cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with RX 580 [solved]

Kinlyo123
Level 7
Hello dear forum people! I'm facing an issue with my newly bought rx580 and i would appreciate any advice. My problem is that when the card is connected to the psu via its 8pin cable the pc doesnt even boot, while when the cable is off it boots just fine. I was using a 7950 before, that needed 2x 6pin, with no issues at all. My specs are as follows:
Msi z87-g45 (bios v1.9)
i5 4670k
ROG Strix Radeon RX 580 TOP edition 8GB
G.Skill RipjawsX 16GB DDR3-2133MHz
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Coolermaster Real Power M1000
8 REPLIES 8

R5Eandme
Level 12
Kinlyo123 wrote:
Hello dear forum people! I'm facing an issue with my newly bought rx580 and i would appreciate any advice. My problem is that when the card is connected to the psu via its 8pin cable the pc doesnt even boot, while when the cable is off it boots just fine. I was using a 7950 before, that needed 2x 6pin, with no issues at all. My specs are as follows:
Msi z87-g45 (bios v1.9)
i5 4670k
ROG Strix Radeon RX 580 TOP edition 8GB
G.Skill RipjawsX 16GB DDR3-2133MHz
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Coolermaster Real Power M1000

Hello and welcome,

I am guessing that with the 8-pin cable connected, there is a drop in the voltage to the CPU or DRAM and that is preventing boot. Because it boots with the RX580 installed but without the cable, maybe the RX580 is not at fault but the cable or the PSU is the problem? In this scenario the RX580 current draw with the cable connected is too much for the PSU to provide, causing a voltage drop. Can you try a different cable or a different known good power supply?

Kinlyo123
Level 7
I followed your suggestion and tested with different cables as unfortunately i dont have a 2nd psu available. My psu has 2x8pin and 2x6 pin slots and 4 cables for the said connectors. I got the following results:
Either 8pin connector via either 8(6+2)pin cable (tested with rx580) = no boot
Either 6pin connector via either 6 pin cable (tested with my older 7950) = working
Either 8pin connector via either 8(6+2)pin cable (using only the 6,tested with 7950) = working

Hope it helps

Kinlyo123 wrote:
I followed your suggestion and tested with different cables as unfortunately i dont have a 2nd psu available. My psu has 2x8pin and 2x6 pin slots and 4 cables for the said connectors. I got the following results:
Either 8pin connector via either 8(6+2)pin cable (tested with rx580) = no boot
Either 6pin connector via either 6 pin cable (tested with my older 7950) = working
Either 8pin connector via either 8(6+2)pin cable (using only the 6,tested with 7950) = working

Hope it helps

Well, I guess this is progress, but it is still a bit confusing! You at least know it isn't the fault of the PSU. It appears that you only get the boot problems when adding the extra 2 pins to the 8(6+2) connector.

When you add the 2 pin to the 6 pin connector, the polarity of the 6 and 2 are matching? That is, all 4 positive pins are on one side and all 4 negative pins on the other side of the connector? I could see that if the 2 pin had opposite polarity of the 6 pin, it would create havoc. If not sure about that, you might try using a voltmeter to test the voltage and polarity that the 8(6+2) connector is providing to the RX580. They used to have yellow for positive wires and black for negative but it seems the wires are all black nowadays.

Good luck

Kinlyo123
Level 7
Tested a bit more and it seems connecting psu's 6pin slot to the rx580's 8pin slot via a straight 6pin cable (leaving the 2 further left pins on the card empty) works and the pc boots normally. Also using psu's 8pin slot via a 6+2pin cable (leaving the +2 pins of the cable disconnected from the card) works too. So the rx580 works when i connect 6pins to its slot and leaving the 2 far left empty regardless of where the other end of the cable on the psu is connected.

Kinlyo123 wrote:
Tested a bit more and it seems connecting psu's 6pin slot to the rx580's 8pin slot via a straight 6pin cable (leaving the 2 further left pins on the card empty) works and the pc boots normally. Also using psu's 8pin slot via a 6+2pin cable (leaving the +2 pins of the cable disconnected from the card) works too. So the rx580 works when i connect 6pins to its slot and leaving the 2 far left empty regardless of where the other end of the cable on the psu is connected.

Hi

I think you have to change your PSU,,, it might damage your GPu when 2pins less connected.

Flint018 wrote:
Hi

I think you have to change your PSU,,, it might damage your GPu when 2pins less connected.

I agree, it would be better to have all 8 pins connected if you are going to put any real demands on the GPU.

There might be something wrong with the internal circuitry of the PSU that affects those extra 2 pins. That is why I am curious what voltages show at the 8(6+2) connector. Also to make sure the 2 pins are not being inserted backwards with reversed polarity. I imagine that might create a short circuit, causing the PSU to shut down for self-protection.

Kinlyo123
Level 7
As it was almost certain the issue was caused by either the psu or the cable i contacted coolermaster with the details of the problem. They asked me for some infos printed on the cables and we found out both 6+2 cables arent the original ones that should come with the psu but instead they have been replaced by some used on be-quiet! psu models. The rest of the cables are indeed proper ones. I never owned another psu aside from this coolermaster m1000 that i bought back in the distant 2009 or so when i built my very first rig and have been using it until now. It seems the reseller did some shady business back in the day but it never came to surface as i always used the 6pin cables only. Seems its time to get a new psu, connect the card properly and move on. Shame as the cm one worked great all those years.
Thank you guys for your time and advices!

Kinlyo123 wrote:
As it was almost certain the issue was caused by either the psu or the cable i contacted coolermaster with the details of the problem. They asked me for some infos printed on the cables and we found out both 6+2 cables arent the original ones that should come with the psu but instead they have been replaced by some used on be-quiet! psu models. The rest of the cables are indeed proper ones. I never owned another psu aside from this coolermaster m1000 that i bought back in the distant 2009 or so when i built my very first rig and have been using it until now. It seems the reseller did some shady business back in the day but it never came to surface as i always used the 6pin cables only. Seems its time to get a new psu, connect the card properly and move on. Shame as the cm one worked great all those years.
Thank you guys for your time and advices!

Very good! You found the fault is with the cable. Too bad you can't get oem replacement cables for your trusty CM, but you never know how much life is left in an old PSU. It's cooling fan or capacitors may be ready to fail. Fortunately PSUs aren't overpriced like DRAM. Good luck.