cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Artifacts on new Strix R9 390X

Mennox
Level 7
Hi all,

I bought a new Strix R9 390X which replaced my old HD5850 (massive jump :D) - I love the card, runs all games on max and great performance wise.

I have installed the ASUS GPU Tweak II software and mostly run my game on the standard settings. I have noticed the odd artifact on the screen (see screenshot), but when I use either Gaming mode or OC mode in GPY Tweak, the artifacts generally become more apparent.

It doesnt happen all the time and it doesnt affect performance, but can be a bit of an eye sore. I spoke to ASUS support who says I would need to try the card in another motherboard which I am unable to do without stripping my other pc down to fit my PSU to make sure it meets the requirements. I have spoken to the shop I bought it from who said they will test, but to be honest I dont want to be without my card for too long.

I am thinking it could be the motherboard, it is a Gigabyte P55M-UD2 which is around 6-7 years old now, and when I first installed the card, the BIOS logo screen was all pixelated....so I am assuming it could be related. Hopefully it is down to the motherboard as I am looking to replace later in the year.

I have shared my link below of gameplay from the other week from Far Cry Primal on Ultra using the OC mode, and during the 10 second clip, it is really apparent.

http://plays.tv/video/56faf429b4c6a6e1ba

Has anyone come across a similar issue before?

Screenshot:
7 REPLIES 7

Mennox
Level 7
Also, my motherboard has 2 PCIE slots (2.0 x16 and 2.0 x4) - would it be worth testing the card in the x4 slot and would I see a drop in performance?

Happens in most games - although sometimes its not as bad but the worst is in the link I posted.

Hi! Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I was googling for the same problem and bumped here.

I also have a R9 390X, but it's not from Asus. Anyway, I have EXACTLY the same problem when the card reaches 90+ celsius degrees. I'm trying different solutions (not buying liquid cooling so soon) and found it by lowering the core voltage, making a custom fan speed curve in Afterburner AND limiting the max temp at 85 ºC.

The undervoltage thing seems to help. Unfortunately this card heats up a lot even with custom cooling and the max temp AMD sets it in drivers by default is ridiculously high. This is the only way I found to stop these damn artifacts.

Also, you could try to only adjust the max temp in the overdrive global settings, but that will give you a lot of throttling.

Also², you should limit the max framerate at 60 fps or something, letting the card rest and not overheat without need.

Well, this is my five cents... Hope this help you, my friend.

Nate152
Hi Mennox

That's artifacting all right, it usually happens if the vram is overclocked too far or is maybe getting too hot.

Try running your 390x at default speed, and see temps aren't a problem, would probably be good to set the fan to 100%.

You could try enabling vertical sync, I believe it's called vertical refresh in the catalyst control center.

It looks like it could be the monitor cable too.

390x Strix here as well. Getting the same artifacts, but not all the time. Added an extra fan to my case (Fractal R5) but card still runs crazy hot with fans making a lot of noise.

Nate152