cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard Backlight Turns Off after Exiting Sleep

acasualgamer
Level 7

Hi Asus,

I have a ROG Zephyrus M15 gaming laptop and ever since the new Armoury Crate 5.4.10.0 software I've noticed a super annoying bug. Every time my laptop awakens from sleep my keyboard backlight turns off completely. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Armoury Crate software and adjusting the system settings but nothing seems to resolve it. FYI: I tried running the Armoury Crate uninstaller but it didn't make a difference either.

Basically the only fix I have come across is messing with the Function + Arrow Keys to get the backlight to turn back on by cycling through Static, Breathing, Strobing and Color Cycle.

I noticed someone else wrote about the same problem in the AsusROG Reddit forum here:

I hope you will be able to look into this and fix this super annoying bug in your next release.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jkocz
Level 8

I've had the same issue.  FN plus the arrow keys to cycle settings worked.  I contacted ASUS chat support and they had me uninstall and reinstall Armoury Crate, etc.  Still had the same issue.  (In truth the chat people aren't very knowledgeable.  The last one suggested I reset my laptop.  Right...reset the laptop for a keyboard color issue.)   I noted that if I changed the setting in Aura Effect to something other than Static, the keyboard light didn't go out.  So...until ASUS comes up with a fix, I found that I could create a Solid Static keyboard using Aura Creator (found a simple tutorial video online to show how to use it) and set that in my Aura Effects.  Keyboard light stays on after boot up, sleep, etc.  So...that is a work around for now.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sanluismx
Level 7

Hello, I have a similar problem on a ROG Zephyrus M15, everytime  after windows starts , keyboard backlight turn off. Using Fn+arrow backlight turn back, super anoying. Regards.

jkocz
Level 8

I've had the same issue.  FN plus the arrow keys to cycle settings worked.  I contacted ASUS chat support and they had me uninstall and reinstall Armoury Crate, etc.  Still had the same issue.  (In truth the chat people aren't very knowledgeable.  The last one suggested I reset my laptop.  Right...reset the laptop for a keyboard color issue.)   I noted that if I changed the setting in Aura Effect to something other than Static, the keyboard light didn't go out.  So...until ASUS comes up with a fix, I found that I could create a Solid Static keyboard using Aura Creator (found a simple tutorial video online to show how to use it) and set that in my Aura Effects.  Keyboard light stays on after boot up, sleep, etc.  So...that is a work around for now.

Thank you so much Jkocz! Your workaround seems to the best way to get the keyboard lights to stop turning off and I can confirm that it works!

That being said, ASUS, please fix this super annoying problem! The keyboard lights should not be turning off every time the computer reboots or we exit sleep mode.

Thanks for your workaround. However, I'm not much a gamer, and I purposely did not install Aura Creator. I was going to report this after noticing this bug/problem soon after Armoury Crate was updated. At first I wasn't sure if it's a Windows Update or Armoury Crate update problem. Then, I found this has been posted on the ROG forum. I did find the Fn key solution myself but still felt it's very annoying. This is obviously a very incompetent coding bug--perhaps it's a switch somewhere in the code related to keyboard lighting management. I noticed the keyboard lights would come back on after waking up from SLEEP, but it went off right away after any key was pressed. It's not a live-or-die problem but a very annoying BUG. I doubt any time soon this bug of Armoury Crate's will be fixed. I guess I'll just have to live with the Fn key solution for now or perhaps for quite quite a while.

jkocz
Level 8

My Armoury Crate updated today when I accessed it.  Looks like that may have fixed the issue with the Static keyboard backlight going out upon reboot or awakens from sleep.  Fingers crossed!

My Armoury Crate was updated to 5.6.3.0 app version a couple of weeks ago, but the keyboard backlight issue with M15 GU502 models is not fixed (yet).

Pieloth
Level 10

Armoury Crate 5.6.8.0 is out, but still getting sometimes keyboard backlight going off issue when waking up from sleep...

Hope one day ASUS will fix Armoury Crate or BIOS (or both)  for that 

ASUS G713PV Ryzen 9 7845HX, NVidia 4060 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync
Workarounds set for stability: W11 Hibernate disabled: powercfg /h off (NO sleep Freeze/reboots) W11 Core isolation disabled (NO flickers) W11 HD audio driver instead of nVidia HD audio driver (NO Crakling/unstable HDMI sound) GHelper (Lightweight and stable)