cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 Freezes/crashes

Nordbacca
Level 7
Hi ROG-forum users!

I have a problem with my HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 card.
If I run it on stock clock speed and start for example BF3 the PC freezes/crashes within 20 min, 70% of the times it crashes 5 seconds after the application starts.

I know that this is a well known problem after reading Stitch's thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12372-Radeon-HD-7970-DC2-TOP-Issues/) and that it is some kind of voltage-issue.

As I said above the PC freezes and I have to hard restart it. When the PC freezes my main monitor gets two colours and is vertically striped. My secondary often only gets black but it happens that the second monitor get the same pattern as the main but with other colours.
I've attached a image that display the frozen main screen. Though this time it got the colour blue so it's kind of hard to see the striped pattern but it's there.

If I lower my clock speed to 925MHz the PC doesn't freeze but I didn't buy a high end graphics card to lower the performance...

My setup is:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
GPU: HD7970-DC2T-3GD5
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
Sound card: ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus
RAM: 16GB 1866MHz

In order to RMA my card and need some kind of answer from Asus. So if anyone of the Moderators could at least just type a short answer and confirm that this is a problem that the card has it would be really appreciated.

And for the record all my drivers are up to date including my Motherboard BIOS.
6 REPLIES 6

regujohn
Level 7
i have same problem.but no solution until asus or amd allows voltage changes or bios update or driver.im really be disturbed this issue but still(since 1 months) i can't resolve this problem.if you solved this problem please help for me.

Thomas
Level 10
Hi,

I would suggest sending the card for RMA. It appears faulty!
Thomas Jenner
Asus UK

Spoony
Level 7
Thomas@Asus

your RMA department will just send the same card back saying its working only for it to do the same thing over and over. had that been there tried that and no its not the rest of my PC or his or others its your cards and something in the overclocked bios you really need to test and do a new one cos its a joke now.

pc never once BSOD with 1,2,3 or 4 6970 cards in but i have 3 of this card and does it alone or dual or tri and wont work right.

take it back get a new card of something else, i wish i could but since i moved countries i cant do jack about my problems so im out of pocket 1500 quid

Im having the exact same prob. I sent it back and got another card but it does the exact same thing. But this time I overclocked the GPU clock 1100MHZ and the Memory clock to 1500. That seems to run BF3 fine. But now Im having the same issues with MOH Warfighter. But MOH seems to crash randomly either with a black screen or a vertical stripes pattern. My old 6950 runs these 2 games perfectly fine without any crashes.
I have tried deleting all the video drivers and installing all different version drivers including ASUS and AMD websites
And I have tried a clean installation of windows 7
I have previously tried both XFX7970 and Sapphire 7970 both gives a loud high pitch noise when under load. I think there is a problem with these cards.
ALso is at idling temperature is 55C and the auto fan is at 20%. Is that normal?

These are my PC specs:

Mobo: Rampage IV Formula
CPU: Intel 3930k
RAM: Corsair CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R 16GB (4x4GB) 1866MHz DDR3 CL9 Vengeance Performance with XMP
Corsair H100 Cooler.
PSU: Antec Tru Quattro 850
HDD: Seagate Momentus XT 500Gb
Windows 7 64bit
Bios are up to date.

Man I really want my money back. Really disappointing for a high end card.

Retired
Not applicable
Are you guys doing any gpu overclocking?

most common..

vertical stripes use to be gpu ram related
black screen, use to be gpu core

This is on the Radeon 79 series gpus, often show when OC

Idle 55c?, sound your card is doing duty, while in idle.. And the fans should be more ramped up, than 20%

radeon 79 series,seem 2 got issues with Rampage X79, can occur when running 2/3/4 cards.. often freeze the screen (not only in eyefinity)

Nope. Happen even when its set to default. Had this issue since day one.
Just tried reinstalled new windows and install the new 12.11 beta drivers. still no go. havent been able to play a complete map of bf3.