cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to overclock RX 480 ROG Strix?

Kalyori
Level 7
Hi,

First time overclocker here. Just finished with the CPU a little while ago (i5 6600K @ 4.4GHz.)

I've read the guide for RX 460 here: http://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-graphics-cards/guide-overclock-rog-strix-rx-460/

I have a few questions...

1. Is it better to marginally up the voltage and find when it's stable rather than just maxing it?
2. What is considered a completely safe voltage for this card?
3. How does power target affect the overclocking?
4. Is it risky running out of stock speeds? Can my GPU get fried?

Appreciate any help!

Cheers
26 REPLIES 26

Nate152 wrote:
All right sounds good, what resolution do you game at and how is performance ?

I run at 3440x1440 and I find it to be quite good, even just on OC mode. Right now I'm getting between 40-60 FPS in Skyrim SE with everything maxed and a few mods installed, and Star Wars: Battlefront I play on Ultra with FPS from 45-70 depending on the map and location and 65-90 on medium. I intend to buy The Witcher 3 at some point as well, so I'll get to testing that out eventually.

Kalyori wrote:
I run at 3440x1440 and I find it to be quite good, even just on OC mode. Right now I'm getting between 40-60 FPS in Skyrim SE with everything maxed and a few mods installed, and Star Wars: Battlefront I play on Ultra with FPS from 45-70 depending on the map and location and 65-90 on medium. I intend to buy The Witcher 3 at some point as well, so I'll get to testing that out eventually.

@Kalyori,
thank you for sharing your overclock for RX480...i knew the memory clock (MHz) works well on those cards but you been more precise. 🙂
Asus Dual RX480 O4G - Core i5 3570K - P8Z77-V LE PLUS - (still on 2019)

Quick note on these RX480s, regardless of brand they do not respond well to too much heat & when the clockspeeds fluctuate like they do the power limit must be raised.

Check out Actually Hardcore Overclocking on YouTube, he goes over RX480 overclocking.

Because these RX480s are so sensitive, you're better off with a lower clock that's more stable. Don't rely on benchmarks like Firestrike to test stability, use the games you play, and you'll see how stable it can be.

It's preferred to undervolt & overclock over adding heaps of voltage and overclocking. Try to back off the voltage and raising the power limit to keep the thing stable, and keep an eye on the GPU power usage using something like GPUz, actually Asus GPU Tweak II I think shows all this, so you can use that. This card can pop up to over 200W the GPU alone when the voltage is cranked.

Keeping temps below 75 will definitely help prevent the clockspeed from fluctuating.

I've got an el-cheapo RX480 I picked up recently and it's nice and stable @1350/2250 (GPU/VRAM) playing stuff like Skyrim SE & Borderlands 2, gets a bit noisy, but it's a whirring, not a whine, so it's not terrible, and temps don't exceed 72C, b/c it's cold in Canada, and my aluminum case is nice and cool.

Good luck!

Kalyori wrote:

That's quite a high resolution for the RX480, but should be OK at lower quality settings like MEDIUM.

The WItcher 3 is a helluva title, and is rough on graphics cards.

I did notice for some reason testing the RX480 on my BenQ XL2730Z over my GTX1070 it seemed smoother (Freesync off) even though framerates were lower in games like Battlefield 1. Not sure why, maybe I had vsync on or off and didn't realize it.

For games like that I'd play with vsync settings, and one thing that was recommended somewhere online, I can't remember where, was to go into the AMD drivers and manually set tessellation to 8x over AMD optimized, which is something crazy like 64x, which has diminishing returns after 8x.

That's supposed to help AMD cards over Nvidia, which supposedly don't have any issues with tessellation at all.

Play around with it.

Yeah it ended up being vsync was on when I was using the RX480 LOL

Turned it on in FAST mode on the GTX1070 and it ran really nicely. DOH!

What software do you guys run to test stability.

I've was running my RX480 at 1400MHz core / 8160MHz mem and went as high as 1280mV on Vcore. It crashes after playing Wildlands for ~1 hour.

It ran Folding overnight without crasing. It ran RealBench stress test for a couple hours.

Anyway to bring out stability issues quicker than playing Wildlands for 1 hour? What do you use?