cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus R9 Fury Strix Thermal Pad for GPU CORE

kondziowy
Level 7
Hello,
So it seems Asus is using some kind of thermal pad for Fiji GPU core in R9 Fury Strix cards. The heatsink is not touching GPU die and HBM memory evenly - so that is a reason why thermal pad was used.

This has to be very high end thermal pad. The amount of Gelid GC-Extreme thermal paste I had to put to make sure 100% of the die and memory were making contact with the heatsink, results in +10C temps or more.

Does anyone know what is it and where to get it or something similar. It is about 0.5mm thick.

Screenshots: 1, 2.

The best I found is Laird TPCM 920 0,51mm thick. No idea if this stuff is appropriate for 250W+ card... If the numbers are legit and its 2 W/mK - that is 8 times worse than Fujipoly XR-m...
3 REPLIES 3

gn-cd
Level 7
Why has there not been a response yet? It's been more than two months now.
I have the same problem with the stock heatsink.
I was forced to use an alternative heatsink and make my own fittings for the board out of sheets of metal. I'm using two noctua fans on the heatsink and the temperatures are controlled by the cpu, so its not really the most ideal choice here... though it does not overheat anymore, like with the stock heatsink.
I've tried almost 4-6 different thermal pastes, in varying amounts and different application methods.

Makes me wonder if I will keep buying Asus products anymore.

Yes, so the obvious recommendation is to never take the cooler off. There is no reason to do this, you will NOT get better temperatures with thermal paste on stock cooler. You WILL get worse temperatures, and because of the gap - thermal paste can migrate after many thermal cycles and create empty spots/dots. In my opinion thermal pad used will not dry out and will not lose it's performance over time, so you are good with the stock cooling.

The stock thermal pad is very high end, and has very good thermal conductivity in Z axis (from gpu to heat-sink). I have never found something that would transfer that much heat through a 0,5mm gap. Maybe I didn't search good enough.

In your case, I would just ask if Asus could replace thermal pad on your cost and with you covering the shipping cost. I think the stock cooler is pretty good, and it's worth it. They replaced my thermal pad, and did it very quick. I had very good experience with Asus customer support, and will probably buy Asus products again.

kondziowy
Level 7
Fast forward 2 years and finally something similar is showing up in stores http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/ic-graphite-thermal-pad-available-for-test-and-review.815439...
IC Graphite Thermal Pad. https://youtu.be/YpphKzmDiJM?t=87 "What is this??" - Well I guess Asus used alien technology in 2015.
I think this is a little bit too thin(I'm not sure), maybe they will release thicker version.

ok so looks like it's Hitachi TC-HM03. https://youtu.be/HNxuhLUAh8A?t=190
finally