cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jimbo’s AC uninstall procedure (REVISED, RE-TESTED)

Jimbo93
Level 12
(10-22 Added additional info regarding version of armoury crate and how it may affect registry information.)
(11-19 added more info How to determine what steps you should follow)
(12-31-21 added a reference to a modified clean boot procedure.)

Jimbo's uninstall procedure for a problem free re-installation.

Before going any further, please check if AsusCertService, asComSvc, AsusUpdateCheck, AsusFanControlService are working. Go to your windows Event Log, Application Log, these Services should start up and log an Event 0 "The operation completed successfully." See below the task manager image details view for what this should look like, one image is with Armoury Crate installed and the other is after running the uninstall tool showing the Asus services left after running the uninstall tool. But if AsusCertService is hanging or not working properly then you need to follow all the steps in this thread. The only alternative to these steps would be a fresh windows install, or reset of windows might work. If you decide to reinstall windows or reset it, make sure you install all drivers from the hardware manufacturers before installing Armoury Crate. But if AsusCertService starts up and logs success right after login and the others I mention work as well, you shouldn't need to follow all the steps, only uninstall with the uninstall tool, then start at Step 10 "Get your system ready to install Armoury Crate". Check the rest of this thread especially troubleshooting Microsoft Store and resetting it, Firewall reset etc. The Armoury Crate Uninstall Tool is available for download from the Asus support website, look up your Armoury Crate supported device and go to download utilities page, show all downloads.

If you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Armoury Crate and it has not solved your problem, you can try what I call the clean boot uninstall method at post #30 in this thread or you can proceed to the next paragraph which requires much more work. The clean boot procedure is relatively easy might solve your problem as only microsoft software plus a few required asus services will be running and this might eliminate conflicts with misbehaving software. If the clean boot steps do not completely resolve your issues continue with the next paragraph. link to post 30 https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126019-Jimbo%92s-uninstall-procedure-for-a-problem-free-re...

If you have are having problems installing Armoury Crate and nothing has worked, you may need to do this. If you have already tried the uninstall tool and reinstalling and still no success, then follow this procedure to uninstall/remove the ATK software that there is no uninstaller for. I can't guarantee it will do the same for you, but it should be safe to try if you are willing. I do recommend you have a backup before proceeding. This is intended to resolve conflicts when your motherboard is not identified. Before you try this you should follow Asus recommended procedure.

A Recommended tool that I use below: Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

1. (Optional): Disable startup apps from settings apps startup. Using System Configuration utility, disable non hardware related 3rd party services. Hide Microsoft services then sort by Manufacturer and if it is not from your hardware mfg, mb, gpu, other installed hardware, then disable. Leave
ASUS services enabled. Reboot.

2. Uninstall all Asus utility software especially AI Suite 3. Do not uninstall Asus drivers.

3. Download Armoury_Crate_Uninstall_Tool.zip from Asus. Right-click on the zip file, select properties, Unblock the file (select the checkbox to unblock). Unzip it. Run the Armoury Crate Uninstall Tool.exe and continue to reboot and run it until it succeeds/finishes. If after repeated attempts it still does not succeed, try the clean boot procedure I posted about later in this thread, it is post #30, stop before you reinstall ac and return here to step 4.

4. Now its time for the special manual cleaning steps. Using Autoruns (running as administrator) go to Everything tab and filter on asus, and right click on each Task Scheduler task and each service that was left over by Armoury Crate or AI Suite 3 and select delete, but wait, you do not need to remove the ArmouryLiveUpdate, and you do not need to remove AsusUpdateCheck, these are located in system32 directory and should cause you no problems. But the services that are located in c:\program files (x86)\ASUS\ need to be deleted. If you are not using AutoRuns you can delete the services the old fashioned way at an administrative command prompt with SC DELETE servicename. asComSvc, AsusCertService, AsusFanControlService. Use TASK SCHEDULER for tasks.

5. Reboot.

6. Open file explorer and navigate to c:\program files (x86)\ASUS\ and delete all the files and sub-folders there that were left. Also delete all files and subdirectories in c:\program files\ASUS\. Also delete all folders except SCD under C:\ProgramData\Asus (you need to show hidden items in file explorer).

7. Go back to Autoruns this time on the driver tab and right click-delete the following drivers: Asusgio2, Asusgio3.

8. REBOOT.

9. You took a backup of your system or registry right? Cause now its time to dive in to the registry. I used the following command in a normal powershell session to help determine registry entries to delete; reg.exe query HKLM /s /f ASUS. You might need to do some of this investigative work especially if your original version of armoury crate that was installed was much earlier than now. I was uninstalling version 4.2.5. Stick to the same part of the registry. I would stay away from hardware device/software device entries under enum branch.

Keys to delete in the registry for version 4.2.5:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASUS
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{57854199-4fbc-4438-87c1-a0e9fa206a33}
LocalService REG_SZ AsusCertService
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{BEBCB884-9C21-4117-B30B-CED03A72B50F}
LocalService REG_SZ AsusFanControlService
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AsusFanControlService.FanControlManag.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AsusFanControlService.FanControlManager
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ASUSGCDriverInitialClient
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ASUSGCDriverUpdateClient
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AsusGCGridServiceSetup
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AsusGpuTweak.GpuManager
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AsusGpuTweak.GpuManager.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\atkexCom.axdata
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\atkexCom.axdata.1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0647D986-BD6B-48C9-B496-91E73A06F3BD}
(Default) REG_SZ AsusAuraAnimation.AuraAnimationVersion
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{1A9482E3-2C71-44DF-9012-A969577325B6}
(Default) REG_SZ AsusAuraAnimation.AudioAnalyzer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{756E6C18-79CC-3842-9E47-7C80011D303A}
(Default) REG_SZ AsusAuraAnimation.AuraAnimation
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{4EBB095F-79F3-4D7A-B068-4151BEC1831C}
(Default) REG_SZ IAsusCertManager
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{34AAD71E-0356-470C-94B7-593BE46311BB}\1.0\0\win32
(Default) REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AXSP\4.02.08\atkexComSvc.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{490A72B6-EFC2-4742-A03A-4D5D3878AA5F}\1.0
(Default) REG_SZ AsusGpuTweakLib
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{57854199-4FBC-4438-87C1-A0E9FA206A33}\1.0
(Default) REG_SZ AsusCertServiceLib
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{DF5522FB-119C-428D-A62E-8BFE4A2FBC9B}\1.0
(Default) REG_SZ AsusFanControlService 1.0 Type Library
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{01863FDA-20F8-4B21-86E9-CF786BB65A11}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{01863FDA-20F8-4B21-86E9-CF786BB65A11}\InprocServer32
(Default) REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\VGA COM\2.00.07\AsusGpuTweak.dll
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{14083C53-B8E7-48E4-9320-811F3478C4A4}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{14083C53-B8E7-48E4-9320-811F3478C4A4}\LocalServer32
(Default) REG_SZ "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AsusFanControlService\2.01.07\AsusFanControlService.exe"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{2627F8BE-4482-4081-BC62-8A12CA24BDF8}\LocalServer32
(Default) REG_SZ "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AXSP\4.02.08\atkexComSvc.exe"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{419132B2-9160-4A00-B9AF-53A1AAC39979}\InprocServer32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{5E1D4F83-A98E-479D-8885-722BF582D10F}\InprocServer32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{A9B42DD5-AF51-4C7D-8A5D-8170D9D6459F}\InprocServer32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{BC50CF2A-E12C-4F18-90CE-714CC8600CEE}\LocalServer32
(Default) REG_SZ "C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\AXSP\4.02.08\atkexComSvc.exe"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{C4B81F84-F6AD-48EB-B7FA-018E29F7789E}\InprocServer32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{E9D3416A-9634-452B-8566-365F085102D2}\InprocServer32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{ECE726C5-024B-4141-84CD-58B1C3DBB91B}\InprocServer32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{ED16E2E2-25ED-4297-9575-839FF0AF86D6}\InprocServer32
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\CLSID\{facea3dd-fc30-43dc-98ba-ac9b32edaf44}
(Default) REG_SZ AsusCertManager class
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WOW6432Node\Interface\{4EBB095F-79F3-4D7A-B068-4151BEC1831C}
(Default) REG_SZ IAsusCertManager
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\services\asus
asus REG_DWORD 0x2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\services\AsusFanControlService
AsusFanControlService REG_DWORD 0x2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\services\asusm
asusm REG_DWORD 0x3
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\services\AsusROGLSLService
AsusROGLSLService REG_DWORD 0x2

****Check the above registry key for other asus services here that you uninstalled or deleted, might be a few, should be safe to delete.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Setup.exe
Path REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ArmouryDevice\dll\MouseSDK
(Default) REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ArmouryDevice\dll\MouseSDK\Setup.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ASUS

10. OPTIONAL but recommended.
To get your system ready for the resinstall of AC:

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth (or if you prefer you can use /restorehealth)
perform a reboot
sfc /scannow
reboot again

Reinstall ASUS recommended drivers for your motherboard and graphics adapter card. For motherboard drivers if you have a pretty new motherboard, then the drivers that shipped with your system on a dvd are the best place to start and the dvd has a utility to detect and install all your drivers. Alternatively, download the individual drivers from Asus Support page. If your system is over 2 years old, I recommend you see Mokichus driver threads, in there are instructions you need and the very latest drivers.

Retore firewall settings to default in Windows Security Settings, Firewall.
Cleanup Temporary files
Another step that could be thrown in but probably only if problems persist. Delete the contents of the Windows\prefetch folder. When I do this on rare occasions I do it from safe mode. Deleting the prefetch .pf files and other content in windows/prefetch can have minor undesirable effects, but sometimes I find it necessary. You can also force windows to run a full maintenance cycle which can be very helpful. Set the the computer not to sleep, go to security and maintenance, start maintenance.

11. Don't forget to re-enable stuff you temporarily disabled in step 1 and 2, but it can wait till after the re-installation of Armoury Crate. Re-install latest asus utility issued for your hardware.

12. One last suggestion. If you tried it and it sort of worked but still some functionality missing or broke, I think running the uninstall tool followed right after by a reinstall would pretty much resolve it.

13.Adding a tip that was posted by another member. And that is to check your Microsoft VC++ Libs. Might be a good idea to check for updates, or even to repair the installations. One procedure I saw and used is to remove them all followed by a dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup and then reinstall them. and Here is a link to an all in one installer for VC++ Libs from 2005 to 2015-2022 that I recently installed. Works fine so far and they are signed by MS. https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/

Questions or results? Please let me know. Good Luck.
(test)
58 REPLIES 58

BigJohnny wrote:
And this is why I don't run ASUS Software.......

A perfectly understandable choice. And actually, this is beta software. Its even called that on the windows store (you can't find there it unless its installed though).

I don't mind testing it for a limited period of time. If I find its unworkable, I'll be joining you. I still have an open issue with crashing services and some kind of strange WMI activity. Hopefully I can get a response when the ASUS team returns from their long weekend.

Jimbo93 wrote:
A perfectly understandable choice. And actually, this is beta software. Its even called that on the windows store (you can't find there it unless its installed though).

I don't mind testing it for a limited period of time. If I find its unworkable, I'll be joining you. I still have an open issue with crashing services and some kind of strange WMI activity. Hopefully I can get a response when the ASUS team returns from their long weekend.

Its been Beta (what they call beta is really alpha) since its inception. I tried every version for a long time and eventually said screw it. Its bad enough that it has never worked correctly then to have a PITA to get rid of it to reinstall the same problems after all the trouble. Then one update and you are back to screwing the pooch. Im admittedly an ASUS fan boy when it comes to the hardware but I stopped with the software long ago. I get the drivers from the respective vendors instead of the ASUS support page and as for any ASUS software I just dont use it. Another example is GPU Tweak. They have yet to get that right. Im not pleased with having to use software to get the clocks that are right on the package in the first place and use a different manufacturers software with far better results. AI Suite actually bricked two BIOS roms where I couldnt post from either. Fortunately that was an M8E and the ROMs were still socketed and I found them on fleabay for $35 each. They need to let those two guys that do the software and firmware out of the basement more often to get some sunlight and definitely a new espresso machine!!

BigJohnny wrote:
Its been Beta (what they call beta is really alpha) since its inception. I tried every version for a long time and eventually said screw it. Its bad enough that it has never worked correctly then to have a PITA to get rid of it to reinstall the same problems after all the trouble. Then one update and you are back to screwing the pooch. Im admittedly an ASUS fan boy when it comes to the hardware but I stopped with the software long ago. I get the drivers from the respective vendors instead of the ASUS support page and as for any ASUS software I just dont use it. Another example is GPU Tweak. They have yet to get that right. Im not pleased with having to use software to get the clocks that are right on the package in the first place and use a different manufacturers software with far better results. AI Suite actually bricked two BIOS roms where I couldnt post from either. Fortunately that was an M8E and the ROMs were still socketed and I found them on fleabay for $35 each. They need to let those two guys that do the software and firmware out of the basement more often to get some sunlight and definitely a new espresso machine!!

Thanks for the input. Agree on the hardware. Their MB's and notebooks are top notch in my opinion. Bought my first ASUS branded MB around '98 I think, it was for a Pentium 2. I added a Rendition graphics card. Had a lot of fun with it. Later I turned it into a Linux server. That board didn't want to quit. I have a 10 year old laptop Core i7, ROG G73SW, if it wasn't for me being stupid it would still be running with the original HDD! Unfortunately I bricked the BIOS trying to flash it from the NTFS main drive. The instructions didn't say you can't and it was readable from the BIOS EZ update whatever its called. Pardon my tears. It finished the flash, and verify, then said restarting in 2 seconds but the 2 seconds was more like a nanosecond. Never to be booted again.

Edited: This little chat made me hunt for a solution for that lovely old laptop. I think I found one! http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g73jh-bios-recovery.657861/#post8452651

I added a little more guidance on registry editing the way I did it, and added the version of armoury crate and how that could change registry keys a little. Hope its helpful.

Check or Repair your Microsoft VC++ Libs.

I followed your steps and it fixed some of my problems, but Amoury Crate is still not detecting my motherboard after all. Do you have any other suggestions?
Using windows 11

MrEnder wrote:
I followed your steps and it fixed some of my problems, but Amoury Crate is still not detecting my motherboard after all. Do you have any other suggestions?
Using windows 11

Does the uninstall tool report success when you run it?
Try putting the pc in a clean boot config (Let me know if you need instructions) and then running uninstall tool.
Take a look at this post by another member and check your registry for these remnants after you use the uninstall tool: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123217-Here-comes-a-very-usefuel-tip-for-armoury-crate-rei... did you see anything like shown? Follow the instructions there to uninstall remnants found.
Restore normal startup config reboot and install armoury crate
After installing armoury crate Run Microsoft store Troubleshooter and then from Setting-Apps-Microsoft Store-Advanced options-reset, Reboot, Go to microsoft store, downloads, update all.
Did you reset the firewall? After resetting it, and reboot, just log in and out to windows profile a couple times and when you log out allow the pc time to finish processes like 2 minutes, then log in and click allow to any firewall blocked messages.

Run the armoury crate "check for updates" from the settings section update center in AC. Is it all updated?

I followed your steps and it worked. Thank you for your time and effort.
I lost a lot of time trying to fix the issue and hope that Asus could "rework" their ArmouryCrate uninstall tool, so you dont need to manually uninstall/remove everything.
Thanks for your help. Have a nice day. 😄

Jimbo93 wrote:
Does the uninstall tool report success when you run it?
Try putting the pc in a clean boot config (Let me know if you need instructions) and then running uninstall tool.
Take a look at this post by another member and check your registry for these remnants after you use the uninstall tool: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123217-Here-comes-a-very-usefuel-tip-for-armoury-crate-rei... did you see anything like shown? Follow the instructions there to uninstall remnants found.
Restore normal startup config reboot and install armoury crate
After installing armoury crate Run Microsoft store Troubleshooter and then from Setting-Apps-Microsoft Store-Advanced options-reset, Reboot, Go to microsoft store, downloads, update all.
Did you reset the firewall? After resetting it, and reboot, just log in and out to windows profile a couple times and when you log out allow the pc time to finish processes like 2 minutes, then log in and click allow to any firewall blocked messages.

Run the armoury crate "check for updates" from the settings section update center in AC. Is it all updated?

I followed your steps and it worked. Thank you for your time and effort.
I lost a lot of time trying to fix the issue and hope that Asus could "rework" their ArmouryCrate uninstall tool, so you dont need to manually uninstall/remove everything.
Thanks for your help. Have a nice day. 😄

For folks that continue to have failed AC installations:

If you are sure you are not having hardware problems then you can

1. uninstall all asus utilities ALSO uninstall 3rd party Anti-Virus.

2. and run an in-place upgrade/repair of windows.

(An in-place upgrade /repair fixes many issues especially with drivers but also the main windows system. It does not fix corrupt profiles and a few other things.)

3. Reinstall items removed in first step.

This is marvelously fast on newer hardware and SSD drive. All installed applications and all windows settings and all files are preserved.
The fun part is if your bios is set to enable Armoury Crate then when you first log in it asks you if you want to download and install AC, it also seems to be checking for drivers you might need. I just ran did this and AC installed and ran without a hitch. This guide is from the number one source of windows how-to on the net: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html (use ISO option at step 3 unless you need another one).

The difference between me running this now and some of you is that I uninstalled a working AC installation. If yours is broken you may still need to do the manual cleaning steps at the beginning of this thread, before the windows upgrade/repair. Good Luck.