cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping key to open folder

framan
Level 7
Hi everyone, and sorry for my English 😄
I have a ROG STRIX SCOPE RX and would like to know how to map a key to open a specific folder.
In Keys' section in Armoury Crate there are different options (launch application, open web site, etc...), but none of them allow you to open a folder.
I also tried to create a link (.lnk) to the folder, but the "launch application" menu does not allow to select it.
I had a Cherry Keyboard with Cherry Keys software, and it was possibile to achieve this goal very easily.

How can I do it, in Armoury Crate?

Thanks in advance,
Francesco

4 REPLIES 4

Turbonetics
Level 7
Make a cmd link:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k start FOLDER_LOCATION

Turbonetics wrote:
Make a cmd link:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k start FOLDER_LOCATION

It's not working: cmd prompt is shown but the folder does not open. It works only by clicking directly on the link, not from the keyboard key.
I had already tried also with .bat file, and the folder does not open for security Windows policies.
I wonder why such a simple function is not provided.

RogScott
Level 12
Windows allows assigning a ctrl+alt+key combination to open a shortcut. So, create a shortcut that opens the folder. Edit the shortcut's properties, on the "shortcut" tab put cursor in the "Shortcut key" field and enter the ctrl+alt+key combination you want assigned to that shortcut. Close the shortcut properties. (Note: The combination has to be ctrl+alt in combination with any other key.)

That ctrl+alt+key combination will now launch the shortcut, opening the folder. If you prefer a single key instead of the 3-key combination, you can use AC to create a macro that issues the ctrl+alt+key sequence and assign that macro to a single key.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
Windows allows assigning a ctrl+alt+key combination to open a shortcut. So, create a shortcut that opens the folder. Edit the shortcut's properties, on the "shortcut" tab put cursor in the "Shortcut key" field and enter the ctrl+alt+key combination you want assigned to that shortcut. Close the shortcut properties. (Note: The combination has to be ctrl+alt in combination with any other key.)

That ctrl+alt+key combination will now launch the shortcut, opening the folder. If you prefer a single key instead of the 3-key combination, you can use AC to create a macro that issues the ctrl+alt+key sequence and assign that macro to a single key.

Thank you RogScott, I had already tried both methods but they only work in some cases and with a strong delay.
If it is not possible to achieve this with a dedicated option in AC menu, I think this may be a feature request.
In the meantime, I'll be using the function keys on the Logitech mouse and Wacom graphics tablet.

Thanks anyway.