cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7970 matrix black screen. RMa again?

mistax
Level 7
So earlier today my computer just blue screened and than when i rebooted after the windows login the screen would stay black. So i booted into safemode and uninstalled the 7970 drivers and was able to load back into windows normally, but when trying to install the lastest drivers it would just instantly go into the black screen and there was no way out beside restarting the computer. I'm on windows 8.1 with the most recent update.

I hope this is just a driver/software issue since this would be my 4th time RMAing the card. My first 2 were for artificats issue my 3rd the card just died. The most recent RMA is the one i'm using and it's also the first to not have any stability issues at stock speed.
17 REPLIES 17

LoGAReTM
Level 7
are you talking about 14.4 RC1 Catalyst Driver?

if so I have the same issue with R9-280X Matrix Platinum, I had to install 14.3 to get it to work, no BSOD though..

this was just 13.4 or something i believe. Well i did a fresh install and bueno. Took it over to a friend house who is using a 7970 reference and stuck it in his computer and same thinig.

mistax
Level 7
http://imgur.com/a/eDX0t is what it looks like.

LoGAReTM
Level 7
hmmm, I was looking for someone with my issue, but it seems you have a different story than mine, anyways; before you RMA your card check the cable that connects to the monitor, it might have damaged pins, if you used the same cable in your friend's PC, that might be it. if not then there is some other scenarios:

*assuming your PSU can handle the card, my card has larger Power phase design than the reference one, causing it to draw more power.

*temps, does it overheat? the fans might not work properly or the heat sink is dusty.

if not then, sorry I couldn't be of much help 😞

I have what i think is the same issue as you.
I have fresh installed Win7,8,8.1 and all function fine until such point as you install the AMD 14.4 drivers.
Uninstalling them returns the system to use again.

Things tried:

Bios update to the mobo (Maximus v Gene) and this has not helped.
Altered the PCI-E settings to Gen 2 like others have and this didn't help
Changed Secure boot settings in case of UEFI issues
Changed PCI slot

You got any further working your issue out?

i've bought it to a friend place who has a ref 7970 and swap out his card for mine and same problem. I'm in the progress of rmaing it, i think the replacement will be a 280x? not sure though.

mistax
Level 7
well this is depressing. Almost 2 and 1/2 weeks now and all i get is an email every few days that say we are checking for stocks update on a 280x. I hope this doesn't leave a sour taste about RMA after the great experience i've had with them in the past.

martyn
Level 10
Running 14.4 with no issues on crossfire
Rampage iv Extreme.....3930 i7.....32gb Corsair Vengeance....Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme....Matrix HD 7970 x 2 in crossfire....Creative Fatality Champion Soundcard - With front drive bay....Themaltake Toughpower XT Gold 1475 watt power supply.....Samsung SSD 830 512gb...Samsung 1TB HD x 2....Samsung Blu Ray drive....Samsung DVD drive...Windows 7 Ultimate....Thermaltake Overseer RX-1 case

twisted1
Level 12
I have 2 matrix cards and one of them had this issue, black screen after win logo anim. Without drivers installed it didn't blackscreen.

I tried everything, different mb, psu, cpu, mem. I've now RMA'd the card and got my money back.