cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS R9 Fury Strix

ismithers
Level 7
OK so a quick request, please read the full post before replying as I've asked elsewhere and had people say things "Sounds like a dud cable" or something along those lines. I understand it is long, but I do appreciate your time investment and assistance.

So I have an ASUS R9 Fury Strix Direct CU III GPU - what a mouthful. I also have 3 monitors connected to it as follows from left to right:

• Samsung LU28D590D/XY 3840x2160@60Hz
  • BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440@144Hz
  • Samsung LU28D590D/XY 3840x2160@60Hz

I'm using the Displayport cables that came with the monitors, from the box. All is working absolutely fine, not so much as a flicker or even a single pixel out of place.

However, and this is where the drama begins. I have a desk that I can raise/lower, one of those electric height adjustable desks. I recenlty built a new PC and my tower sits on the floor. When raised, the cables are not long enough to reach all the monitors. So off I went, and researched how long a Displayport cable can be, and the certification says the maximum limit is 3m without an active adapter.

OK fine, I went and purchased 3 new Displayport cables, fully certified. 1x2m in length for the monitor closest to the tower, and 2x 3m in length for the other two.

I tried the Comsol brand first as they were cheap.
All 3 monitors showed "no signal detected" messages on the OSD.

I returned those and looked for a better brand, eventually settling on Startech.
The Samsung monitors displayed a picture, but it was limited to 720p@30Hz. Hardly acceptable. The BenQ showed "no signal detected". After talking to Startech tech support, they noticed that the bundled cables that came with the Samsung monitors, were 20pin/20conductor cables. Startech's ones are 19/19 only.
So I returned those too... retailers the world over are loving me right now. 😕

On to brand #3. I went with Alogic. With these cables, the Samsung monitors showed a picture. However it flickered rapidly on/off and had strips of corrupted pixels all over the place. Essentially no go. The BenQ monitor worked fine with the 2m cable.

At this stage, I was frustrated and contacted Samsung's technical support. After some back and forth (they were super helpful actually) they said that they believe my GPU isn't outputting a high enough voltage to created a reliable signal over a 3m Displayport cable. They suggested getting an active Displayport adapter, or increasing the GPU voltage. Researching online and active Displayport adapters are only needed for cables beyond the specification max, ie from 3m to 30m. <= 3m is within the specification.

So I contacted ASUS, whose technical support is being a little less helpful than Samsung's, and they are saying I can't adjust the voltage output for the GPU Displayport ports, and that the cable is (to quote them) "awfully long". I don't have as much confidence in the ASUS tech support given the support ticket transcript so wanted to ask the community:

Has anyone else had this issue?
Are Samsung correct, the GPU voltage output is insufficient for anything longer than the included 1.2m Displayport cable?
What to do?
Is there any way to verify what I am being told? I'm going to borrow a multimeter from a friend and check the cable resistance, to see if it drops off significantly when compared to the bundled cables.

Surely I can't be the first person on the internet to encounter this and want a longer cable... or am I? o___o
7 REPLIES 7

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi ismithers 😉 A frustrating problem.

I once had this problem with running a 3mtr HDMI and loss of signal due to its length. Not all cables perform as to the stated spec.
Have you read this? http://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/cable-length-guide/
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Hey MeanMachine, thanks for the reply. Yes I did see that page on CableChick. They state that 5m is the maximum length, but I couldn't find that confirmed in the certification. It states that for non-active copper Displayport cables, they need to be 3m or less. That being said, considering I can't get 3m to work reliably, I won't hold my breath. I have returned the first two brands of cable which do not work, and the retailer of the current Alogic cable also confirmed I can return it. So they will be going back too if I can't find a solution.

EDIT: Spoke to a guy at a local PC hardware store, and he said that for 3 displays, I may need an active adapter (for the third display). Looking on AMD's site, it seems to really only ever talk about active adapters in relation to Eyefinity, which is not what I am doing. Did I miss something?

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi ismithers.:D
Mmm, I don't think you missed anything. I think it will come down to trial and error but clearly the display interface of choice.

DisplayPort specifies a maximum cable length of 3 meters for copper and fifteen meters or more for fiber optic.
Being a packet-based transmission system it should enable better use of bandwidth and four link cables would increase data capacity.

I will be interested to see how you resolve this.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
I will be interested to see how you resolve this.

Somewhat depressingly, I too will be interested to see how I resolve this. Stay tuned! 🙂

OK so a quick updated. The store I called suggested I try each Displayport on the GPU individually.

I have attached a pic.

The only Displayport to function correctly, is the one on the right of the HDMI port.
The left-most and right-most ones don't work with a 3m cable.

Do you think my GPU has faulty Displayports on it?

P.S. I have tried to change the title of my post to be "ASUS R9 Fury Strix & Long Displayport Cable" but it won't seem to update, so if a mod comes across this and can make that magic happen that will be ace. 🙂

ismithers wrote:

Do you think my GPU has faulty Displayports on it?

P.S. I have tried to change the title of my post to be "ASUS R9 Fury Strix & Long Displayport Cable" but it won't seem to update, so if a mod comes across this and can make that magic happen that will be ace. 🙂

Test the display ports with shorter cables as it may be that length is the problem.

By all means start a new thread with that heading and someone else may help and advise.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Test the display ports with shorter cables as it may be that length is the problem.

By all means start a new thread with that heading and someone else may help and advise.

Yeah the shorter cables work as initially mentioned.

I've resolved this issue, but its not a good solution as it doesn't solve the problem, it just avoids it.
I've been wanting to purchase two more BenQ monitors to have a full 144Hz gaming setup with three monitors, and to do so I was attempting to sell my Samsungs, which I successfully did today.
So I have avoided the issue, by removing the problematic hardware. Understandably this is about as good a solution as fixing a flat tyre on your car, by purchasing a new car. So to the people from the future who come here experiencing a similar issue, sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

For what its worth, my next step was going to be:
1) Test the cable resistance of both the included Displayport cables, and the purchased 3m length Displayport cables and compare them to see if there is a marked difference which could impact the transmission of the signal.
2) Test out a Displayport adapter to boost the signal.
3) ASUS support got in contact and were willing to RMA my GPU, but since I have done a custom paint job on it, I am not sure they would be happy when they received it heh. If yours is unmodified, ask ASUS to confirm your Displayports are functioning correctly.

That's it. Thanks!