the software actually is.

Fan Control (open source software) will continue to be used to manage temperatures as it is pretty smart with the ability to look at multiple sensors to determine adjustments to fan speed.