cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Armoury Crate legal to install and use in company assets?

nthanhcong0
Level 7
I am owning ROG peripherals like keeb, mice & headset.
And I would like to use them in both my personal laptop & company laptop.

So I am looking for rights that allow to use Armoury Crate and its services in company laptop, but there is no luck.
Does anyone know which keywords or phrase in the Agreements that allow to use Armoury Crate and its services in company laptop?

Please let me know & thank you in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

world
I am not a lawyer, but I don't see what the issue would be if you're just installing it for yourself! If you're on an IT team installing it on all the company computers it might be different but if you're just installing it for yourself to use it should be fine.

Your work lets you install whatever programs you want? My experience has always been that work IT blocks any user programs unfortunately!

Are you talking about your rights under the ASUS software license, or your rights under your employment contract with the company? What "Agreements" are you referring to?

Company policies and attitudes vary on these things. Some companies don't care much about installing something like that, but others are very strict about what you can install on their laptops. When it comes to a company laptop, you usually don't really have any "rights" as such, it's their machine and they can deny or allow these things as they like. Not legal advice, and don't get yourself into trouble with your company's management or IT department. You may need local administrator permission on the machine to install some things, so there's that, but not much technically stopping you if you have that and a company that is less restrictive in attitude.

As far as the ASUS software license goes, let me flip the question around. Is there something which makes you think that ASUS don't allow that? In general, hardware manufacturers don't care where you install their free software used to control and manage their hardware. I don't know if there's any specific terms in the ASUS licenses that prohibit installing it on a company computer, but it would surprise me if they place any restrictions like that on you. Have you seen something that makes you think it would be a problem? Personally, it's not something I would even check if I had a company machine and local administrator on it.

ahfoo
Level 13
As far as corporate regulation regarding IT OS, software, hardware issue to you belong to the company and you are not allowed to install software in to it prior to the approval from your company IT department.

Hi guys, thanks you guys so much for giving me so many advices as well as questions.
Let me summary and as below, please let me know if I miss one

1. From @world
- If you're on an IT team installing it on all the company computers it might be different but if you're just installing it for yourself to use it should be fine.
=> Yeah, I just employee and I installed Armoury Crate for myself purpose only.

- Your work lets you install whatever programs you want?
=> Yes I do have Administrator right to install programs, but IT said that the software license or the agreement say that "allows for commercial use".
And I could not found any like that in here
https://rog.asus.com/terms-of-notice/official-site/

2. From @MURPH_9000
- Are you talking about your rights under the ASUS software license, or your rights under your employment contract with the company? What "Agreements" are you referring to?
=> Yes I am talking about software license or the agreement of Armoury Crate.
It does not say that "allows for commercial use". So IT told me to uninstall, I see that's so ridiculous.

- Is there something which makes you think that ASUS don't allow that?
=> I don't think ASUS don't prohibit us to use "Armoury Crate" in personal nor company laptop.
Yeah but I have to show that ASUS allows to use Armoury Crate for commercial use.

3. From @ahfoo
- you are not allowed to install software in to it prior to the approval from your company IT department.
=> They will approve to use if I could show that ASUS allows to use Armoury Crate for commercial use.
So I am looking for that here
https://rog.asus.com/terms-of-notice/official-site/

If there is no hope, then I think I must unistall the software and my company rule is suck!!! :mad::mad::mad:
Thanks you guys for your help a lot