cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Black Screen " issue with Asus R 290

HSeldon
Level 7
I am having this "black screen " issue with my Asus R 290 graphics card(reference cooler) .

Mostly while playing some games . Monitor goes to a "black screen" or turns itself off . Heaven benchmark almost always ends up with black screen.

I did a burnintest. kombustor + prime95 worked half an hour without a problem. Also memtest+ completes without errors.
This maybe a hardware issue or a drivers issue.

A google search shows that there are quite a lot of people having the same problem.

is this a known problem with this particular graphics card? Before sending it back , i want to be sure that its a hardware issue.
18 REPLIES 18

Thank you for the advice.

I checked it. MB already on (Asus Maximus Hero )legacy mode.

hello all, i just got the powercolor pcs+ r9-290 and it has happened to me as well so i dont think it is just asus cards. after it happened to me i checked my error report to see what i could find,then did a check for solution and it gave me one.i clicked on the link to the fix and it gave a few methods on how to fix it. i havent tried this yet,but wanted to put it out there. it says to" increase the gpu processing time by adjusting the timeout detection and recovery registry value" it has the opiton for you do do this manually or you can download the file aand let windows do it for you. again, i have not done this yet because it has not given me that black screen since i increased my power limit in the ccc to 35 %
hope this helps figure out what is going on with these cards.

I didn't try that. But i have this card like for 3 months, i tried different solutions , none worked. I uninstalled the card a few days ago , and im sending it to RMA once more. Hope Asus service will do their job this time (which we pay for anyway.)

These problems are common to R290 series , every brand is effected by it. The problem is they don't offer a solution.
Even if these power settings, custom bios do work (which i doubt in many cases). It is manufacturers responsibility to offer new bios/driver , user shouldnt have to tweak these .

HSeldon
Level 7
I keep getting "black screens" and BSOD's. is there a way i can get a official information about the problem? so i can send this to the tech service and maybe get a replacement.

supramp
Level 7
If it makes you feel any better I am going through the exact same problem. Where you able to fix it. Here's my issue:

- Rig details. ASUS Maximus VI Hero V.1301, i5-4670K stock speeds, ASUS R9290-DC2OC-4GD5 catalyst 13.251, Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4gb) 2133 XMP, Windows 8.1 64 bit, Crorsair ax760 PSU, Corsair H100i, Samsung 840 EVO 120gb SSD (OS), Western Digital Caviar Blue 1Tb HDD, ASUS VX238H-W monitor.
- Driver details. From ASUS SUpport Downloads-ATI Display Driver 13.251WHQL and VBIOS update for R9290-DC2OC-4GD5
- after launching a game- if the game is server based, the screen will hiccup and/or freeze on server selection screen. Windows alert will pop up with ...has stopped responding but has recovered. (im at work and dont remember exactly what it said at the moment, sorry. once the game has loaded (or if its a single player game) the screen will lock up/freeze about 30 sec to 1 minute in game. only way out is CTRL+ALT+DEL end program, or hard shutdown if that doesnt work.
- Workarounds, none that I am aware of.
- unfortunately, this is a brand new rig, and I have no other GPU to test.

To Do: I plan on using AMD's site and installing the Catalyst software suite 13.12 after I run driver sweeper. If that doesnt work, Ill will attempt the new 14.2 beta. Also thought of trying 2 seperate PCIe cables from PSU to GPU, as opposed to the 8-pin pcie to 6+2 & 6+2 cable the AX 760 came with.

Have tried: reinstalling drivers, reinstalling windows 8.1, disabling intel graphics, disabling AMD audio, uninstalling Google Chrome.

HSeldon
Level 7
It's already in legacy mode.

Paul17041993
Level 8
fyi majority of blackscreens on the 290/X cards are caused by unstable memory, elpida ICs especially have this problem very frequently, your best bet is an RMA as either the memory is shot or the cooling is inadequate.

some other BIOSs seem to work around elpida's faults but its not always perfect results.

wvjeepguy81
Level 7
Same issue here. Bought two Powercolor r9 290 reference designs. Worked great the first night,but by the second night they were unusable due to constant black screens. I don't have Elpida version, they're Hynix. I talked to a guy at Newegg and he said they sounded defective to him and he would recommend a full refund. I'm really happy with AMD's low to mid range products,but their high end is a complete fail this time around,

I sent the card to RMA second time (first time it was sent back to me , claiming that it was fine.) . This time they managed to find the problem and its the hardware. But despite my legal rights , they insist on repairing it. But i ask for refund and this is my legal right.

Asus Tech Service has been terrible so far. They are uninformed, and they don't cooperate with the customer. Is there a way i can file a complaint about this service?