cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crossfire question?

immaturegizzmoe
Level 10
OK, this is probably a silly question but I am trying to understand the bigger picture so here goes. I have a Matrix 7970 Platinum graphics card. I have noticed that some of the new games releasing this summer like Shadow of Morador and Watch dogs have a 7970 gpu listed under the recommended settings. I know that as some of the newer games begin to releasethis year the
recommended hardware will rise above my card. I have never used crossfire before, I know how to install and enable crossfire but my question is what does 2 cards do to your system? do they double your stats, such as my card runs at 1150 mhz and has 3 gb of memory so does that jump to 6 gb of memory at 2300 mhz? What I am trying to figure out is when the recommended specs are higher than my single card how do I know what I have if I run crossfire? and is it worth it to run crossfire or just buy a bigger card. Hope i Made that easy to understand, It's hard to get my point across because I dont know how to word it.
3 REPLIES 3

Heini
Level 11
immaturegizzmoe wrote:
Hope I Made that easy to understand, It's hard to get my point across because I dont know how to word it.

Easy enuff to understand. I don't know the technical answers but I do know that one big card is better than two medium cards. I play Hitman Absolution and adding another card in crossfire gave me about 5 fps (minimum). Add in that AMD drivers and crossfire "can" be contentious I would strongly suggest looking at a single card solution.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
No it doesn't double your stats. Your VRAM for example still stays at 3GB and your cores still stay at 1150 or whatever but now there are two of them and they can sare the work so get almost twice as much done. This is called scaling. Theoretically two GPUs could double performance..but they need to co-ordinate etc so actually scaling is less than 2x and depends on the game or application. You can check the net for scaling figures. Two cards generally scale quite well and sometimes close to 2x. Three cards don't do so well and four cards even less well.

Best is always the best single card you can get. with things like the 290X matrix out now and 780Tis you can almost get double the performance of 680s and 7970s in one card like running 680SLI or 7970xfire. So probably best to sell 7970 and get a top line single card if funds permit...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1059?vs=1032
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1072?vs=1032

or wait for GTX880 etc.

Great, thanks for the information, It was very helpful