cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R9 280x Matrix Platinum Issues

Maniac
Level 7
Hi all,

I've had the R9 280x Matrix Platinum for about a week now and what a week! All be it a great card from my previous 6950 in terms of performance, it's just been a pain in the rear. Artifacts and game crashes have been plauging me and I've been trying so many different things to try and fix it, or at least what I can do.

Now there are lot's of things to consider before one simply says "RMA". Firstly, I'd rather avoid RMA until I'm absolutely sure its a physical problem. Fact is it's a brand new card where the BIOS and GFX drivers haven't been around long enough to be considered totally stable, or it least that's my view.

Now I've been on Tom's hardware posting my problems there, you can check it out here - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1849838/280x-issues.html - You can see my specs and more details on what I've done so far.

To sum up, I have found lowering the GPU and memory clocks helps but so far still get some artifacts. Does anyone else who has the same card experiencing the same problems? Can it be fixed with software or is this a faulty unit/first batch?

Any help would be great.
17 REPLIES 17

Maniac wrote:
Thanks man, however instead of artifacts I get crashes 😞

Any ideas? I am going to try the following:

Memory Clock - 6000Mhz (from 6400Mhz)
Memory Voltage - 1510mV (from 1600mV)

Everything else is default, is that what you meant earlier - what the issue is?

6000 mem clock and 1.510v is safe, you should be good with it. and it doesnt actually decrease your in-game FPS by much (probably 2-5 minimum fps). which is nothing if you are a gamer like me. however, if you are a benchmarker, you may not like it lol

are you having crashes with your new values ?
Aristo, an Enthusiast Gamer
Play on Steam? Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/heichalot/

"Everytime my setting passes HyperPi or Prime95, I get a boner"
-me

LG 60UN5400 Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel i7-5930k Haswell-E Kingston HyperX DDR4 2800 16Gb (4x4)
Asus RoG Ares II no. 789 & 179 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Kraken x60 Bose Companion 5 Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G13 Corsair K95 Logitech G500 Logitech HD Pro C920 Coolermaster Haf X

Yes I was still getting crashes. I am now trying the following:

1530mV - so far so good.

However, really I shouldn't have to be doing this at all as others as said so I am sending the card back. I will be replacing it with the EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked ACX. I'm hoping that as it's been out longer it will be more stable.

Thanks for all your help.

I seem to be having the same issue with my r9-280X DirectCU II TOP.

Works fine for general browsing, however any gaming that becomes graphically intense, Hard lock of the computer (Not BSOD, just black screen of doom, requiring hard resest).

I have run Heaven Benchmark, Furmark, Prime95, Memtest & 3dmark(Free), without any issues.
Temp wise, it peaks @ about 70 C, and VRAM also hits 70c, with decent fan speeds, so I dont believe that is a problem.

I have tried Every different ATI beta version that I can find (including the most recent one from the 22nd). I have also tried the stable release, and the "ASUS" approved edition 13.153 from the cards website.

I am about to start downclocking the RAM & GPU to see if that adds stability, however I feel that I shoudnt NEED to do this, as if it doesnt work out of the box, then its a a faulty product. I am reluctant to RMA though, as based on my last experience with ASUS RMA, I will have to get a new card (9 weeks last time, Australian based).....

Does anyone else have these problems or any other suggestions?

Hey Mestoth,

If you check my original post there's a link to Tom's Hardware where I posted some info on how I fixed(?) the issue before sending it back.

However, like you and I have both said we shouldn't have to change anything to get it to work - it should be fine right out the box.

Did you buy direct from AMD/ATi or from a reseller? Have you only have it for a few days/weeks? This is what I did, and what I recommend you do to:

- Call the reseller, explain you are not happy with your purchase. DO NOT SAY ITS FAULTY, they may test it and find "no problems". You can return goods, if bought from both a shop or online, after a certain period based on whether your happy or not with the product by law. This way they should take it off you.

- If they ask why you want to return it, say your not happy with the product. If they ask "Is it faulty?", say it doesn't meet your requirements.

- If they say "It sounds faulty, please RMA it" then make sure THEY get it back, not AMD/ATi. Be VERY clear on how to reproduce the problem otherwise they won't take it back.

- If all is well, ask if you can purchase a new card then send it back. That way you won't be without a card for a week. As it should be going back to the shop you bought it from, it shouldn't take long to get a refund at all.

Hope this helps dude.

Hey Maniac,
thanks for responding so quickly!

In Australia here, so we have some protection, however outside of the "return and exchange", however I can RMA it quite easily as a result.
Downside is, my last RMA with ASUS was like 9 week turn around time, which means I would end up having to buy a new card anyway! (Maybe good excuse to crossfire when it gets back I guess....)

Managed to resolve the problem in Arma 3 -> Turn off all SSAO. Hasnt resolved the problem 100%, just dramatically reduced it. Ditto for World of Tanks -> still crashing, just a lot less regularly

Explainer videos are ruling the marketing world. If your company wants to top the competitor’s list, getting in touch with top explainer video provider is the best option. Acadecraft is a leading ed-tech company offering the best explainer videos to clients worldwide. Our team ensures the most engaging videos at affordable rates.

wasp710
Level 7
here is may problums wit R9 280X
i tink is die series of most of r9 280X friend of me as same problum from MSI

Mestoth
Level 7
Thought I should update this thread:
I RMA'd the card once, they stated it was 'repaired (unsure if this was via ASUS or my retailer). Problem didnt go away.

Ive since suffered for a while with it, down clocking and such to try and make it work. the problem is getting worse, so I have now started the RMA process again. Spoke to an actual helpful person on the ASUS Customer support line, who was able to look up my previous ticket information. Hopefully this time they fix it or replace it.
Otherwise I guess asking for a refund (doubt that will happen), or i might just ebay the card and buy something else.