cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflict with HWInfo64?

RogScott
Level 12
I received the AC 5.4.10.0 update today. It initially "upgraded" my existing version, and mostly worked fine -- but it kept saying it had keyboard updates, yet those updates would not install. So, I uninstalled AC (using the AC Uninstall Tool), rebooted, then reinstalled it, and completed all updates.

The keyboard updates (including firmware) all worked after the reinstall. And overall, AC is now working fine: The Dashboard displays correctly, FanXpert4 fan curves are all working, and it recognizes and controls my Animate-II keyboard and Ryujiin-II cooler.

However... When I launch HWInfo64, it hangs -- usually at "analyzing memory". I never had this issue until updating AC today. HWInfo64 has always worked just fine with previous AC versions. The HWInfo64 debug logs indicate the SMBus is locked (presumably by Armoury Crate).

Can anyone else test this, and confirm whether it is a wide-spread issue or just something on my system?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3
3 REPLIES 3

Jimbo93
Level 12
RogScott wrote:
I received the AC 5.4.10.0 update today. It initially "upgraded" my existing version, and mostly worked fine -- but it kept saying it had keyboard updates, yet those updates would not install. So, I uninstalled AC (using the AC Uninstall Tool), rebooted, then reinstalled it, and completed all updates.

The keyboard updates (including firmware) all worked after the reinstall. And overall, AC is now working fine: The Dashboard displays correctly, FanXpert4 fan curves are all working, and it recognizes and controls my Animate-II keyboard and Ryujiin-II cooler.

However... When I launch HWInfo64, it hangs -- usually at "analyzing memory". I never had this issue until updating AC today. HWInfo64 has always worked just fine with previous AC versions. The HWInfo64 debug logs indicate the SMBus is locked (presumably by Armoury Crate).

Can anyone else test this, and confirm whether it is a wide-spread issue or just something on my system?

RogScott, I do not use it anymore since I decided to enable virtualization on the CPU. But, I went ahead and installed it to test for any similar issues. With the CPU virtualization still on it installs and runs with no delay/hangs.

I do not get a (correct) reading of cpu frequency or memory frequency but that is due to virtualization being enabled.

The test was done with HwInfo64 version 7.40

RogScott
Level 12
@Jimbo93, Thank you for checking it. Upon further testing here, it seems the problem is intermittent. I use HWinfo64 a lot, so I know it consistently worked before upgrading AC today. But now, sometimes it works fine -- and other times it "hangs" when it tries to load the sensors.

So far, I *think* I have traced it down to a sporadic "crash" of the Aac3572MbHal_x86.exe driver. It randomly crashes, and after a crash, then HWInfo64.exe hangs trying to use SMBus. Presumably, the crash is leaving SMBus locked. (MB HAL, Aac3572MbHal_x86.exe version 1.3.9.1, dtd 1/3/2023)

Not sure what is causing it to crash, and it isn't happening frequently. But once it does crash, then HWInfo64 has problems loading. I'll keep poking at it and see if I can find any pattern to exactly when the Asus HAL is crashing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

RogScott wrote:
@Jimbo93, Thank you for checking it. Upon further testing here, it seems the problem is intermittent. I use HWinfo64 a lot, so I know it consistently worked before upgrading AC today. But now, sometimes it works fine -- and other times it "hangs" when it tries to load the sensors.

So far, I *think* I have traced it down to a sporadic "crash" of the Aac3572MbHal_x86.exe driver. It randomly crashes, and after a crash, then HWInfo64.exe hangs trying to use SMBus. Presumably, the crash is leaving SMBus locked. (MB HAL, Aac3572MbHal_x86.exe version 1.3.9.1, dtd 1/3/2023)

Not sure what is causing it to crash, and it isn't happening frequently. But once it does crash, then HWInfo64 has problems loading. I'll keep poking at it and see if I can find any pattern to exactly when the Asus HAL is crashing.

Nice deductive reasoning there. Occasionally I have also had that executable crash. I pretty much know whether I am going to have more problems if it crashes more than once after an AC re-install.