cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R9 290 black screens of death

Retired
Not applicable
I originally thought it was caused by some Catalyst bug(s), but after googling it further, I am not so sure anymore.

Symptoms: screen randomly turns black, and within a second the system completely locks up, leaving you with hard reset only. The only interesting thing is it never happens when playing a game (but it happened a moment after closing one down once). It always happened to me when doing random work on the desktop (as in not when idle, which is the other, much more known, black screen problem).

It originally started (or so it seemed) with Catalyst 14.9 and got much worse with the later betas, BUT recently I got a few of these lockups with 14.4, which led me to more googling, and I found posts describing the same problem with even older versions. R9 290 was mentioned in some of them, so I am thinking, could it be a problem related to specific cards?

Has anyone experienced anything like this as well?

My card is R9 290 DC2OC (with the latest BIOS available to date).
36 REPLIES 36

Mikan02
Level 7
Is memory underclocked in 2D mode? Mine is same in 2D and 3D. If it does so, maybe that is the issue.
Try set same voltage and frequency for memory on 2D and 3D with GPU Tweak.
Last thing I can think off if above dont work, is to use MSI afterburner and try tag "force constant voltage" within settings.

I'm Having the same problem, as soon as I log on to Battlefield 4 I can play for about 30 Seconds and the screen starts flickering and my system
locks up. I did a complete format and re-install of Windows and my drivers updated the PSU to 1500 WATT and still to no avail.
I also Installed MSI Afterburner and tried to set every thing the same for 2D and 3D.

Don't know what to do.

Natini wrote:
I'm Having the same problem, as soon as I log on to Battlefield 4 I can play for about 30 Seconds and the screen starts flickering and my system
locks up. I did a complete format and re-install of Windows and my drivers updated the PSU to 1500 WATT and still to no avail.
I also Installed MSI Afterburner and tried to set every thing the same for 2D and 3D.

Don't know what to do.

Is it just BF4 or other games / stress test applications as well?
Could it be a heat related issue (does it also happen when you set the GPU fans manually to 70%+)?
Have you tried putting a little more voltage on the chip?

For the R9 290X Matrix the Asus GPU Tweak tool should offer more configuration options than MSI Afterburner afaik.

elesde wrote:
Is it just BF4 or other games / stress test applications as well?
Could it be a heat related issue (does it also happen when you set the GPU fans manually to 70%+)?
Have you tried putting a little more voltage on the chip?

For the R9 290X Matrix the Asus GPU Tweak tool should offer more configuration options than MSI Afterburner afaik.

What stress test Application do you recommend? and where can i find a proper guide as to setting the voltage up a bit?
I don't want to end up hurting the card, and to answer you question, no it also did it on Shadow of Mordor and Star craft 2, games that do not have allot of stress seems to be fine eg. World of Warcraft an Dota 2

Natini wrote:
What stress test Application do you recommend? and where can i find a proper guide as to setting the voltage up a bit?
I don't want to end up hurting the card, and to answer you question, no it also did it on Shadow of Mordor and Star craft 2, games that do not have allot of stress seems to be fine eg. World of Warcraft an Dota 2

Actually found a short guide on ROG 😄
http://rog.asus.com/96782012/gaming-graphics-cards-2/a-simple-guide-to-overclocking-your-graphics-ca...

Do not fully agree with Furmark as stress test though, had my card stable on Furmark/Kombustor but it still crashed in some games.
Better to test in games like BF4 etc. or possibly a loop of 3DMark Firestrike if you have the full version.

Another thing you could try is to downclock the memory slightly just to make sure that's not the problem.
Could also be just a faulty card in the end with RMA being the only option 😞

elesde
Level 10
Yep as mentioned in a couple of other forums try to lock the memory at 3D frequencies or up the core voltage a notch. Most black screen issues apparently come from too low Vcore on the GPU when the VRAM jumps to full speed while the GPU is still in idle.
Then again those issues should not be there in the first place, RMA is an option that comes to mind.

Retired
Not applicable
Sometimes I don't even get a signal from the card at all! WTF! I am really thinking about a RMA now.
The worst part is all the problems I am experiencing are completely random and unpredictable.

elesde
Level 10
Fully agree with you there, as inconvenient as it is when the card is not working properly RMA is still better than having those random glitches and lockups all the time.

Retired
Not applicable
I noticed 290x has newer BIOS available than plain 290 and was wondering if anyone from Asus could find out whether an update is planned for the latter as well. Maybe some of the problems we have having could be fixed?

Retired
Not applicable
I experienced my first black screen WHILE PLAYING a game today. I was playing BF4 and all of a sudden my FPS went to hell, and GPU usage to 0%. Then the entire PC became completely unresponsive. Not frozen, but I couldn't do anything but hard reset.

This is with 14.4 Catalyst. I am starting to think R9 290/x is bugged piece of **** hardware really.