cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RGB hangs after certain amount of time

Mardorr
Level 9
Hi,

The RGB on my motherboard and fans freezes after a certain amount of time, but not the DDR5 modules. Also the Anime Matrix freezes, but the OLED keeps running. RGB can't be reset through ArmouryCrate, only a shutdown helps.

motherboard: ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme
bios: 1101
ArmouryCrate: 5.0.11.0
1,153 Views
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Moderator

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Mardorr,

Does the freezing happen with the bios at default settings?


No, I am running with AI overclock and XMP for my DDR5 with slight overvoltage for stability.
I am on Windows 11 Pro 64bit which gives no errors (after putting extra voltage on ram). I am just running Firefox with some music in the background on the pc, while i work on my laptop, and after some time the rgb just freezes.

There is one update in Armoury Crate that I can't get installed, GameSDK Service. It gives an error every time i try. (current version 1.0.0.4)

Nate152
Moderator
Thank you,

If the GameSDK service is not updating, reinstalling Armoury Crate may solve it.

You'll want to use the Armoury Crate uninstall tool. In the link below, select your OS then click "Show all", it's the second download.

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/Armoury%20Crate/HelpDesk_Download/

Once uninstalled, reinstall Armoury Crate, does this get the GameSDK Service to update?

Here is a screenshot of my update center.

Click the pic to make it bigger.
92157

Nate152 wrote:
Thank you,

If the GameSDK service is not updating, reinstalling Armoury Crate may solve it.

You'll want to use the Armoury Crate uninstall tool. In the link below, select your OS then click "Show all", it's the second download.

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/Armoury%20Crate/HelpDesk_Download/

Once uninstalled, reinstall Armoury Crate, does this get the GameSDK Service to update?

Here is a screenshot of my update center.

Click the pic to make it bigger.
92157

I tried exactly this twice already. That doesn't help unfortunately. I get error code 16 every time.

The rgb freeze happens after about 3 hours btw...

Nate152
Moderator
While I'm not having an issue with the GameSDK Service, I got confirmation that this is a known issue and they are working on a fix.

Nate152 wrote:
While I'm not having an issue with the GameSDK Service, I got confirmation that this is a known issue and they are working on a fix.


Thank you, I will wait for the fix.

But that does not solve the freeze of the RGB I think.. I found that restarting LightingService sometimes fixes the freeze, but not always...

Mardorr
Level 9
I have been monitoring this and found 2 AAC MB HAL processes in taskviewer. One of them was taking 1.500MB, while the other consumed only 2.1MB... After killing the "big" one, the rgb resumed working.
So I think this process has a memory leak or something. So my guess the real problem is with ASUS AURA Motherboard HAL 1.2.8.0

From event log:

Faulting application name: Aac3572MbHal_x86.exe, version: 1.2.8.0, time stamp: 0x61c29640
Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.22000.527, time stamp: 0xa296a824
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000beee1
Faulting process id: 0x3ae4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d82495c736f333
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AacMB\Aac3572MbHal_x86.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\combase.dll
Report Id: 1568e07a-2d79-4a78-8401-e1acdb7928cc
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Mardorr wrote:
I have been monitoring this and found 2 AAC MB HAL processes in taskviewer. One of them was taking 1.500MB, while the other consumed only 2.1MB... After killing the "big" one, the rgb resumed working.
So I think this process has a memory leak or something. So my guess the real problem is with ASUS AURA Motherboard HAL 1.2.8.0

From event log:

Faulting application name: Aac3572MbHal_x86.exe, version: 1.2.8.0, time stamp: 0x61c29640
Faulting module name: combase.dll, version: 10.0.22000.527, time stamp: 0xa296a824
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000beee1
Faulting process id: 0x3ae4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d82495c736f333
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AacMB\Aac3572MbHal_x86.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\combase.dll
Report Id: 1568e07a-2d79-4a78-8401-e1acdb7928cc
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:



I'm running a B550F-Gaming with Ryzen 7 5800X (OC to 4.4GHz) 32 GB (3200MHz) and set with XMP Profile at 3200 MHz.

I can confirm the Memory Leak on the LightingService.exe. I have to restart the service in order to get my lights to start working again. I have to do this several times a day. I noticed that the lighting stops working after the LightingService gets to a certain memory usage and doesn't get any bigger. It happens around 1200 MB. It also seems to grow in usage by about 0.1 MB per second.

I have already fully uninstalled and reinstalled Armoury Crate per the proper uninstall procedure and the issue persists.

LightingService.exe is the only program that has a memory leak.

Nate152
Moderator
Since you say the freezing doesn't happen at default settings, my first initial check is always ram.

Try decreasing the Dram frequency a step or two and see if the errors and freezing still happens.