cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix RX Vega 64/56 Release Date???

panzlock
Level 12
As per thread title, has anyone heard anything other than "September" for release of the RX Vega Strix? With GPU prices increasing and corporate greed taking advantage of the current cryptomining infatuation I want to know how much this new variant will cost. The reference RX Vega 56 has already seen a price increase which makes it around $50 CAD more expensive than existing GTX 1070 stock. In the past reference card models have typically been more expensive than AIB partner cards, however I'm still concerned that the 56 in particular will be sold at GTX 1080 prices given that the 64 is already priced where the 1080 Ti sits.

I picked the wrong time to assemble a new build. Although prices on other components have been reasonable with rebates, the price of new VGA's really nullifies the savings I've been able to achieve thus far. Again, I've heard little about the ROG Strix Vega other than September release date, some pictures and a respectable performance review which i can no longer find. And guru3d also took down their review due to an ASUS error which found the wrong card in guru3d's hands:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/review-asus-radeon-rog-rx-vega-64-strix-8gb.html

Lets get it together, people.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.
88 REPLIES 88

Guyvergamingtv
Level 7
here in the UK we are slowly getting the Vega64 cards for pre order ( https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/amd/radeon-rx-vega-64 ) but atm im not liking the look of them bar the asus card. and some are just like the ref cards with a not so great cooling system. with all the problems AMD are having with this Vega release im truly considering going back to Nvidia for the first time since the 90's when they first started. if the 1080ti comes down in price in the jan sales i may get the Asus version of that.
im just not sure what to do atm.

Guyvergamingtv
Level 7
nice looking card but the price is stupid. no more amd bang for your buck. looks like 1080ti is on the horizon for me then.

panzlock
Level 12
Cost of HBM 2 driving the price up. Hence all the noise about AMD going GDDR6 for Navi.

Even the Titan V, which sports HBM 2 is a ridiculous $3000. Christ, I recently bought a used Volvo S80 T6 for only $1200 more.

And speaking of memory, DDR4 prices expected to climb in 2018, as well.

In either case, I may be done with Vega, as well. I am certainly done with ASUS and the Strix, no more doubt here.

Guyvergamingtv
Level 7
what you gona go for next? the MSI 1080TI looks nice but out of stock where i get my gear from.

panzlock
Level 12
Well, my options are limited as my daughter and I are building this PC together for her so it's hard to say what I'm going for next because this is really her rodeo. She wanted an all AMD build. Personally I also want to stick with AMD mainly due to Intel's policy to change socket or chipset every time someone over there has a nap. And Nvidia releasing Titans like they're rain droplets. And now, the latest $3000 Titan V.

Anyway, we already got the R7 1700 and for VGA she wanted the ROG Strix RX Vega but I had to tell her there are better options. These include PowerColors Red Devil which she really loves, and then there is the Sapphire Nitro + which she also took a liking to. For custom Vega the Sapphire is at the top of my list.

Recently there have been more reviews surfacing detailing custom RX Vega performance and the Strix STILL looks bad so I'm recommending everyone steer clear of her. The Red Devil looks the best performance wise, whilst the Nitro + looks the best aesthetically. And although the Nitro + has 3 PCI-E power connectors she doesn't actually need more power than the others based on WCCFTECH reviews. The power draw was much less than expected, but the consensus was that the power delivery was streamlined (whatever that means).

Here's what I think will happen in the end. The Strix RX Vega which is still worse than its reference siblings is gone. ASUS mucked that up. PCs Red Devil is the next Vega option but will most likely not be available in Canada and I don't want to pay another premium on delivery, ffs. So, that leaves the Sapphire Nitro + 56 as the sole option if the build is to become all AMD as per specification. Given the cards specs, peformance and styling I will go with Sapphire's Nitro + 56, under volt her a tad, maintain fps parity whilst siphoning (hopefully) just slightly more power than Nvidia's 1080. Then I'll report back here and tell anyone who's interested whether or not it was a worthwhile purchase.

Finally got my Strix 56 in, if anyone has anyone questions about it let me know! It's by far one of the nicest cards I've ever owned is MUCH cooler/quieter than the AMD blower cards.. Anyone else get their hands on it yet?

Gud Nite wrote:
Finally got my Strix 56 in, if anyone has anyone questions about it let me know! It's by far one of the nicest cards I've ever owned is MUCH cooler/quieter than the AMD blower cards.. Anyone else get their hands on it yet?

How does it perform relative to the reference Vega 56? Reviews showed the ASUS 64 Strix inferior with the Sapphire Nitro+ having the best cooling, and the PowerColor Red Devil best performing, I believe, in terms of fps.

On a side note, I messed up building this new PC. When I was looking for a Vega card they were nowhere to be found here in Canada. From ANY manufacturer. So I waited a little. Only to be greeted with higher prices and infinite "Out of Stock" bulletins.

Just now prices are beginning to come down to rational levels. I hope Nvidia releases the 11XX series soon. That should at least help drive prices down faster on old stock.

colesdav
Level 7
Hi, I did not see your thread and I asked questions about the Asus Vega 64 Strix here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105712-Asus-RX-Vega-64-Strix-Performance-versus-PowerColor...

Any chance you could comment on my questions please? thanks.