cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X670E Hero Controlling Temperature

gderreck
Level 8
Greetings,

This is my first AMD machine, and I have upgraded from a 9900K machine. As you can see from my specs, the machine has a 7950x CPU attached to an X670E Hero board. I am struggling to understand how best to setup my fans.

In the BIOS, I had my radiator and chassis fans running off the CPU temperature. All seemed well, until I ran a stress test in Aida64 and. When I started the test, the CPU diode temperature went immediately to ~95C while the CPU temperature hovered around 51C.

The fans stayed around idle speeds. I thought that was a bit strange, until I realized that the fan speeds set in BIOS were running off the CPU temperature, while the CPU diode temperature ran much higher. Please see attached image.

I didn't see a setting in BIOS to run the fans off the CPU tdie. I then setup Fan Control, a Windows 3rd party utility, and tied the fan curves to the CPU tdie, which is the same as the diode temperature in Aida64. I went back into Aida64 and re-ran the test. The fans immediately increased to expected speeds. The CPU diode temperature still ran up to ~95C. However, the frequency was a bit higher.

It seems the system is designed to run die temperature up to ~95C and change the frequency to keep the temperature in an acceptable range. Is that the case?

-am I wasting time and electricity tying the fan speeds to the CPU diode? Should I run fans off BIOS at lower CPU temperature and fans speeds, and accept lower frequencies?
-should I be running my fans off the diode temperature using Fan Control, to get higher fan speeds and slightly higher frequencies?
-should I continue running the fans off the BIOS and use the (lower) CPU temperature range to control the fans?

It should be clear that I am not sure how to proceed. I suppose a response could be for me to 'set it up in a way that I am comfortable with'. Fair enough. However, can't believe that AMD and Asus would create a new generation of equipment without considering it should be configured by their users.

Any guidance will be most appreciated,

Graham
0 REPLIES 0