cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is Armoury Crate crashing my PC?

BigBadLion
Level 7
Hi everyone!

I have a rather weird problem and I think Armoury Crate could be the issue here.

I use two screens and sometimes my computer will randomly shut down the main screen, keep music/whatever is happening working, be able to use my mouse on the 2nd screen and some seconds after the rest of the computer will finally completely freeze. It could happen because I was alt-tabbing or because I opened a software. This doesn't happen while I'm gaming (gladly).

My only option to fix this? Reset my PC and then wait for it to reboot, which will run fine again until next time, when this issue would repeat itself at any moment.

My computer:

Asus TUF x570-Pro WiFi
5600X
32GB DDR4 3600Mhz
XFX 6800 XT
Corsair RM850 (2021)

Some weeks ago I used to have a Gigabyte 1060 6GB but I changed it. With it I removed its drivers with DDU and so far everything has been working just fine BESIDES this problem.

Why I think it could be Armoury Crate? Time ago I used to have installed AI Suite 3 in this machine but that thing just kept messing up my PC, I would get some random reboots from time to time (and in the event viewer I would not get any kind of error so I didn't understand what was happening) and only removing the software finally fixed my issue. Specially because I tend to see a lot of "ASUS services" activating and stuff like that in my event viewer moments after my system hangs so that makes me wonder if that's what's messing with my PC.

Any kind of insights or guidance would be neat too, in case it's not this software (for some time I thought it could be the new GPU, but I tried it in another machine but it worked just fine).

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hello BigBadLion,

Have you updated the motherboard bios?

With freezing and random reboots, try resetting the bios to defaults (F5 key), run it for a while and see if things return to normal.

Hi,

I have the following hardware:

Asus ROG Strix X670E-F Bios 805
Asus TUF RX6800XT
AMD Ryzen 9 7950x
ASUS Ryuo 240
64 GB Expo RAM

Installed, Windows 11 Pro installed, running.

Driver chipset and graphics card up to date.
Armoury Crate on it etc.

Blizzard Launcher, everything works 😄
Steam Client installed, Undecember installed. Started. System freezes instantly.
Reset
Undecember started again ... freezes. etc etc etc

Yesterday made a Windows 10 To Go stick, drivers on it, Steam on it, Undecmember runs.

Hmh, I thought to myself, possibly a Windows 11 problem with AM5. Not really.
With a reinstallatin of Windows 10 and all drivers + Armoury Crate the same thing happens. Instant Freeze

So, installed Windows 11 again, as usual, but only WITHOUT Armoury Crate. Undecember is running !

That is, Armoury Crate is responsible for the crashes ...
A friend of mine has a Nvidia 4090 with the same board and bios + Armoury Crate, but the system freezes on Undecember.

Must be a bigger problem

Just for info.....

Greetings

Nate152 wrote:
Hello BigBadLion,

Have you updated the motherboard bios?

With freezing and random reboots, try resetting the bios to defaults (F5 key), run it for a while and see if things return to normal.

Hi, yes. The bios is on the latest version and I tried resetting the bios as well.

No changes at all, sometimes it happens and sometimes it won't. It's exactly the same error I had when I installed the AI Tweaker.

Nate152
All right,

What psu do you have, is everything connected properly?

If it's still happening at default settings, I would suspect either a power issue or possibly a software conflict, in which case I wouldn't hesitate to do a fresh windows reinstall keeping software installs to a minimal.

If you reinstall windows install only the necessities.

chipset driver
audio driver
Update the graphics driver
Update windows

I would then install Armoury Crate, skip AI Suite and see how things go from there.

Nate152 wrote:
All right,

What psu do you have, is everything connected properly?

If it's still happening at default settings, I would suspect either a power issue or possibly a software conflict, in which case I wouldn't hesitate to do a fresh windows reinstall keeping software installs to a minimal.

If you reinstall windows install only the necessities.

chipset driver
audio driver
Update the graphics driver
Update windows

I would then install Armoury Crate, skip AI Suite and see how things go from there.

I used to have a EVGA P2 650w connected to my machine and the same happened. My PSU rn is a Corsair RM850 and everything is properly connected.

The thing is, this wasn't happening before. It started after changing the GPU and at the same time I upgraded something from Armoury Crate (it kinda broke after changing the GPU).

Also, I don't have the luxury of time to actually reinstall Windows atm (even when I thought about doing it). Mostly because I also use this computer to work.

Perhaps I can reset the install of Armoury Crate or totally delete it? After all my PC stopped having "weird" reboots time before after I deleted AI Tweaker and this totally makes me think it's that software's fault. Any ideas regarding how I could do that?

Thanks for the help!

BigBadLion wrote:
Perhaps I can reset the install of Armoury Crate or totally delete it?

There should be an armoury crate uninstall tool on your motherboard support page. Use that for best results.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…