cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Matrix Platinum R9 290X, OC Tool and benching with chilled water

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
Recently i received the OC Tool for the Matrix Card, that where made available for the ROG Supreme OC Overclock team members tool by Asus (super !).

The package contained the OC Tool, 2 cables and ... 2 tiny connectors. As age is taking its toll, I had to find my reading glass to see where it should be placed. the pins where pretty darn small. The connector needs to placed on the GPU pcb, mind you, the location where it has to go is only accessible after disassembling the Matrix Platinum. Both the Air Cooler and the backplate have to be removed.

After studying it once more it thought it was maybe wise to see how my soldering skills were doing. Well that was a real fun route to follow, it sucked at it! But practice makes perfect (and maybe a little help from a local electronics shop), I finally got it done. After fixing the connector the LN2 OC mode had to be unlocked also by soldering a little bridge between 2 copper dots.

well why talk... here are a number of pictures
28 REPLIES 28

meankeys
Level 13
I used a weller SP23L 23 watts worked fine on a GTX 680 Hot wire I did.

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-SP23LK-25-Watt-Soldering-Iron/dp/B0009ZD2AG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1406...

I have a RadioShack® Digital Soldering Station for bigger jobs

twisted1
Level 12
Don't put heatsinks on components that don't need them, and don't run a 3000rpm fan hittin the heatsink taking the component with it.

Working again though 🙂

Menthol
Level 14
That's good advice, anyone know how much voltage can be applied to core and memory yet, are you guys waiting for me to be the first to fry a Matrix?
On the 780ti's I have by another manufacturer I have ran as high as 1.6 to 1.7 volts on core and 1.85 volts on the memory while my card was under chilled water, any idea if that is to much, not enough. I am not recommending anyone to use voltages like this as this is definitely at your own risk, so please don't apply to your card what I have to mine, it is likely to destroy an expensive GPU.

Menthol wrote:
That's good advice, anyone know how much voltage can be applied to core and memory yet, are you guys waiting for me to be the first to fry a Matrix?
On the 780ti's I have by another manufacturer I have ran as high as 1.6 to 1.7 volts on core and 1.85 volts on the memory while my card was under chilled water, any idea if that is to much, not enough. I am not recommending anyone to use voltages like this as this is definitely at your own risk, so please don't apply to your card what I have to mine, it is likely to destroy an expensive GPU.

Check this out also, http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2637

meankeys
Level 13
Hay Menthol I hope you don't fry 1 before I do lol may be Z or paw can shed some light on that voltage subject. I am waiting on my pump as the two I have now wont push the water through my loop with the chiller and everything hooked up. I cant wait to fire this puppy up. My Matrix water blocks are do here tomorrow. Yeah 🙂

@Pete... what are we looking at? what happen Pete.

meankeys wrote:
Hay Menthol I hope you don't fry 1 before I do lol may be Z or paw can shed some light on that voltage subject. I am waiting on my pump as the two I have now wont push the water through my loop with the chiller and everything hooked up. I cant wait to fire this puppy up. My Matrix water blocks are do here tomorrow. Yeah 🙂

@Pete... what are we looking at? what happen Pete.

I had a heatsink on the component that I solderer back on. And that heatsink had adhesive tape on is which was very strong. And then a 3000rpm fan hit the heatsink and took the component with it clean of the PCB 🙂 It's a Radeon 5850 which OC's really well, up to 1,5V on gpu 🙂

Sadly when I was gonna improve the solder and set the component back directly on the PCB I screwed it up so I need a replacement that I can solder on there. It's a ref 5850. I have a pile of dead cards but none of them seem to have a component similar to that one on them.

Menthol
Level 14
I hope none of us burn anything and have great results. Paw and Dartmaul both amaze me with there AMD results, I have no idea how they do it, I am pretty sure they are hiding secrets from me

twisted1
Level 12
The 290x cards have a weak mem controller, to much Vmem can kill it. So go easy on Vmem. I think Darth killed a card with Vmem.

meankeys
Level 13
hmm.... interesting. thanks Pete