cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prolific Stuttering/Frame Drops

vanwalden36
Level 7
I've been trying to self diagnose and resolve this stuttering problem since about July/August of 2020. As I have updated drivers and BIOS, there has still been no improvement. Some random days I have no problems, but 85% of the time the stuttering occurs.

MB: Asus Prime X570
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x (OC to 4.2Ghz) - Bios: 3405 - Chipset: 2.11.26.106
GPU: ROG Strix 5700XT (OC to 2120Mhz) - Radeon: 20.45.35.03 - GPU TweakII Driver: 2.3.0.3
MEM: 16gb Corsair 3600Mhz C18 (D.O.C.P enabled)
PS: Rosewill 650W
NIC Driver: 12.18.11.1
Windows: 20H2

I still have not resolved it and still cannot pinpoint the exact cause of these stuttering issues. I experience stuttering and/or frame dropping in Rocket League, Apex Legends, and COD-Warzone. Specifically in RL it occurs when I'm going for an aerial hit, and in APEX/COD when I get into fire fights at medium to close range. At first I attributed it to poor network connectivity with the servers and such, and then I started blaming my own network. My wife is a network engineer, and blaming our network didn't go over well and still isn't the greatest topic to discuss. She's been helping as much as she can, and we think we've ruled out the network. I've recently replaced my MB through ASUS after using a USB NIC instead of the onboard port, and it should be a good sign of improvement. So got a refurb MB from ASUS after 4 weeks (don't get me started on that), still have issues, plugged in USB NIC again, but this time no improvement.

We have disabled or enabled just about everything regarding P2P blocking/forwarding, changing firewall settings, port forwarding, and just about everything else you can think of. Again, my wife is a network engineer so if you think she's missing something, tread lightly...We even tried running WireShark logs to try and verify if there was a network problem. Due to the amount of data in those logs, it takes a lot of time to review a 7-8min full game time of RL. Reviewing the logs, the verdict was inconclusive and didn't really do anything out of the ordinary that was cause for concern.

I've also reverted back to basic settings on CPU and GPU to run everything on default settings. Still no improvement, and seemed to make it worse. I have undervolted CPU and GPU, still no improvement and again seemed to make it worse. I've turned off XBOX game DVR, I've turned off Radeon recording stuff, I've limited FPS to 144 to match my 144hz monitor and lowered it to 120FPS but still no improvement. Everything was working fine up until about June/July 2020, and since then the stuttering has gotten more consistent.

There's so much I haven't listed of things we've tried, but if there's something you don't see please comment to try. I'll let you know if we've tried it or not. Let me know if you would like any video or screenshots of any information.
13 REPLIES 13

So I guess they're at least aware of the situation with the latest Radeon update in the release notes. But I've still experienced the problem whether I go to regular full screen. that was one of the very first things I tried.

Question, since I'm running only a 650W psu, would upgrading to a 750W possibly help? I can't find the page I saw it on, but basically said 650W was the minimum and 750W-850W are basically the sweet spots. Is it worth purchasing a new 750W or wait for the next Radeon update?

Just another update, and still the same problem. Here's latest video of the first game I played after the update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LDAciO2_oo&lc=Ugx6UCJSvfPpe3op8oR4AaABAg

I have seen this exact same problem when people use the cloud or one drive etc https://hitech-us.com/articles/entry/292/Ping-spikes-on-Wi-Fi-every-10-seconds-Solved